PDA

View Full Version : bleeding my break lines

rob-u/21
02-07-2002, 03:54 PM
I just got new steel braided break lines but I dont know how to bleed my breaks or instal them can somebody help me?

QuadRacer041
02-09-2002, 04:23 AM
what i usually do is install the lines, thats pretty straight forward just make sure you use the new crush washers.
after the lines are on fill your fluid ressy.'s with DOT4 fuild then open the bleeders on the calipers and let them gravity bleed for about an hour or so.
then close the bleeders and have a freind help bleed the air out,
have a freind pump the brake lever a few times then on the last pump have him hold the lever down, then you open and then close the bleeder youll see a little fluid and some air come out.repeat this step until you see only fluid come out and no air and your lever fells good.keep checking your rssy and make sure it doesnt run out or youll need to start over.when you do the front start with the left side when you bleed because its farthest from the ressy.

02-19-2002, 06:10 PM
once you get them bleed alittle take the calipers off. get the pistons out(by pumping the break, leave the cap off the resiovoir and push the piston back in.air will come up threw the res.

Leo
02-19-2002, 07:23 PM
go to the local autozone / napa / whatever parts store and pick yourself up a mity-vac brake bleeding kit (~$30).. makes it a quick, easy, one man job, and most importantly it allows you to do it witout making a huge mess :D brake fluid is great for stripping paint, don't get it on anything you don't want the paint peeling off :)

Leo

Wingnut
02-19-2002, 08:04 PM
I have Russel speed bleeders on my 400EX. They replace the stock bleeder screws. The Russel bleeders have a one-way valve inside them so that once they are opened the first time you can pump the brakes without closing the bleeders until the brakes are completely bled. These are not necessary, but make bleeding the brakes a 30 second, one man job. The Russel Speed Bleeders come two to a pack, so if you do the whole 4-wheeler, you will have one left over. I got mine for $13.00 a set from White Brothers.

02-19-2002, 11:31 PM
i got a mighty vac and it's also helpful when you overfill a tranny and such things. I'm glad i stole it from my auto class at school. They never used it anyways. it sat in the same spot 3 years strait.

PsychoDave
02-25-2002, 04:18 PM
Get a vac-bleeder like LEO said....it makes life much easier and cleaner!

02-26-2002, 11:05 AM
when you bleed them....do u switch front right side to left.....or do 1side like 3times...then the other?:confused:

JabberJaw
02-26-2002, 05:33 PM
I had to give my bike a transfusion because it got some muddy water in the reseviour.

str400ex
02-26-2002, 08:11 PM
i just use a serenge like you use for a needel sorry about the spelling, and put a piece of tubbing on it and force the brake fluid up from the caliapers

03-05-2002, 12:59 PM
Bleeding the brakes on a quad is just like a car, but you can do it by yourself. First off, install your new brake lines. Second, add your brake fluid as needed. Third, you are going to have to pump your brakes. This pushes the air through your lines. DO NOT LEAVE YOUR BLEEDERS OPEN FOR AN HOUR OR SO! Start with your front brakes. Pull your brake lever in slowly about 5 - 10 times.
Then hold in the lever. Using a wrench, loosen the bleeder on the caliper. If you pumped the brake lever correctly- fluid should shoot out. As you work the air out(keep repeating the procedure), the fluid should just dribble out. There should be no air at all. Do your fronts(left and right), then rear(using brake pedal/lever). Top off the fluid and test your bike out. Take it slow to make sure the brakes work. If they feel mushy, then bleed them some more. REMEMBER: LEAVING THE BLEEDERES OPEN JUST ALLOWS MORE AIR IN!

"BLAHH"300!!
03-11-2002, 08:48 PM
.....(front brakes)..put the resivoier lid back on (screwd down) then do the steps above?....if i need more brake fluid, take off the lid add fluid recover and start over..?....man i hate brakes haha....
mine were fine worked great but i decided my fluid was a little low so i added...no brakes..now i can't get em' bled....let me get this streight

can i put some sort of hose from the bleeder's on the R/L brakes up to my front res. cup and pump the leaver untill all the fluid (bubbles) are worked out?...will i be doing any good with the resivoier cup open....do i have to have the lid on the cup?.....