PDA

View Full Version : changing my gears how much would it cost?

quader400
10-30-2003, 07:37 PM
i was just thinking that maybee i could take out my first gear and slide all of the rest down one so it would be like instead of first its second then third then fourth then fith and then i could put on a whole nother gear. is this possible. would it be worth it cause i never use first gear anyways and how much would it cost. thanks for any help.

Pappy
10-30-2003, 07:37 PM
is there a full moon out:confused:

stupid driver
10-30-2003, 07:44 PM
oh brother :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

ReconRider25
10-30-2003, 07:45 PM
.......:huh ........:p

nacs400ex
10-30-2003, 07:45 PM
I dont even know when to start.:rolleyes:

mikeboone
10-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by quader400
i was just thinking that maybee i could take out my first gear and slide all of the rest down one so it would be like instead of first its second then third then fourth then fith and then i could put on a whole nother gear. is this possible. would it be worth it cause i never use first gear anyways and how much would it cost. thanks for any help.

I cant imagine that nightmare:D First, DO NOT remove any engine componet or turn ANY nuts! If you want 'less' bottom end and more use of 1st gear go up 1 size on the front sprocket. This will give less acceleration but more top speed. What you have described is NOT possible for many reasons.....

cals400ex
10-30-2003, 09:09 PM
i have read before that it is possible to remove neutral and add another gear. i can't remember what bike this was for though. its not something that i would want to do because i know it wouldn't run right when i got done with it.

Juggalo
10-30-2003, 09:26 PM
now hold on a second guys. give him a chance. if you can buy aftermarket gears for raptors and stuff why couldn't you get trans gears that are geared a little higher? sure it would be costly and a sprocket re-gear would be much cheaper but hey its possible right? if you knew a machinist they could machine some gears for you. i know plenty!

pnut420
10-30-2003, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by Juggalo
now hold on a second guys. give him a chance. if you can buy aftermarket gears for raptors and stuff why couldn't you get trans gears that are geared a little higher? sure it would be costly and a sprocket re-gear would be much cheaper but hey its possible right? if you knew a machinist they could machine some gears for you. i know plenty!

Read the mods he has on his sig. I would put that money towards porting the head or a bore kire, etc...:p

wilkin250r
10-31-2003, 09:17 AM
Machining a new set of gears is possible, but very costly, and you can achieve nearly the same thing with just a sprocket change.

Stock sprockets (I believe) are 15/38 Changing your sprockets to a 16/36 will give you nearly the same results as getting rid of first gear and sliding the rest down.