PDA

View Full Version : Got new A-Arms! NOW WHAT????? HELP

300EX-Man
02-07-2002, 05:27 PM
i just bought +2 +1 bugard a-arms for my 300ex. i am gonna put them on. what tools will i need besides a torque wrench. basically, will i need to buy a ball joint remover or could i use a screw driver and a hammer? will i need new brake lines in case mine don't reach. are there any other probelms that i will encounter
(i got the service manual for specifications)

Nausty
02-07-2002, 05:35 PM
well it pry won't be a big deal if you front brake lines don't reach you will just have to tie them up somewhere until you get longer ones and have to use your rear brake and I heard you don't need a ball joint remover and just a hammer.

kabd69667
02-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Yea, just a hammer and a punch. Or a screwdriver. anything you can use to get on it

Nausty
02-07-2002, 07:31 PM
Just found this in another thread about the spindles;)

Originally posted by beerock
Please dont whack your spindles with a hammer!!!!!! please!!!

Dont go and get the fork tool either, youll ruin the boots!!!!

This is how to do it.

Loosen both bolts up all the way until they are about to come off(make the bolts flush with the end of the tie rod thread).

find a SOCKET that will fit in between the top and bottom bolt.

THEN with two open end wrenches hold the one bolt and then proceed to LOOSEN the other bolt making the SOCKET push either the top or bottom ball joint out.

Once one of the ball joints pop out, find a longer socket(deep socket) to put in between the bolts once again
(when you do this you have to RESET the bolt until it is flush with the tierod end so you have a couple turns to pop out the other ball joint)

and then loosen the bolt again

BAM both ball joints are out with NO POUNDING on the spindles.
thus lessening the risk of puttin a hairline crack in your spindles.

Clay
02-07-2002, 08:48 PM
Get a ball joint separator. I bought one, because i take my aarms out often to grease everything good, and it makes the job 100% easier.

beerock
02-07-2002, 08:57 PM
good eye nausty. hey cryhe you know the socket method takes a minute to separate the ball joints.

300EX-Man
02-10-2002, 09:26 AM
well i was wondering how much would a ball joint remover run$????

Foxrage
02-10-2002, 09:59 AM
I do the greasing thing often. I did not need any of the tools to get the ball joints out of the spindle except a hammer. Its hard to explain but my friend showed me how and somehow he taped in the spindle and the ball joint just fell right out. I will try to draw a pic and post it today it was extremely easy and i didnt have to but anything.