PDA

View Full Version : *HELP FAST* How do I bleed my brakes?

Narly R
11-01-2003, 03:53 PM
I feel retarted, i did it b4 but I have foregotten how, I undid that little bolt on my brake, and pumped the brakes until fluid came out, the shut them and pumped my brakes more, LOTS more, and nothing happened...:huh

:( What do I do?

AtvMxRider
11-01-2003, 04:05 PM
Pump the brakes a few times then hold them. Then opne the bleeder. Keep topping off the resevoir.

310Rduner
11-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Make sure that you keep the brake lever pulled in when you open the bleeder nut. If you let off the brake lever when that bleeder is loose, air will come into the brake lines, and make your bleeding experience take a lot longer.

Keep the reservoir covers open, make sure it is full of fluid, and do not let it get below the level while bleeding. Close the bleeder nut and pull in the brake lever repeatedly until it becomes VERY firm. Hold in the brake lever, and loosen the bleeder until brake fluid shoots out.

You will be done when the fluid squirts out in a steady stream, and is not interupted mid-flow, and the brake is firm. If you are bleeding the front brakes, I would take off the tires or you will have brake fluid all over the inside of your rim.

ReconRider25
11-01-2003, 04:17 PM
why do you have to leave the reservoirs open? i never take the cap off mine when i bleed them and it works fine.

310Rduner
11-01-2003, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by ReconRider25
why do you have to leave the reservoirs open? i never take the cap off mine when i bleed them and it works fine.

Because it is easier to see how much fluid is in the reservoir, and it also is supposed to make it pump/bleed faster or better.

Narly R
11-01-2003, 04:52 PM
THANK YOU!!!!!

I appreciate it. ;) :cool:

EX Stud
11-25-2003, 08:34 PM
what is the bleeder valve and how do you open it??

I need to bleed mine bad......don't work at all

is it the the little fitting that looks like a grease fitting with the black rubber top on it??

11-25-2003, 09:03 PM
thats it exstud...also, i have messed w/ mine for a while now &my brake fluiod i nthe reservoir never goes down....I have to fill the master cylinder directly & then they are really mushy for like 2 pumps then they dont work at all...is something clogged? my master cylinder need a rebuild?

Narly R
11-27-2003, 11:32 PM
I have no idea man.... :( maybe try cleanin it......:ermm:

muff
11-28-2003, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
thats it exstud...also, i have messed w/ mine for a while now &my brake fluiod i nthe reservoir never goes down....I have to fill the master cylinder directly & then they are really mushy for like 2 pumps then they dont work at all...is something clogged? my master cylinder need a rebuild?

thats a hard one...has it always been like this? or did you install new lines and they're not working?

maybe you should try unbolting the line off the caliper and see if your gettin fluid down there or not :confused:

11-28-2003, 11:25 AM
it was like this about 3 days after I put some harley davidosn dot 5 brake fluid in there...

muff
11-28-2003, 12:16 PM
umm your only suppose to use dot 3 or 4 :(

did you mix the dot 5 in with what was in there?

11-28-2003, 12:34 PM
yes i did....someone said it could cause the rubber to enflame but I dont know :confused: