PDA

View Full Version : Revision of AMA rules

08-15-2001, 11:23 AM
According to the AMA anyone under 16 can not ride anything but the youth quads. My son is 15, weighs 185 and is 5'8" and the AMA says he should be on a 90. I don't think so!!! And most races is our area don't even have a youth quad race. I think the AMA should revise their quad age rules. The rules, in my opinion, should take size into consideration as well. Futhermore, when my son got his AMA card they did not tell him he had to be 16 to race a 400EX. He completed the papers truthfully and now he can not race at AMA sanctioned races. I asked the owner of a track where we raced if a 12 year old could race a 250 cycle and he said if he could handle it there was no rule that said he couldn't. But a 15 year old can not ride a 400!

I know AMA goes by the federal regulation as stated on the quads but I think this needs to be amended. My son has riden a quad since he was 6, has raced his 400ex until recently and has numerous trophys to prove it but now they say he can't. That sucks!!

We know of many that are not 16 but have the experience and skill to race (some more than over 16) but due to this stupid rule, can't.

I would like to know if anyone has any informtion of who I can contact or where to file a complaint and to see if this can be amended to take the size of the child into consideration.

08-15-2001, 01:27 PM
I agree with what your saying fully... The only place I can think of is sending an email to the new ATVA..

08-15-2001, 06:27 PM
I am two years younger than your son, two inches taller, but weigh thirty pounds lighter, I hate having to go to the local track that is so cheesy, you could practically eat the track. Just look at all of the little kids on 80 cc motorcycles who can stock for stock beat a 300EX. It is very bassackwards how this system operates. If you would ask me, it creates more of a problem to ride those little bikes because when you turn, well, you can't! The dinky handlebars hit my shins on my grandpas lt-80's. Even on the fourtrax 90's the bars hit my knees! And whats worse, watching all those kids pass you by on their kx 60's and pw 80's. It really sucks!:mad: I forgot to mention that I too agree entirely with your post and that by angling my size 13 thor t-10's, I can have both of my feet sucked under the pegs and tires. It sucks sucks sucks!:grr

booneTRX
08-17-2001, 05:02 PM
This is the best example of a need for a different ruling body than the AMA.

Is there any way you can petition the local AMA and have a signed waiver of any incident by you to allow him to race. How do they expect kids to grow up and become Doug Gust if they cant race until they turn 16. I gaurantee the top 10 riders in GNCC didnt start racing real machines at 16. Takes many years to become that good.

Good luck....

trx400ex
08-19-2001, 04:09 PM
the age limit is crazy, i can count the number of kids that are sixteen at my school that would fit on a trx 90 on one hand.sure if your 8 you dont need to race a 425r, but to tell a 14 15 or 16 year old to race a 90 is not any worse. i read somewere www.gnccracing.com that the AMA doesnt recognize age untill january ist so if i get this right that means if you turn 16 on january 2nd you have to wait untill the next year to race(dont know if this is true).

08-19-2001, 07:32 PM
Yeah I found that out the hard way. I was 13 and had a 400EX and went to the track to race. I guess the people there didn't know any better because I was aloud to race even after signing ama and district 15 forms with my age on them. I actually did quiet well only to find through Nac's Racing that I'm not aloud to race. Now I am stuck with a uselessDistrict 15 and AMA card. I really want to race so I traded my 400 for a CR125. There are alredy not enough quads to even fill the starting gate at several tracks around here. Now they have lost another. And I wouldn't be surprised If I wasn't the only one to switch.

trx400ex
08-24-2001, 06:22 AM
i was talking to a guy yesterday(16) who said he raced when he was 15 i found out how.....got to the ama website fill out the form over the internet, say your 16.then when you go to the races you have your card...the races at haspin acres arent sanctioned eitherwhich would be a good place to race the first few times