PDA

View Full Version : Just got 400ex and have a problem!!!

Kadafiy
02-08-2002, 09:11 AM
I just bought a 2000 400ex and from little time I rode it the thing is awesome. I always thought you guys were BSing on how sweet the ex's are but now I see. Anyways at first it had a hard time starting so I put a new UNI in and it started fine but it won't idle. I have to keep on the throttle and if it stalls it make a cluchunk sound. Is that normal? Also, when I ride it stalls. I did change the plug. This is my first four-stroke and honda. So I am new to the bike and don't know what to look/listen for. Thanks for any help.

knighttime
02-08-2002, 09:21 AM
Your carb may need cleaned out. I'd also change the oil and filter before you go any farther.

Also, drain the gas and put in new 93 octane. Also go buy some sparkplugs. You will foul a few getting it dialed in.

good luck

mike

Also, buy the service manual from www.helminc.com. It's the best manual you can buy.

02-08-2002, 09:21 AM
Put a larger pilot jet in the carb,,,stock is 38,,go with a 40 or 42 it will help the hard starting and idling problem,,garaunteed..:D

Welcome to the honda owners club.

knighttime
02-08-2002, 09:24 AM
Rico's advice was good, but keep in mind that I have a higher post count than he does. :D

Kadafiy
02-08-2002, 09:35 AM
Wow this forum is awesome your replies are so fast. I think I'll take both of your guys advise. I have to take the carb off to get to the pilot jet so I might as well clean it and I planned on changing the oil and filter. I already have the Clymer manual. The bike is stock exept the filter so which would be better the 40 or 42. I also plan on adjusting the valves tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

RideRed400EX
02-08-2002, 10:03 AM
The 400 never idles at start up (or at least not one I've seen). Jumping up on the pilot helps but it probably won't solve the problem so you will always have to hold the gas down for a few seconds to get things flowing. About the clunk sound - a lot of 400s do it (check old posts) although no one seems to have an answer. Some people say valves but it's like the sound come from the gearbox.

Kadafiy
02-08-2002, 10:15 AM
But mine doesn't warm up after a few seconds.

knighttime
02-08-2002, 10:43 AM
do the carb work, adjust the valves, change oil and go from there

02-08-2002, 10:47 AM
the clunk sound when stalling is normal.

if the engine stalls on the power stroke and rotates backwards (due to timing advance) it will engage the one-way roller clutch for the starter, and attempt to turn the starter motor backwards..

02-08-2002, 12:21 PM
POS

02-08-2002, 12:25 PM
Here we go again...:rolleyes:

Warrior dude,,just go to bluetraxx and don't start no crap over hear,,sound cool???

stevengates45
02-08-2002, 12:48 PM
Yea, i wish all the flamers like that would leave. Whats the purpose of flaming in our Chat anyway? I cant comprehend what hes trying to accomplish.

Tommy 17
02-08-2002, 02:22 PM
kada check ur throttle... my friends new one was loose and it wouldn't idle we tightened it up with no play and it idles fine...

big-guy
02-08-2002, 03:30 PM
Or you could try increasing the idle speed a little.
mine seems to idle better if I cut the choke as soon as it starts.
As far as the noise when it dies, it's the starter. don't worry about it, they all do it. (right guys?)

400exJOE
02-08-2002, 03:58 PM
hey guys, what is the pilot jet? I know what the main jet is and I know what the needle is (obviously) but I am not sure what or where the pilot is. Did I change it if I did the dyno-jet kit? Mine runs awsome with the pipe, k&N, 155mj and a dynojet needle with the clip raised or lowered (what ever they tell you to do in the kit) one notch. It starts in freezing weather in a second on full choke w/ no gas and I bring the choke right down after 5-10 seconds. Now I have to start over with the 440! How much should I increase my main jet by? What other jetting changes should I make? What about if I buy a GT Thunder cam later on? What should i increase my jetting by then? PS-i am not using the Lectron. Thanks

Kadafiy
02-08-2002, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your help. Tomorrow I'm adjusting the valves and changing the oil. After that I'm going riding so I'll see what happens. My local dealership doesn't carry the series 21 jets so I have to order them, I'll see how it does without them. Thanks for your help so far and I'll let you know how it goes. Oh yeah, do I need to rejet because of the UNI. I had to on my old bikes with K&N's but I've never run a UNI before. (Sorry that's kind of a stupid ?)

Kadafiy
02-09-2002, 10:06 AM
This damn thing won't sustain it's idle. I checked the valves and they were fine so I wanted to warm it up to change the oil. I started it and kept feeding it gas to keep it running after a little while of that I figured a quick ride would warm it up. It didn't and every time I would gas it, it would bog. What is wrong with this. I think I'm going to try to find someone who has a jet kit for it. You think this will fix the prob?

sly400ex
02-09-2002, 10:18 AM
Did you check the throttle cable cable? Get that 42 pilot too.

Kadafiy
02-09-2002, 10:28 AM
I checked the throttle cable and that was fine. I have to order jets because no one has them in stock. I'm sooooo pissed.

Pepto_Bismol
02-09-2002, 10:58 PM
I take it you bought a used bike then? If it's a used bike, someone may have played with the idle mixture screw. In which case it may not idle at all, and have nothing to do with jetting problems. But a small thing that alot of people are forgetting, Check the air filter too. See if it needs to be cleaned. A dirty air filter (or an over oiled one) will kill yah every time. Also check and see that there are not air leaks. Too much air can kill an idle too. Hope you get the problem resolved!
Pepto:cool:

Kadafiy
02-10-2002, 07:49 AM
I just put a brand new uni filter in it.

Kadafiy
02-10-2002, 08:05 AM
Now that I think about it I could have over oiled it, but how is that causing my problem and how do I solve it? Also, does the uni require new jetting like the K&N? Yes, it is used but not too much. I cleaned the carb and the main jet was clogged so I thought that would solve my problem but I didn't, so any help is appreciated. Thanks Pepto.

400exJOE
02-10-2002, 10:05 AM
If you over oiled your filter, there's a good chance that thats you problem. That would significantly cut down on air flow into the engine and then it would be running rich, which would cause it to run poorly. Also, only use air filter oil. Motor oil clogs filters and doesn't work as well. Just some advice.

Kadafiy
02-10-2002, 11:01 AM
I used K&N oil, but it seems to be running lean. I'm just going to take it to my local mechanic because he has the jets and I don't have time to work on it this week so he should have it done for me by the weekend. Thanks.

BP Rider
02-10-2002, 08:39 PM
I don't know if your quad is new or not, but when I purchased mine new, it acted the same way yours. I was slightly upset. It wouldn't idle or go over 5 mph. As I looked at it closer, the rubber hose from the air box to the carb wasn't attached on the carb side. It was hard to see with the plastic on. Once attached, it ran like a champ. Your choke could be sticking closed also.

Mike