PDA

View Full Version : Brakes gone already?

chucked
10-26-2003, 07:10 AM
my buddy has a '87 iroc-z comaro. About 4 months ago we replaced all the brake pads on it. he calls me up last night saying "I dont know why, but after i went in reverse, it made my brakes start squeeking again" so now his brakes squeek just as they did when they were really low and the sensor was hitting the rotor, Could the brake pads really be gone already?? I think he bought nice long lasting ones too.

Guy400
10-26-2003, 07:39 AM
Pull the wheels and check the pads for thickness. When you replaced the pads the last time did you spray the backs of them with disc brake quiet? You can get it at any auto parts store. It's an adhesive spray (always been blue with the stuff I've used) that you apply to the back of the pads that reduces squeaks. If your friend is down to the squealers already than he needs to learn to take it a little easier on the brakes. Also, are the rotors smooth or are there grooves worn in them?

chucked
10-26-2003, 06:40 PM
his pads were down all the way to the sensor, and his rotors were pretty warped and they really need to be turned or replaced. He's not going to worry about it until these pads go.

250rpilot
10-26-2003, 07:30 PM
make sure to adjust the rear brakes also, and keep adjusting them at every oil change, it will make the car stop alot better, and the brakes will last alot longer all the way around. most people overlook the rear brake adjustment, thinking that they are self adjusting. while they are self adjusting, they do not adjust like they should.........in theory it is a good design, but in the real world, well, they just usually dont work right.

chucked
10-26-2003, 07:51 PM
He has 4 wheel disk brakes. But my neons back brakes squeek bad and they are warped (drum brakes) like they dont just "squeeeeeeeeeek" when i hit the brakes they go " squeek squeek squeek squeek squeek squeek squeek...." I hate neons. its had 3 new head gaskets in it from when it was new till I got it. I dont know what the hell they were doing to it.