PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Chopper project..

Jay300ex
10-28-2003, 07:57 AM
Hey guys here's what's going on. I am planning on organizing a project in school to build one of those mini choppers. It's going to be me and another kid doing engine and drive (small engine repair class) and 2 guys from welding to build a frame and fenders, and a guy from auto body to do the painting and details like that.

I haven't really done much research on this yet, but I will, and I figure there are a few guys on here that can give me some info.

Like, what type of motor should be used? I was leaning towards a 5-8 horse cast iron horizonal shaft lawnmower engine (i work on those in class anyway, I can make it zip!). But for that I would need to work on some type of clutch too. But a lawnmower engine sooped up and all polished... haha.

I am guessing I need to get that figured out before the frame can be built so that they can fabricate it around the engine. Then I would need to buy wheels, a chain+ sprockets, cables, bearings, fluids, probably lights.

This thing should be cool but I need to do a bunch of homework on it before I start sketching it up, it is going to be a senior project and a major grade so I am planning early.

So give me some info or ideas if you have any!

ZSK
10-28-2003, 10:15 AM
You could use a centrifigal (sp?) clutch those work good on mini bikes.

Merriman
10-28-2003, 10:24 AM
buy an old ATC 70, or an XR 50 motor. They'd work the best. 4 (atc 70) speed no clutch and a chain drive......you can even buy aftermarket parts for them to make'em haul ***....Look on Ebay for great deals for on that stuff. Also you buy a Harley sportster tank off Ebay for like 10 bucks..... Also you can buy a billet XR 50 wheel, or atleast a custom front rim, and get a wide go-cart rear tire, and polished wheel....

400exdad
10-28-2003, 11:04 AM
I've thought about building one of those too. But, time and money are needed elsewhere. Check ebay, you'll be suprised what you will find there. I found several frames, fork assemblies and other parts from tanks to seats on there. I got so many ideas that I saved a bunch of the pics on the 'puter at the house. One guy even built a springer front end for his! Those guys used both: Centrifical cluthes or a torque converter with a jack shaft. While I love the idea of an old 70 motor and gears, I'd opt for the ole Briggs and Stratton because you can pick them up brand new fairly cheap. All you do is add fuel and a throttle! Good Luck! Post some pics when your done!

KrazyKid300ex
10-29-2003, 07:09 AM
use a torque converter to have torque for wheelies and use a fat *** rear tire. Make is look awsome i think.

Jay300ex
10-29-2003, 04:28 PM
well a new torque converter is like $150, and we want to make this thing cheap. There is all the metal up at school for pretty much all the metal things needed to be fabricated. If I can't find a ok converter in a junkyard or something then I will probably have to build something else:/ And the wheels will only be as good as we can get, which will probably be like polished up XR70 wheels or something.

We'll see ;)

Jay