PDA

View Full Version : electrical problem

dasheek
10-29-2003, 03:31 PM
I have an 86 250r. It has good compression and is getting gas. There is a sprak also. Thing is I tested the coil and there is little restiance between the two prongs. When testing one prong of the coil and the end of the cap there is also little restiance. There is soppoused to be a couple thousand ohms of restiance though. The thing that gets me is that there is still spark from the plug. Is this normal? Did I mess up when testing the coil? Is the spark not good enough?

matt

F-16Guy
10-30-2003, 06:26 PM
I don't claim to be a great electrician, but here's a couple of ideas. One; your woodruff key on the flywheel may have sheered, causing your ignition timing to be way off. Two; maybe you have a bad magneto or coil, and the spark you're seeing is too weak to start your bike (happened on my KX 80 a long time ago). Just a couple of ideas to look at. If your coil doesn't read the correct resistance, it probably has an internal short, I'd start with that. Does anyone you know have a coil that you could slave in to see if that's the problem?