PDA

View Full Version : everyone read this

joshamahan
10-27-2003, 06:41 PM
Allright...
I heard a nasty rumor saturday that honda will only be making a limited number of R's. I have heard this from two different people 1 The owner of a dealership. 2 A personal friend of a Honda sponsered dirtbike rider who has been with honda for a number of years now. The part that I dont like is the reason they said honda is making this a "limited edition" is because they cant get enough power out of the motor so they are using this to cover thier a** untill they can design a new bike. I have a deposit on the Honda but I am considering the yfz now because of this. I am serious about this, this came from someone who has been with Honda for a long time and who works directly with honde people. So I hope I am wrong and I probably am but does anyone know anything about this
?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????? :( :( :( :( :(

Ryan
10-27-2003, 07:02 PM
Take the new quad for a test ride at the dealership before you decide to buy it.

joshamahan
10-27-2003, 07:11 PM
I know what you are saying, but if it's true I would like to go ahead and get the yfz. It's just hard to wait three more months if the better one is out right now, but I know no one knows for sure.:devil: :devil:

10-27-2003, 07:14 PM
im starting to wonder there might be some truth to that, but i know my local dealer is getting 6, i might reserve one or buy a yfz

Woody_YFZ
10-28-2003, 12:08 AM
I'd be surprised if that's true, but winter is about upon us, so if you're unsure, you've waited this long, another couple months won't hurt. On the other hand, I know I've loved my YFZ, but I still plan to get a couple 450R's for my rental fleet next spring.

brif
10-28-2003, 01:17 AM
Hey woody, what would you get for a rental fee on something like that? The few places around here that rent quads won't rent sport quads. A local guy i know that rents quads has 36 rental units and he says he wouldn't rent sport quads because everybody seems to wreck the eiger 400's, Kaw 360's and the Bom quests that he rents now!!

Guy400
10-28-2003, 04:41 AM
It's true, Honda is only making a limited number of them. I think they put the cap somewhere around 475,000 units:D

ATC83
10-28-2003, 08:07 AM
I wouldn't be suprised if it is true. I think Honda rushed this bikes release date because of the Yamaha YFZ450. I also think that the high performance race ready nature of the Yamaha shocked Honda as well as the race inspired ergonomics. I wont be suprised to see major changes to the engine on the 2005 model to get it up to the performance of the YFZ. I was going to put a deposite down on the TRX but I'm going to wait until at least the 2005 model to see if they will make the machine more competitive by adding a FCR carb, high performance cam, high compression piston, TI valves, electric start and lower center of gravity.

TJ400EX
10-28-2003, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by Ryan
Take the new quad for a test ride at the dealership before you decide to buy it.

A good friend of mine bought one of the first 1999 400EX's around here. They wouldn't even put oil and gas in it until he signed on the dotted line. Worked out good, he still has it! I don't know if it will be the same on the 450 or not. Just thinking out loud.

Later,
Tim

10-28-2003, 11:03 AM
when i got my 400 i didnt know anything about quads , i sat on one, looked at some magazine tests and ads and something told me i should get it, must say it worked out good

ATC83
10-28-2003, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Ryan

Taking a test drive is a good idea if dealers would actually let you do that. When I was interested in buying a KFX400 I went to my local Kawasaki dealer to look at one and the a@#hole wouldn't even let me site on the bike unless I was going to buy it. What an idiot. Did he actually think that I was going to walk in and slap down $6000 on a bike that I never even sat on? It's hard to believe these dealers even stay in business.

400exBro
10-28-2003, 03:38 PM
the other thing is why is there a big wait between when they released it and when it is actually going to hit the floors?
something is going on here, honda is either going to release something totaly different or they are redesigning it as we speak.
BTW- electric start is probably in the works, but they have set this bike for people who want to go racing but don't have the money to spend 12 grand + and race. they are really pushing the mx scene i believe, the kick start is a great idea, deffently worth it, i am glad they did it. just my 2 cents

Ryan
10-28-2003, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
Taking a test drive is a good idea if dealers would actually let you do that. When I was interested in buying a KFX400 I went to my local Kawasaki dealer to look at one and the a@#hole wouldn't even let me site on the bike unless I was going to buy it. What an idiot. Did he actually think that I was going to walk in and slap down $6000 on a bike that I never even sat on? It's hard to believe these dealers even stay in business.

I guess it really depends on the dealerships. Around here, some places let you take test drives on the quads.....

ProConcept
10-28-2003, 08:00 PM
Jeeze you guys. The only reason dealers aren't getting alot is because the # of Rs you get is dependent on the # of 400exs you sold the year before. Now you havent seen many people buying 400exs last year did you? I saw mostly raptors and z400s

Woody_YFZ
10-29-2003, 12:02 AM
Originally posted by brif
Hey woody, what would you get for a rental fee on something like that? The few places around here that rent quads won't rent sport quads. A local guy i know that rents quads has 36 rental units and he says he wouldn't rent sport quads because everybody seems to wreck the eiger 400's, Kaw 360's and the Bom quests that he rents now!!

I have 11 units that I rent out currently and I rent both utility and sport. The utility ones get wrecked equally as much as the sport ones. I rent Raptors, KFX 400's and the YFZ, however I am selective about who rents the YFZ and where it goes (dunes only). The Raptors I rent for $89, the KFX's $85 and the YFZ $115/day. The 450R's will probably also go for $115/day. I'm not sure how well the 450R's will do though with the kick start, so we'll see when the time comes. I'll probably try out one and see how it does. The YFZ does awesome, but the Raptors do the best by far and my sport bikes rent way better than my utilities do. There are quite a few guys here in Utah who rent the sport bikes. People who rent the sport bikes are generally more experienced riders, the people who rent the utilities are usually beginners, so that could explain why he has problems with them getting wrecked. Would you (an experienced rider) want to rent an Eiger?? Me neither, unless I was hunting.

Woody_YFZ
10-29-2003, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by 400exBro
the other thing is why is there a big wait between when they released it and when it is actually going to hit the floors?
something is going on here, honda is either going to release something totaly different or they are redesigning it as we speak.
BTW- electric start is probably in the works, but they have set this bike for people who want to go racing but don't have the money to spend 12 grand + and race. they are really pushing the mx scene i believe, the kick start is a great idea, deffently worth it, i am glad they did it. just my 2 cents

Honda always announces their bikes a couple months before they release them. Look at the CRF 250 and the CRF 450, the 250 still isn't out and the 450 took about 4 months before it was released after they announced it and there were no changes. I wouldn't count on any changes, that wouldn't make any sense.