PDA

View Full Version : Is it worth sacrificing reliability for power?

KP's lil'300
10-26-2003, 07:03 PM
Well as it is now I have a slightly modded 300ex, but I have a chance to buy my brothers 86 250r with an fmf pipe, silencer, V-force reeds, and mild porting, other than that it is a fairly stock machine. We have owned the 250 for mabye 3 months and it has proven to be a good machine that has been well taken care of. What is your take on this, should I buy the 250 or keep the 300? I know that it would be quite a bit faster both on top-end and getting there, but if it were you what would you do? Thanks Kaysen

Pappy
10-26-2003, 07:07 PM
both quads can be very reliable depending on how you take care of them. a 2 stroke require's only a modest amount more care then your thumper and offers an exhilirating ride to boot.

since youve already owned both you shouldnt have a problem deciding which one will make you happiest:)

KP's lil'300
10-28-2003, 07:58 PM
anyone else? Kaysen

YLW400
10-28-2003, 08:00 PM
I agree with Pappy. The R will require a little more TLC then the EX, so it's your call. ALot of races however seem to rebuild the 2 strokes alot more often then us 4 stroke guys. I personally would make the leap from the 300 to the R.....

nacs400ex
10-28-2003, 08:11 PM
I would switch to the R. :D

Vtr_Racing
10-29-2003, 10:05 AM
I am not sure what you mean by the title of this topic. The R is an extremely reliable/proven race or play machine. Just take care of it by changing the oil when your supposed to and do the required preventive maintenance. If your worried abot the cylinder, I have rode mine on a single set of piston and rings for a very long time. I just now pulled the cylinder after over 20 hours of riding and all it needed was a hone job and a new set of rings. Its still running strong.

markk
10-30-2003, 11:40 AM
I have ridden both, A 300 ex is a good/easy riding/smooth/ quad and u can run the p*ss out of it and it probly wouldn't ever break donw on u. But when it comes to racing its not all i could be cracked out to be. The 250r has a slightly longer wheel base, and just a hair wider. The 250R will hold alot higher resale than your 300 ever thought of. and when it comes down to it, IT's all your decision. IF i where u, and you had a job, I would use the R, but if your looking at riding alot and riding hard, and u dont have alot of money id stay with the quality 4-stroke. Either way u cant go wronge unless u line ub beside a 400Ex,

A freind has put a 440 in a 250x frame and for trail riding u cant hardly touch it:D