PDA

View Full Version : carb problem on ATC 250r

d33pt
02-08-2002, 01:17 PM
I have an 82 ATC 250r. The problem is that as soon as I turn on the gas, whether or not the bike is running, gas just flows right out of the carb overflow.. what is the problem? i took it apart and it doesnt seem like the float is sticking...

Leo
02-08-2002, 06:40 PM
does the float float..? pop the float out shake it, hear anything sloshing around inside..?

it can't be anything to serious.. either the float is sinking or improperly adjusted, or the needle isn't seating properly.

Leo

papaw
02-08-2002, 07:04 PM
right on leo.....you might have a piece of debris in between the needle and seat.try this b4 you take her apart.turn the gas off and tip it up on its side so the over flow will drain the bowl set it down when it quits flowing.if you have a drain screw on the bottom open it up turn the gas on let it flow for a couple of seconds and if it is debris it should come out,otherwise you will have to yank it and check the floats....hope this helps....

dariusld
02-08-2002, 08:06 PM
If its the original carb, it's probably the float needle . I have the same problem with mine. I took the carb off to clean it and put it back together. Went on a short ride and had gas coming out of one of the vent hoses and wouldn't stop. Took the carb off and checked the float level and it was fine. So I looked at the float needle to see if, it was on right, was clean , or if it was damaged. It " looked" fine. Took it riding for a weekend and no problem till I loaded it on the trailer and out came some gas. I'll probably just get a new carb.

d33pt
02-08-2002, 08:47 PM
i got a new needle and put it in.. well same thing.. so then i push up the lil piece on the float that actually pushes the needle up... and that stopped the flow of gas completely.. so i pushed it down a little bit and it flowed for a while then stopped.. i didn't have time to play with it anymore.. but i'll try again tomorrow..