PDA

View Full Version : +2 Arms + 4-1 Rims = KICK@SS

RIjon
10-27-2003, 06:39 PM
Was running 3-2 Fronts Wheels with my +2 Long Travel Setup and it felt pretty darn good

With the Addition of a Denton Stabilizer it was even better

But after Going to a 4-1 offset the Ackerman effect is SOOOO much better

Not to mention Gaining 2" back for Trail riding :D:blah: :macho

My $.02

jasoncarr25
10-27-2003, 06:58 PM
what is the ackerman effect???

RIjon
10-27-2003, 07:20 PM
Well, I guess I should say ackerman AND Bumpsteer

http://www.longacreracing.com/articles/art.asp?ARTID=11

If you do a quick google search you can find TONS of info on it

:bandit:

jasoncarr25
10-27-2003, 08:00 PM
so this aint good for mx huh?

Greg Z
10-28-2003, 01:29 PM
no u would want it for mx the bad part is that is ur loosing 1 inch.

if your racing MX with a 400ex I think the best is to do +3 a-arms then 4:1 rims and some zero preload shocks:o

luvmyex
10-28-2003, 02:15 PM
i just went to +1 and the 4-1 offset.Yea its a lot better! But the tighht trees are a little more tricky now:eek2:

boogiechile
10-28-2003, 03:36 PM
actually changing the wheel offset will not effect the ackerman effect. It will change the amount of bump steer though. You should have less bump steer now because you have reduced the scrub radius by switching from 3+2 to 4+1. The ackerman refers to how the inside tire turns sharper than the outside. This is desireable because the inside tire is following a smaller radius on turns and therefore needs to turn sharper. The ackerman effect on a quad is determined by the flag on the steering stem and will stay the same no matter what wheel offset is run.

making the frt end wider with offset wheels or a arms requires a bigger difference in the two angles to be totally correct but it does not happen because the stem is what determines the difference. so making your quad a little narrower got it closer to the designed in ackerman and it probably did help some. Stems can be designed to add some ackerman effect and this may be done on aftermarket stems designed for wider a arms. not sure if anyone actually does it or not.

RIjon
10-28-2003, 06:05 PM
Very Good Explanation !!