PDA

View Full Version : shifting and clutching question

atvrulz
10-26-2003, 04:49 PM
When riding quads, i have always slightly let up on the gas when shifting up to higher gears. I had a raptor before and was told i would phuck it up if i kept the throttle pinned when shifting gears. What is up with this? Do the pro's let up a little when shifting gears. What quads can you just have it pinned and not worry about wrecking anything when shifting up and down the gears.
thanks

stupid driver
10-26-2003, 05:02 PM
this is a very argueable situation. Many people say let up, while others say keep it WFO. Me, i let up when im riding around trails, havin fun. When i drag , or get into an actual racing situation, i usually keep it pinned. If you dont always do it, you should be ok. Just be sensible with it and youll be ok :)

Toadz400
10-26-2003, 06:38 PM
we're talking about pulling in the clutch also right?:huh

pnut420
10-26-2003, 06:49 PM
Ok staying pinned on the trottle while shifting isnt going to do any harm at all as long as the clutch is pulled in. Also we dont want to get into clutchless shifting it is more of a personal thing that starts arguements :p

There are many variables to when you can dump the clutch while pinning it, if you are going downhill it will be fine, but if you are climbing its not the best thing.

stupid driver
10-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Ok staying pinned on the trottle while shifting isnt going to do any harm at all as long as the clutch is pulled in. .

idk, i did that ALL the time on my old motor. Always speed shifted. then my rod blew, stock motor. from then i kinda thought that it wasnt always the best thing on motors, mainly the rod. Reason being: you are going from 10krpm to about 5k in an instant. Also, the rod goes from having no load, to carrying one. Im not trying to start nothin, and most likely im wrong here, this is just how i see it.

oh well, now i gots a carillo rod, speed shift all i want :D

atvrulz
10-26-2003, 09:08 PM
LOL, Toad. Yes, i mean pulling in the clutch each time you are shifting gears. i have always been told to slightly let up on the throttle when when pulling in the clutch with the left hand while shifting gears. Is everyone hear telling me you do not have to do this? Now i know why i am so phucking slow. If you can just keep the throttle pinned and just use the clutch lever when shifting gears that would be awesome.
Are you sure there will be no internal damage to the engine if you have the throttle pinned while clutching and shifting gears?
thanks

pnut420
10-26-2003, 09:33 PM
Its so hard to say that that was the cause of the rod blowing but I see what you are saying. Personally I beat my quad pretty bad and just plan on fixing it, some say its stupid but i have alot more fun than they do. When dragging right before I start I rev it almost to the limiter and dump the clutch starting in 2nd gear, I only weigh 120 so that helps, but I dont let off at all when I shift from 2nd to third and if I hit a bump while shifting and miss the clutch lever I just let off a little and clutchless shift it. i did this for a year straight and the motor was still going and the clutch wasnt slipping, so its pretty much up to you. I just never grind gears or any of that. Also if your engine is modded and you run a stock clutch you have to go a little easier on it than witht the stocker

harebounder
10-27-2003, 08:02 AM
Here is a general listing of what everyone is talking about.
Speed shifting is letting off the throttle and shift as fast as you can and getting back on the gas.
Power shifting is not letting off on the gas and shifting as fast as you can still useing the clutch.
What everyone is trying to tell you if you constantly power shift yes you will do more damage than shifting regularly or speed shifting.
My suggestion is power shift when you are trying to get the holeshot, drag racing so on, when you are trail riding why put your machine through the extra abuse. I don't power shift mine very often and i still do pretty good on holeshots.

rebound
10-27-2003, 10:09 AM
IMO powershifting will allow a little extra UMPF when up shifting.

keep it pinned and clutch it..

of course it will wear parts out faster but there is not much of a banging gears situation than if you just speedshifted..

now, something not mentioned.
In very tight situations when it is to SLOW to pull in the clutch to down shift clicking on the shifter is fine, just be sure you make a good downshift.

atvrulz
12-12-2003, 12:31 PM
What do the pro's do like farr, jones, gust, ballance do ?
Do They just keep that throttle pinned through the whole race and just clutch and shift?
thanks.

400exdad
12-13-2003, 08:55 AM
Rulz, It probably depends on the quad and the conditions. But, pros probably don't use the clutch as much as you and I probably should. However, they're probably going to go through the motor after each race anyway and they (most of them) don't have to pay for it. In MX, and if they're on a 2 stroke, you can bet they are feathering the clutch out of every turn to keep the motor in the revs and making power... again, they're going to go through the motor or at least replace the clutch after every race... Make sense? IMHO, there is probably nothing worse on the gearbox, clutch, and drivetrain that drag racing. Not to mention the rod bearings. Again, IMHO, in racing, especially for money, it may be "justified" to go ballistic on a motor, but just for fun, no.... But thats just me. A friend of mine was told (by a pro racer) to keep his R pinned after every jump. I imagine that would help "launch" the quad when it landed... which might help win a race... My friend, when trail "racing" always did that ....... and had the expected results... clutch replacements, chain failures, and quick sprocket wear. He seemed to go through motors more than most of us too. It all comes down to this: Would you rather spend cash on repairs or improvements?