PDA

View Full Version : Jetting Question

dannyboy20
10-27-2003, 06:23 PM
well i just put in all 12 disks in my E-series and have yet to touch the carb. I rode it for 2 minutes and it seamed to be fine. Before that i was running 8 disks . Rode that for 4 hours with no problems on stock jetting. Am i going to hurt the motor without jetting.

dannyboy20
10-27-2003, 06:54 PM
bump

AndrewRRR
10-27-2003, 07:38 PM
Have you done a plug chop? I don't think 4 more discs would lean it out dangerously but I'd check to be sure.

BBW
10-27-2003, 08:42 PM
I can't say for sure but every one I talk to (mechanics) and all of the technical stuff I read would say that you are running a bit lean.
I have the exact same set-up and the move to a 155 main was very noticable. I think you will be pleased.

BBW
10-27-2003, 09:35 PM
Let me add a couple other things. #1 the filter that came with the E series... I went to get a K&N and they told me the filter that came with the pipe was as good or better than the K&N. I'm sure there are folks out there with a K&N that may disagree but I've only heard good things about this filter. When I put my e-series on I thought WOW this thing really runs great so why change jets. Then I started talking to people and while it may have been running great I do think it was running lean. Over time this can cause problems. Changing the main jet is unbelieveably easy (not to tight now) and you WILL notice a difference on the upper end. As far as what size main... as you can see, it's all over the board on what people are running. While the 155 results were great, I'm going to try a couple different ones a little bigger only becasue it's so easy to change and so cheap.

cals400ex
10-27-2003, 09:42 PM
with a close airbox lid with your slip on:'
a 152 in the summer months and a 155 in the colder months provided the best power here. i am a few hundred feet above sea level. the summer is in the 90's and the winters are around 20's.

dannyboy20
10-28-2003, 04:11 AM
what is the stock main jet size ? So i should try a bigger one. Thats located underneath the carb correct ?

BBW
10-28-2003, 09:26 AM
Don’t quote me on this but I believe the stock jet is a 148. Someone wrote the procedures for changing the jet including the size tools you will need but I can’t seem to find it. If you look at your carb there’s a large plug on the bottom of it. Remove the plug and take a small mirror and flashlight and you can see the jet. You can almost loosen it without a ratchet. Pop the new one in and your done. REMEMBER, SNUG ONLY! PS: Make sure the gas is off and you run it until it quits before you start this procedure. You will still get a little gas when you remove the plug but not much.

2003EXRIDER
10-28-2003, 03:14 PM
i'm running the W/B filter, e-series and a 155main with a 42 pilot. i like it alot but it doesn't run as good with all 12 as it does with 8. i'm not sure why that is yet. when i had all 12 in it it wasn't very clean in the high rpm's falling off,popping??? why do yall think that is. i'm thinking of upping the main to a 160??

dannyboy20
10-28-2003, 04:02 PM
it seems that alot of people are running 155 main jet i think i will try that

Greg Z
10-29-2003, 09:28 AM
I have a eseries slip on It came with 2 extra disks im not sure if im running 10 or 12 but i think im running a 155 with a 42 pilot jet and needle adjusted some where my quad is running perfect in never back fires. it pops very rarrely like 1nce on a good 4 hour ride some times NEVER on a 4 hour ride. Only time it usally pops is when im in like 3rd gear and i go to 1st very fast and it starts revving like crazy thats when it pops only 1nce.

I like it like this but probably after I setup my chassis and i start doing engine work im going to change to a LRD full exhaust