PDA

View Full Version : Hot start button

GNCC#829
10-31-2003, 07:18 PM
What is a hot start button for? A couple of the mags say that the 450 has one on the left side of the handlebars.

Guy400
11-01-2003, 04:40 AM
These new 4-strokes have difficulty starting when the engine is hot. This button just engages a circuit on the carb to ease starting. (Ever see a guy wreck a YZF dirtbike during a race and have to kick it for 5 minutes before it'll start?)

11-01-2003, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by Guy400
These new 4-strokes have difficulty starting when the engine is hot. This button just engages a circuit on the carb to ease starting. (Ever see a guy wreck a YZF dirtbike during a race and have to kick it for 5 minutes before it'll start?)

no its all myth, once u know how to start yer bike its no diff than strarting a xr 400 or cr 250

Guy400
11-01-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by freeride132
no its all myth, once u know how to start yer bike its no diff than strarting a xr 400 or cr 250 Well than an awful lot of people don't know how to start their bikes because I see everytime I go to the races. When one of the newer thumpers stall they have a heck of a time getting it going again. I'd say 75% of the stalls I see have trouble starting again. Plus, if it really wasn't that widespread of a problem I doubt Honda would go to the trouble of adding a Hot Start button.

QuadTrix6
11-13-2003, 06:45 PM
Why wouldnt an electric start quad have a hot start? The electric start is more powerful then a kick?

Doibugu2
11-13-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by QuadTrix6
Why wouldnt an electric start quad have a hot start? The electric start is more powerful then a kick?

The Honda doesn't have electric start, only kick.

Out_Sider
11-13-2003, 07:08 PM
i dont think he was asking that...........i think he meant why wouldnt a quad w/ electric start have a hot start on it.........because when u have electric start, the starter motor turns the motor over as many times as needed to start the motor....apposed to a kick start which only spins the motor over when you kick it..so its alot more difficult to get a kick starter cranked up, then a electric, so thats why they put the hot start on it.

jdt
11-13-2003, 08:27 PM
I think it's because of the new electronics, but some guys said that the TRX450R is one of the quickest and easiest kick starting motor they have ever seen. EVEN AFTER A FEW LAPS and its HOT.

11-13-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by GNCC#829
What is a hot start button for? A couple of the mags say that the 450 has one on the left side of the handlebars.

HIGH COMPRESSION 4 STROKES ARE FAIRLY EASY TO START WHEN COLD, BUT VERY DIFFICULT WHEN HOT. THE HOT START BUTTON WHEN ACTIVATED ALLOWS A "CONTROLLED AIR LEAK" TO CREATE A LEAN CONDITION TO EASE STARTING. AS SOON AS THE ENGINE IS RUNNING YOU DEACTIVATE THE BUTTON.

QuadTrix6
11-15-2003, 04:36 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
The Honda doesn't have electric start, only kick.
I know. I was talking abt any 4 stroke with electric start ( raptor, 400ex, yfx etc..) to see why they dont have a hot start button

Originally posted by Out_Sider
i dont think he was asking that...........i think he meant why wouldnt a quad w/ electric start have a hot start on it.........because when u have electric start, the starter motor turns the motor over as many times as needed to start the motor....apposed to a kick start which only spins the motor over when you kick it..so its alot more difficult to get a kick starter cranked up, then a electric, so thats why they put the hot start on it.

Thanks

adamwn
11-21-2003, 04:02 AM
In a new review I read, it states the starting process as this: When cold (first start of the day) put choke on and kick, should start right up and very easily! And when hot, with your left hand push the hot start switch and then kick...it should start right up easily just like when you have the choke on. now turn hot start off and continue drag racing yfz's up comp hill!!!

Honda Jay
11-21-2003, 10:47 PM
sounds like that 450 should start up pretty well cold, and fairly (compared to the other 4strokers) well when hot:huh

Jayson

SHADETREE101
11-24-2003, 09:42 PM
THE BUTTON IS A TIMING RETARD FOR THE COIL IT SOUNDS LIKE, WHICH WOULD MAKE IT FIRE MUCH EASIER. I DON'T SEE HOW JUST A BUTTON COULD OPEN A VALVE WITH OUT IT BEING A CABLE PULL OR LEVER. BIG COMPRESSION ENGINES COMMONLY NEED TO RUN A TIMING RETARD FOR INITIAL START UP , BUT THEY PERFORM BETTER ADVANCED AFTER STARTING SO THEY CAN REAH THEIR MAX RPM WITHOUT DETONATION. I WOULD ASSUME.

400ex45
11-24-2003, 10:16 PM
i know the hot start button opens another air passage to the combustion chamber to allow it to start easier but im not sure how it does it. it just does

RIDER11X
11-24-2003, 11:07 PM
Being someone who had ridden fourstrokes almost exclusivly for years, I find it very funny watching long time Two stroke riders try to learn the characteristics of fourstrokes, especailly when it comes to kicking them! I see guys trying to stab at that kicker with really quick stokes that will not fire a fourstroke any bigger than maybe an XR50. I really don't think they could be that hard to start for seasoned fourstroke riders.:cool: