PDA

View Full Version : 04 TRX450R or 04 CR250R?

alias
10-31-2003, 11:53 AM
Which one should I get?

I am an experienced quad rider without many hours on a dirt bike.
I currently own a TRX250R and will always own one if at all possible. I love 2 strokes.

Where I live in British Columbia, the trails are heavily wooded and often singletrack. [so a lot of times you can't go any further on a quad]
Apparently the woods have tons of trails accessible by bike.

I have a membership / key to a private MX track nearby. This track is designed more for bikes. Mostly everyone around here rides bikes. [only quads I've seen are an older guy on a 400ex, a kid on a warrior, 300ex's, & utility quads.]

This is a tough decision for me, I would appreciate any input.

Thanks.

:devil:

exatak199
10-31-2003, 01:16 PM
where in B.C. are you I'm in Salmon Arm?

hondafox440
10-31-2003, 01:19 PM
I would get the bike. However, I don't think a brand new CR250 is the smartest choice for a newbie. The new 250s have A LOT of balls and it definitely is not an easy bike to learn to ride on. I would look more at the CRF250X, Honda's new trail/racing 250 4 stroke, or the Yamaha WR250F. Both are excellent trail bikes, with the perks like electric starting.

alias
10-31-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by exatak199
where in B.C. are you I'm in Salmon Arm?

I am in Gibsons, on the sunshine coast.

XANDADA
10-31-2003, 01:55 PM
cr250r

alias
10-31-2003, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by hondafox440
I would get the bike. However, I don't think a brand new CR250 is the smartest choice for a newbie. The new 250s have A LOT of balls and it definitely is not an easy bike to learn to ride on. I would look more at the CRF250X, Honda's new trail/racing 250 4 stroke, or the Yamaha WR250F. Both are excellent trail bikes, with the perks like electric starting.

CRF250X that thing weighs a ton [232 lbs] and isn't that more comparable to a 125cc, I know I'm too big for a 125 [6'5" 230#].

Isn't it possible to take it easy at first, even on a 250? [feather the clutch, stay in first and second gear and practice riding it]

do you ride your 125 on trails?

As far as kickstarting I think If you can't be bothered to maintain your bike and kick it over, you shouldn't even bother to ride.. .

hondafox440
10-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Yes, I ride my 125 on trails. I also started riding trails on my XR100, then moved to an XR250, then a CR80, and finally my 125. The trails around here aren't very tight, but when they get tight it is a pain since there is no low end. You are kinda big for a 125cc 2 stroke, but you should do fine on a 250 thumper since they have so much torque. If you don't need the light and e-start of the X, you may want to look at the R. It is only 208lbs dry, which is right on par with a CR250.

I'm not saying it is impossible to start on a CR250. I know a few people who have done it. There is just alot to learn about riding a dirtbike, and it is best to not have to worry about dieing if you get a case of whisket throttle. Its kinda like a person just learning to drive, and giving them a standard. There is alot to learn about how to handle a car, and it is much easier if you don't have the hassle of the manual transmission. Get what im saying? What you could do is pick up a used and older 4 stroke, like an XR250/400, or something and learn the basics of riding, and when you feel comfortable, sell it and get the CR250. Your best bet is to try one out, and if you really feel like you can learn to ride well starting out on a CR250, then go for it. If you are really scared and don't think it is the right thing, look at something that is more user friendly.

alias
10-31-2003, 02:36 PM
Yes, I ride my 125 on trails. I also started riding trails on my XR100, then moved to an XR250, then a CR80, and finally my 125. The trails around here aren't very tight, but when they get tight it is a pain since there is no low end. You are kinda big for a 125cc 2 stroke, but you should do fine on a 250 thumper since they have so much torque. If you don't need the light and e-start of the X, you may want to look at the R. It is only 208lbs dry, which is right on par with a CR250.

I'm not saying it is impossible to start on a CR250. I know a few people who have done it. There is just alot to learn about riding a dirtbike, and it is best to not have to worry about dieing if you get a case of whisket throttle. Its kinda like a person just learning to drive, and giving them a standard. There is alot to learn about how to handle a car, and it is much easier if you don't have the hassle of the manual transmission. Get what im saying? What you could do is pick up a used and older 4 stroke, like an XR250/400, or something and learn the basics of riding, and when you feel comfortable, sell it and get the CR250. Your best bet is to try one out, and if you really feel like you can learn to ride well starting out on a CR250, then go for it. If you are really scared and don't think it is the right thing, look at something that is more user friendly.

Thanks for the advice man, nice site btw. "where dirtbikes and ATV's unite" That is a cool idea.

alias
10-31-2003, 02:37 PM
Also I probably should have mentioned I use a twist throttle on my 250r, and have always ridden 2 stroke 250 quads.

F-16Guy
10-31-2003, 02:49 PM
CR250. You already have a good quad, and you seem to have lots of places to ride bikes. Get the 250; you're a big guy, and you'll soon regret buying a tiddler. If you use a little common sense and respect the 250's power, I doubt you'll have any problems. The extra power can get you out of trouble just as easily as it can get you in. :cool:

10-31-2003, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by alias
CRF250X that thing weighs a ton [232 lbs] and isn't that more comparable to a 125cc, I know I'm too big for a 125 [6'5" 230#].

Isn't it possible to take it easy at first, even on a 250? [feather the clutch, stay in first and second gear and practice riding it]

do you ride your 125 on trails?

As far as kickstarting I think If you can't be bothered to maintain your bike and kick it over, you shouldn't even bother to ride.. .

a ton.... ok, i bet you wont even notice the weight, thats not even that much, u weigh 2 pounds less than it

nofear911
10-31-2003, 04:14 PM
I agree with Alias, you are much better off going with a fourstroke, maybe even a XR type bike that is "easier" to ride instead of a Cr or Yz. I'm in the same situation, quad rider all my life, but want to cross over into the realm of two wheels.
I've been riding my buddies bikes, trying to get the hang of it. The yz and rm two strokes are a pain in my *****, literally. But the 426 was more controllable for me. I'm looking for a 250 four stroke, I think it will fit me, because i'm an aggressive quad rider and it's hard not to push it and it doesn't have quite the snap the bigger ones do.
All i have to do is put a thumb throttle on the damn thing. ha ha just kiddin!

ZSK
10-31-2003, 04:54 PM
I would take the 450r. Just because it's a lot harder to tip over a quad than a bike. And I like thumpers. Any time a bike passes by I always think my wiring is getting fried because they smell like burning rubber.

hondafox440
10-31-2003, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by cleanshave300ex
I would take the 450r. Just because it's a lot harder to tip over a quad than a bike. And I like thumpers. Any time a bike passes by I always think my wiring is getting fried because they smell like burning rubber.

What? I haven't had my bike smell like burning rubber..

trx400ex
10-31-2003, 08:02 PM
Ive owned several quad in the last 2 years, utilities, 400ex, banshee and yfz450. And just a month ago bought my first bike, a 97 cr250. First of all this thing is fast. I am sure the new ones are alot faster but this has a fresh engine and several mods. Its not a good bike to start on but i would get bored with al those slower bikes whether i could ride them to there limit or not. Bikes are a whole new experience after riding quads for years and its like starting all over again. At least for me. I suck on a bike. Def. get the bike since your used to a 250r already this one will be faster so watch out and the new access to trails wont hurt either.

BTW the cr250 is for sale....need to get rid of it before i kill myself

ZSK
10-31-2003, 08:10 PM
What? I haven't had my bike smell like burning rubber..

Everytime a dirtbike goes by whether I'm getting passed (which happens a lot on a 300ex) or just sitting there it smells like my wiring is fried it must be me.:confused: