PDA

View Full Version : ?? on A-arm replacement (tools)

02-07-2002, 03:20 PM
Is it necessary to shell out approx $160 for the ball joint remover tool listed in my 400EX service manual, or is there a more reasonable method or tool that can be used for this? Might I be able to rent a similar tool from the local auto parts store?

Thanks for your input.

kabd69667
02-07-2002, 04:20 PM
**** man you don't need anything like that..just put keep the bolt on the end of it and then take a hammer and a big punch and pound it out. Thats what i did and they came out fine.

02-07-2002, 04:42 PM
right on, I'll give it a "whack" as it were . . . thanks

CBW
02-07-2002, 04:55 PM
or just go to that local auto parts store and get a tie rod end remover......its only $15 or something....and it is tapered so as you tapit into place it drives the ball joint out...;)

beerock
02-07-2002, 07:28 PM
Please dont whack your spindles with a hammer!!!!!! please!!!

Dont go and get the fork tool either, youll ruin the boots!!!!-the fork cuts the boots sometimes.

This is how to do it:

Loosen both bolts up all the way until they are about to come off(make the bolts flush with the end of the tie rod thread).

find a SOCKET that will fit in between the top and bottom bolt.

THEN with two open end wrenches hold the one bolt and then proceed to LOOSEN the other bolt making the SOCKET push either the top or bottom ball joint out.

Once one of the ball joints pop out, find a longer socket(deep socket) to put in between the bolts once again
(when you do this you have to RESET the bolt until it is flush with the tierod end so you have a couple turns to pop out the other ball joint)

and then loosen the bolt again

BAM both ball joints are out with NO POUNDING on the spindles.
thus lessening the risk of puttin a hairline crack in your spindles.

from what I have seen and heard 4ooex spindles arent to strong, actually the 250r spindles are stronger.

02-28-2002, 11:32 PM
thanks a bunch fer the tip, worked great! now the only problem is tightening the new upper ball joint. its got no flat spots to grab on to, and just spins when I try to tighten, any ideas?

Thanks again!

03-01-2002, 07:32 AM
A big C-clamp,,really big clamp,,so you can fit it over the top of each ball joint,,tighten it up and you'll be able to tighten them down. Am I makin since?????:huh

03-01-2002, 09:31 AM
Okay, duh, that makes sense. Thanks alot. BTW, gettin' REALLY "EX"-cited putting all this together -- like gettin a whole new bike!