PDA

View Full Version : 20" Tires on 300EX

kc 300EX
02-07-2002, 02:03 PM
I just bought a set of (very) used 20" turf tamers on stock rims, they were only 60 bucks altogether, thats why I wanted them. Im gettin them this weekend. Anyways, I was wondering how you guys like 20" tires on your 300s?? Im considering getting a 14t front sprocket, Do you think Ill need it? I know Im gonna have to find a way to modify my case saver to make it fit, Do you think I can just grind it to make it thinner? or does that defeat the purpose? Think I can make some kind of replacement? Anyone have any suggestion? thanx

02-07-2002, 03:31 PM
I would think you will like the 20" tires, but if they are bald or if the rims are bent, I don't know how much you will enjoy them.

As for going from a 13t front sprocket to a 14t, I don't see the need. I would wait and try the tires out first, before doing any additional modifications.

Good luck!

dirtclog
02-07-2002, 04:32 PM
I had 20" turf tamers on douglas .190's and hated them for my type of riding. I needed the 22" for the woods. I also hated the 20" because caused engine to "rev out". changing the sprocket would help that but I don't like the idea of removing the case saver. you can see my 300ex with 20" turf tamers on it in rides section on last page...last time I checked...I'm still waiting for Leo to update with a new picture I sent him.

Live2Ride300
02-11-2002, 03:20 PM
How much ground clearance would you lose by putting 20 inch tires on a 300ex?

Live2Ride300
02-11-2002, 03:21 PM
I like to ride in pits mostly, but I have to take trails to get there, the 22inch would deffienitly be better for the trails but the 20inchers would be good for the track and the pits

Live2Ride300
02-11-2002, 03:23 PM
How much top end speed would i lose by putting 20inch tires on my 300ex? Could I make up for that in a sprocket change??

Thanks for info in advance

phatswinn
02-11-2002, 07:21 PM
i've got 20 inchers and a 14 tooth and the combo is mint i love it, the only thing you lose is 1 inch of ground clearence

"BLAHH"300!!
02-12-2002, 12:26 PM
...................DON'T GET 18'S....................

THEY SUK...for the places i ride and i havn't had a chance to get a larger size..i'm thinkin about the stocker' tire's for the 400ex....but they go on 9" rimes right??....or is the 400ex's stock rims..10".?....tell me there tens'....we went looking for stock 400 tires for a freind last friday...."SORRY WE DON'T HAVE THEM IN STOCK.WE CAN ORDER THEM AND GET THEM IN 3 DAYS.".....what there stock tires..why do you call em 'stock tires if there not in stock.?"....."well do you have a stock air box for the 400ex."?.."SORRY WE DON'T HAVE THEM IN STOCK. WE CAN ORDER THEM AND GET THEM IN 3 DAYS."...well dayumm...do you have a filter and oil for the 400ex..."SORRY WE DON'T HAVE THEM IN STOCK. WE CAN.....BLAH BLAH...."...and all this came from the honda dealer in vicksburg....we had to drive 30minutes to another town to get all these parts....they don't have $hit....the head michanic there left and opend up a shop at his house so the dealership here in town doesn't even have a michanic "IN STOCK"
they have an assymbler..a guy in the back that puts the bikes together but doesn't know a thing about working on em'....but lukily i know the ex-mechanic there and can get a better deal going to his house anyway........wait.i didn't mean to rant here...sorry i was thinking out loud...my badd....
my pont was...unless your runnin "VERY" SHORT RACES..don' get the 18 inch tires' atleast not for the fast trekkers'.i think the holshot 18's are a little taller...but still

Scott
02-12-2002, 12:36 PM
Is there an aftermarket case saver that will fit on a 300 with a 14t front sprocket? Right now I have 22's, K&N, supertrapp, and a 125 main, and I put a 14t on to see what it would do. I don't think I'm going to leave the 14t on, but I might if there is a case saver that will work with it.

TRX250XFIRE
02-12-2002, 05:21 PM
i have a buddy that has 20's on his 300EX, he races all the time and also loves to ride the trails, he can not figure out a bad thing to say about them, i dont think that it takes to much off the top speed, i think that it is a good set up. im gettin 18s for mine, just cause i think with the smaller enigine i think it would be easyer to spin them when im racing.

Houser Cannondale
02-12-2002, 08:41 PM
if i was you ive heard that unless you keep your case saver like you said that if your chain comes off it will cost you a side case and alot of money. im thinkin about gearing up but i think im just gonna drop two teeth on the back sprocket and it wont be as much of a change in gearing because i ride trails too

thats my $.02