PDA

View Full Version : Singing sand?

wilkin250r
10-31-2003, 12:56 PM
Sand Mountain in Nevada is known for it's booming sand. If you can find a spot that's relatively undisturbed, and create a small avalanche (say, by riding down it with your brakes on) the sand will vibrate at a low frequency, sounding much like a WW2 bomber in flight.

Anybody else notice this at their local sandbox? I don't know if ALL sand does it, or only a few?

http://www.schweich.com/sbdA.html

http://www-personal.engin.umich.edu/~nori/booming_sand.html

Bad Habit
10-31-2003, 09:58 PM
That's really interesting. At first I thought it was a recording of a humpback whale or something:D I've never heard that where I ride. But then again, I can't really hear much over the rumble of my X6.:confused:

Bill Fuller
11-01-2003, 07:42 AM
In the woods trees cry when I run in to them during an XC race....Oh no wait a minute thats me.:D

QuadJunkies
11-01-2003, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by Bill Fuller
In the woods trees cry when I run in to them during an XC race....Oh no wait a minute thats me.:D LMAO!!!!!:p I listened to that link you sent me Wilkin250r~~ WOw, that is a trip! I have NEVER heard that on sand before. didnt some of it have to do with Sand and Water too?

twisted threads
11-01-2003, 11:51 PM
It is a cool sound. Hey Tina thats why they call it Thunder MT. at ST.Anthonys.

QuadJunkies
11-02-2003, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by twisted threads
It is a cool sound. Hey Tina thats why they call it Thunder MT. at ST.Anthonys. you serious??:huh I didnt know that! huh, well I guess Ill have to listen more carefully next time Im up there......:)

zephead400ex
11-02-2003, 02:16 PM
Thats cool as hell!

WyoDuner
11-06-2003, 07:15 PM
Killpecker Sand DUnes near Rock Springs, WY do that too. I've heard it before. You need to get the sand moving like Wilkin250r said - I did it by hitting the front brakes going down a dune.

gotsand400
11-06-2003, 07:53 PM
I'VE HEARD THAT SOUND BEFORE AT SAND MTN.
BUT ITS EVEN LOUDER WHEN WE 2 QUADS DOING
IT AT THE SAME TIME.

wilkin250r
11-07-2003, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by QuadJunkies
you serious??:huh I didnt know that! huh, well I guess Ill have to listen more carefully next time Im up there......:)

It's imperitive that the sand be absolutely dry (which isn't a problem in Nevada) so if it rained recently, you won't be able to hear it.