PDA

View Full Version : Houser WristRest......????

400MXer
02-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Does anyone have this. I have serious problems with my wrist's...i always jam them and i was wondering if these things help.

Nausty
02-07-2002, 05:36 PM
I have thought about them before too:huh Anyone have em'

NJ300ex
02-07-2002, 06:05 PM
http://extremegarage.com/reviews/wristrester.htm

Thats a link to a very good review of the wristrester done by Gabe.

Nausty
02-07-2002, 06:44 PM
I was hoping for more but it seems like it would be pretty cool. I would like to test ride somone else first though and feel for my self.

"The test ride:

We took the quad out for a quick test ride through a favorite rocky section with some steep ledgerock climbs and downhill sections. We noticed right away that the Wristrester was working and taking away some of the harshness of the trail, especially when hitting square edge rocks and roots. We also especially noticed this effect when turning with pressure on the bars, or going downhill (which stands to reason)...

One thing we didn't like was that since there is no spring or damping on the return side, sometimes when it returned to it's normal position it did so with a "thunk". This may have been somewhat compounded by that piece of 1/4" wood we mounted under the unit - but if we hadn't put it there the stem would have had a sloppy feeling - choose your poison. Maybe some dense foam, neoprene or the like would work better..."

Wingnut
02-07-2002, 09:05 PM
Something you may want to look into is the Boysen Flex Grip. It looks similar to a twist throttle. What it does is it allows the grips to rotate about 1/4 to 1/2 inch forward or back to absorb some of the impact. The movement is dampened in both directions unlike the wrist wrester and they will return to the original position after an impact. They can be set to three different settings for stiffness. You would have to buy two of them, about $50 each. I have no experience with them, but I thought you might be interested. They are in the White Bros. catalog and in both Tucker Rocky and Parts Unlimited, I believe. Check out one of those catalogs if you are interested. Only draw back I see is that you would have to buy two sets of motorcyle grips to replace the grips that come with the Flex Grip. Unless you have a twist throttle. Then you would need only one Flex Grip. Does any one have any experience with these?

86atc250r
02-08-2002, 09:54 AM
Just thought I'd add - I have since installed a piece of EVA foam under the wristrester and that has cured the "thunk" when it returns to it's resting position.

It's a pretty good unit, you'll mostly notice it when landing jumps with the nose down, when pounding thru the whoops, or if you make a little mistake and hammer into the face of something....

I'll probably be doing a quick long-term follow up to the original review sometime in the near future... Also keep an eye open for a Maier Shiny plastic review, a quick note on anti vibe steering stems, and a frame gussetting discussion in the coming weeks.

Also, if you're having trouble with wrists, make sure you are running a good set of aluminum bars and a steering damper.

Scott
02-08-2002, 10:15 AM
Gabe beat me to the stabilizer comment. Jammed wrists is why I got a stabilizer in the first place. I haven't had a jammed wrist since I bolted it on. Maybe a couple minor hits, but nothing like before where my wrist would still be jammed up a week later. I think that little stabilizer is about the best thing I've bolted on to that quad.

400MXer
02-08-2002, 10:35 AM
Well i have aluminum bars, but a steering stabalizer will help with my wrist's......i'm gonna start saving RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!!

86atc250r
02-08-2002, 10:46 AM
On steering dampers....

If you're looking in the $150 range, get the Graydon Proline, new style Denton, Muscle, Speed racing, or any other aluminum bodied, rebuildable Shindy based damper (these are all the same, buy from whoever will give you the best price & service).

If you're looking into a higher end damper, look at the WER & Scotts dampers.

Pro400EXC
02-09-2002, 12:23 AM
The Boysean Flex grip is nice, my friend has it on his 400ex,he has it on the left and a twist throttle. It wouldn't be good to by 2 becuase if you have a Flex Grip on the Right when you are going over bumps and it will make you chop the throttle,and Believe me I already tested it out.

And also grips cost more if you got two,because they require twist throttle grips, and if you gots 2,then you need two sets of grips.!