PDA

View Full Version : Quick Release Flag Gismo?

JD400exrider
10-26-2003, 10:17 PM
Well are they really needed other than the fact that it releases the flag fast and easy. I won't be riding the sand more than 2-3 times a year. The flag at the local shop comes with a clamp just not a quick release. Any disadvantage other than it just not a quick release quick If so what brand of quick release is the best.

Going to order some sand shaks on monday :D

AndrewRRR
10-27-2003, 12:16 AM
:huh

As long as you have a 3/4" wrench dont worry.

Doibugu2
10-27-2003, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
:huh

As long as you have a 3/4" wrench dont worry.

That's assuming you never break your flag. The nice thing about the quick release is that if you break your flag, you can just cut off the piece that is broke and stick it back in the quick release. If you have one of the other ones, you throw out the flag when it is broke.

This is the one I just bought and seems pretty good. Haven't used it yet.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/press/2003_07/holder.html

TJ400EX
10-27-2003, 09:52 AM
I use a Pop-it flag. Instead of breaking it, it just pops off and you snap it back in. They-re like $25.00. I think JL ATV has them. I can't remember where mine came from.

Later,
Tim

AndrewRRR
10-27-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
That's assuming you never break your flag. The nice thing about the quick release is that if you break your flag, you can just cut off the piece that is broke and stick it back in the quick release. If you have one of the other ones, you throw out the flag when it is broke.

This is the one I just bought and seems pretty good. Haven't used it yet.

http://www.off-road.com/atv/press/2003_07/holder.html

How do you figure? I've broken flags so many times I have a few that are several feet shorter than when they started. All you do is loosen the top bolt on your mount, the broken off piece slides out, then stick the flag back in and retighten. Most times you will have to get out a hacksaw and cut another inch off the flag to get it back in because fiberglass flags don't break clean.
Maybe you use flags that have a mount actually attached to the flag. I use rip rods with either the normal bolt type mount, or the Cascade quick release. I still haven't found a quick release that will hold the flag tight enough to not worry about it in the trees.

Doibugu2
10-27-2003, 10:32 AM
Andrew, I guess i was confused by your response.

We don't really have sand around us, but the place I go to has the mount attached to the flag like you said, so you throw it out once it breaks.

Sorry:)

airheadedduner
10-27-2003, 10:38 AM
That's assuming you never break your flag. [/url]

I don't, I bought an old CB antene at a garge sale for $2. It slides into a std. rip rod mount, then tack it in top and bottom.

dariusld
10-27-2003, 11:27 AM
One of my riding buddies use the quick connects from an air hose. I'm not sure exactly how he does it, but it's a cheap alternative. I would just buy the regular flag. No you don't have to replace it everytime it breaks.

Chef
10-27-2003, 05:14 PM

I broke 3 flags in one day without a quick release and no problems...its just not as quick and easy. Just cut the broken end off the flag, knock the broken off piece out of the bolts, and stick it back in.

Dune Surfer
10-27-2003, 06:56 PM
I you go with a stainless steel flag like I do they never break:D

JD400exrider
10-27-2003, 08:03 PM
Dune Surfer. Is that a two piece or one piece. I think Rocky Mountain has those.

AndrewRRR
10-27-2003, 08:34 PM
Some of my buddies use CB whip antennas with male air chuck couplings brazed on, and the female part mounted to the grab bar. Makes it quick and easy to attach it or take it off. They seem to do ok in a roll, they give quite a bit. I want to make some for my bikes, but I guess Radio Shack doesn't carry the 104" whip antennas anymore.

stryker
10-27-2003, 09:15 PM
[SIZE=1][COLOR=red]Dune Surfer has the right idea. The metal whip is the way to go for sure. Especially if you ride hard and through tree lined shoots. Those rip rods (fiber glass) will break in a heart beat. :)

dariusld
10-27-2003, 09:42 PM
Originally posted by JD400exrider
Dune Surfer. Is that a two piece or one piece. I think Rocky Mountain has those. The Rocky Mountain ones have a spring and are telescopic. The ones Dune Surfer are talking about are a one piece solid shaft.

Dune Surfer
10-27-2003, 10:31 PM
the flag I use is solid and never breaks. I got sick of fixing fiberglass flags.

Glamis400ex
10-28-2003, 04:32 PM
Sounds like someone needs to keep the rubber side down a little more often.;) That'll cure those broken whip probs...

j/k tony...

Glamis

Chef
10-28-2003, 06:07 PM
Originally posted by Dune Surfer
I you go with a stainless steel flag like I do they never break:D

They will after a while..:p

wilkin250r
10-29-2003, 12:49 PM
I don't mind fixing broken fiberglass whips, as long as I have my quick connect. Cut off the fiberglass splinters, and pop it back in. I'm done in one minute.

Personally, I like to collect broken whipflags that I find around the dunes. I usually find one or two per trip...

310Rduner
10-29-2003, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Personally, I like to collect broken whipflags that I find around the dunes. I usually find one or two per trip...

Lmao. My bud Tony does the same thing. He spots every flag there is out there and rides with it back to camp, and makes us take em. Probably ten extra flags just sitting in our garage next to the tires right now.

dariusld
10-29-2003, 06:16 PM
It's no fun riding back to camp with the flag in the crack of your butt. Plus you have to ride slow.

AndrewRRR
10-29-2003, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by dariusld
It's no fun riding back to camp with the flag in the crack of your butt. Plus you have to ride slow.

It's not so bad if you have a quick-release butt :p

310Rduner
10-29-2003, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
It's not so bad if you have a quick-release butt :p

Squueze and Clench!..

And.... RELEASE!

JOEX
10-29-2003, 09:06 PM
LMGDAO!.... not a pleasant feeling:p

On our last trip to the dunes we found a couple of poles and about a dozen flags:)

Joe

wilkin250r
10-30-2003, 01:57 PM
I've seen people create small fences with stakes and ribbon to keep people from riding through their camp, but I always thought that looked tacky, and LOTS of people do it, and I wanted to be different. (My buddy the Police Officer wouldn't give me any of his official crime scene tape :mad: )

We tried reflectors, but they were too small. So now, we collect broken whip flags and put those all around our camp.

AndrewRRR
10-31-2003, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
I've seen people create small fences with stakes and ribbon to keep people from riding through their camp, but I always thought that looked tacky, and LOTS of people do it, and I wanted to be different. (My buddy the Police Officer wouldn't give me any of his official crime scene tape :mad: )

We tried reflectors, but they were too small. So now, we collect broken whip flags and put those all around our camp.

We use razor wire.
lol jk!