PDA

View Full Version : Got a question.

2001400ex
10-26-2003, 12:06 PM
Has anyone on this site ACTUALLY put a CRF450R Engine in their 400EX? Or seen someone's 400 that has done it? I'm wondering how much it will cost me to put the CRF450R Engine in it, I know it's not going to be cheap, so would it be worth it to go with the CRF450R engine, or do like a 426 or 440 kit? If I go with the 440 kit, will it give me just as much power as the CRF450R Engine swap?

bradley300
10-26-2003, 01:23 PM
it takes a lot of work to get a 400ex motor the same 55 horse the dirtbike motor has.

if you really want to do a motor swap, i suggest a yz or wr 426. they are bullet proof motors and asuuming you have to buy an entire bike to get the motor, the yammys are about half the price.

you may even be able to find a wr with electric start (not sure what year they started that tho)

remember neither of these motors will be worth squat w/o a good higher end (elka, axis, pep) suspension.

good luck with the swap

arens also makes a crf/400ex frame that should make the whole procces a lot easier.

2001400ex
10-26-2003, 02:23 PM
OK, thanks for the info, appreciate it, I was thinking about making a trip to the town junkyard hoping to find a CRF engine that would run, I still have to get the money to start the project, if I can do it.

4wheelboy
10-26-2003, 02:35 PM
i nkow some ne thats gota a 426 in a coustom frame. and he always says he selling it and getting the new yfz450. he can never get it to run and. its also a high mantnence engine. id just wait and buy the new honda or yami:o

10-26-2003, 02:39 PM
if you build it..in a few years you will be able to call it outdated...isnt that neat?:)

2001400ex
10-26-2003, 04:54 PM
I'm guessing I shouldn't go along with this project then:o But my money is EXTREMELY limited and I'm looking for more power, if I had the money I'd have a new YFZ or wait for the new 450R, but a new quad is just not an option, I mean...I could sell mine but I don't know if I could get something with more unf:rolleyes:,anyways like I said before, thanks for all your input I appreciate it!

10-26-2003, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by 2001400ex
I'm guessing I shouldn't go along with this project then:o But my money is EXTREMELY limited and I'm looking for more power, if I had the money I'd have a new YFZ or wait for the new 450R, but a new quad is just not an option, I mean...I could sell mine but I don't know if I could get something with more unf:rolleyes:,anyways like I said before, thanks for all your input I appreciate it! i wasnt being mean..its just when building a quad...you should have a extended fund so you can make it worth your time...LT front end...fully aftermarket stuff....not jsut what you need to get by...wich is why its pointless....just buy a yfz or wait for the trx...i tihnk its kinda funny that people still build them..because the average hybrid is 15-20k..and a yfz with about 3k in mods +a few bolt ons can beat it no problem

Chef
10-26-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer27
the average hybrid is 15-20k..and a yfz with about 3k in mods +a few bolt ons can beat it no problem

We shall see about that.:cool:

pnut420
10-26-2003, 06:43 PM
I think if you you know what you are doing and can do some of the work yourself, a hybrid is a good way to go. You can get a blown up 400ex or one someone is parting out, put the shocks and a-arms you want, etc... and be ahead of a YFZ450 with 3,000 in mods. You are going to want a pipe for that new YFZ, so might as well have a custom exhaust made for the hybrid, you will want shocks for the YFZ, so that would be equivilant to shocks on the hybrid, streetinf stem same thing, etc...