PDA

View Full Version : Spark plug wont go back in.

perry
10-30-2003, 08:38 PM
Hey people,
My quad wouldnt start and I gently took the spark plug out. I inspected it and decided to put a new one in. When I went to put the new on back in, I tightened it by hand, and it stopped less than two - three turns into the engine. I think there might be dried mud in the thread or something because I never tightened it with the tool. I just did it by hand. Could I have screwed up the thread on the way out? I have gas tank off and it looks like there is some debris on the thread. Am currently trying to clean it out, but It still wont tighten past 2-3 turns. Afraid to use wrench to try and force it in.

What do I do, and if there is something wrong with my thread, how much $ am I looking at?

Please help me!!!!!!!!

perry
10-30-2003, 10:42 PM
I cleaned the area as best I could, including hooking up straw/saran wrap/shopvac contraption and removed debris from inside engine.

I screwed in the plug with tool and unscrewed several times .... last coupla times I lightly lubed with oil. The last time I tightened by hand until I couldnt, then made a 1/4 turn with tool and started right up.

Anyways, it appears to be working now. Maybe I was just being paranoid, but I really didnt want to strip that out.

Did anyone else run into anything like this?

Mike

10-30-2003, 11:13 PM
iv'e always heard that the slightest resistance meant to stop when it comes to the spark plug.

Rip_Tear
10-31-2003, 03:23 PM
Doesn't sound good! I would definately get that checked out. Good luck.