PDA

View Full Version : Strokin a 440?

Smokin 440
10-25-2003, 10:35 PM
I was wonderin if it was possible to increase the stroke of my 440. Because A) It would give me more low end torque and B) With my stage 2 cam would it give me a broader powerband or not? What would i all need to do? new crank? any head work? and about what would it cost?

If anybody has done it any info is appreciated, Thanks:)

Waynes400ex
10-26-2003, 01:25 AM
www.powroll.com

Smokin 440
10-27-2003, 03:35 PM
bumpity bump. anybody done it? is it worth it? so on so forth...

10-27-2003, 03:40 PM
we r disscussing this same subject in my thread what mods next? i wanna do the same thing to my 416ex but i cant figure out who to go with

ported440
10-27-2003, 03:53 PM
I have one. It has a ton of torque. It just depends what you plan on doing with it. If you do it while you have it apart get longer cylinder bolts or get yours helicoiled first off and you shouldn't have any trouble. I had powroll do my crank They were real fast with it (They had it for one day) And I have had no trouble. And with there kit the only thing that I had to do was skirt the wiseco piston but for some extra money the have Pro x piston kits that are cut already.

10-27-2003, 03:55 PM
where did u get ur stroker kit...powroll?...if so...what kinda work do they have to do...and what all is involved with the piston...what do u mean by skirt?

Smokin 440
10-27-2003, 03:58 PM
yeah i was wondering b/c i want more low end for xc, either that or i just go to a stage I cam, but i want more power all around so yeah..... and i wanna say i got bored and stroked it :devil:

ported440
10-27-2003, 04:03 PM
All you have to do is send powroll your crank and they will take it apart stroke it 4 mm and put a new rod on it. By skirt the piston you have to machine part of the skirt of the piston to clear the counterbalancer with the longer stroke. Its all pretty easy just expensive. I use mine for xc and it works great.

10-27-2003, 04:06 PM
how much it cost?

ported440
10-27-2003, 04:10 PM
I think it was 544 plus shipping for the crank. then whatever else you want to do while you have it apart. I put on a aux cooler for the heat and new bearings and seals just because I was there and I did the flywheel at the same time. I did it myself but if you send it to someone its pretty expensive.

10-27-2003, 04:15 PM
wow...that is an owie...so what all do u have to do here...they shorten the rod...lengthen the crank...where is all that money going?

ported440
10-27-2003, 04:24 PM
Thats a good question!! But I have been told that the rod is a pretty good chunk of it. someone told me it looked like a Falican rod whatever that is. Suposed to be the best around. even suposed to be better then the Carrilo. But I don't know. It doesn't have a name or any numbers on it to tell.

Waynes400ex
10-27-2003, 04:27 PM
I was going to go the stroker route, so I call Sparks and asked them what they thought of strokers. They said they are a good idea for certain motors, but not the 400ex. Maybe it is because they dont offer a stroker. They told me it wasnt the best way to get power out of a 400ex. Anyways I went with sparks info (cause they are supposed to make the quickest motors) and went with a straight bore 440. Just my 2 cents

10-27-2003, 04:28 PM
ok so what work do they do there...lengthin the rod and give u a new crank...and thats it? is it possible to do the rod urslef and just buy the crank...how much would they cost...or do u buy a new rod?

pnut420
10-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
wow...that is an owie...so what all do u have to do here...they shorten the rod...lengthen the crank...where is all that money going?

Give them a call, I called them about a stroker kit and they answered every question I had in no time. I also have heard they are alot faster at getting it done.

For about $505, you get the 440cc BORE AND STROKE COMBINATION - #00302S & #16099 $504.45

87mm Bore and 4.0mm Stroke. The best horsepower bang for your buck, this kit has great overall power that can't be beat!

Piston has a shorter pin-to-deck height so no cylinder spacers are needed.

Piston kit bores into your stock liner and includes: Piston, pin, rings, clips and headgasket.

Strokers utilize your stock crank assembly to increase displacement (and generate more torque!) by relocating the crank pin further out on the flyweights. Stroke work is done on your good crank assembly and requires your stock rod, pin and needle assembly to be in good condition.

Price includes stroke work and bore kit only.

But if you want to add the stroker to the big bore you already have you need this: STROKER WITH Heavy Duty Rod - #16092 $544.50
Availability may be limited

460cc with an 89mm piston.

This stroker utilizes our super-heavy duty rod (with your stock pin and needle assembly). In engines larger than 440cc's (and high rpm applications!), the stock rod and many aftermarket alternatives may not be strong enough. Unlike some aftermarket rod assemblies, the Powroll rod does not require any case or tranny cutting for clearance. The shorter rod also allows you to utilize any 400EX piston kit (skirting may be required), making this the easiest and most reliable option available!

Stroke work done on your stock crank assy, your stock pin and needle assembly must be good.

This is an awesome way to go right here, because you can use your standard JE or Ross piston of choice.

10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
ya ive read that on there site...i have the bore i want....416...i want to get a stroker and bring it up to 440...how much that gonna cost...i didnt c that on there site...do i have to call them for that...and waynes...what all did sparks tell u...im very curious what they had to say about this subject...and if it isnt the best way...then what is?

Smokin 440
10-27-2003, 04:36 PM
Are there any other companies besides powroll? i think FST im not sure though. i cant find nothin on 'em. mickey dunlop is a member correct? i would wanna ask him how to go about it

10-27-2003, 04:37 PM
ya i would like to hear mickey's comments also...i wish he would get on lol

pnut420
10-27-2003, 04:55 PM
FDO makes strokers as well and a few others do as well. I also know how business works sometimes you tell the customer something that makes the sale, but my personal opinion is I feel a 440 powroll stroker is going to straight up give you better power than a 440 big bore done by Sparks. Sparks does not offer a stroker kit, so I doubt they will admit the stroker is a good way to go. I also have heard more people having problems with 440 big bore blowing gaskets, etc... than I do about the stroker motors. Look at the % power increase from a 416 to a 440 on powroll's site, then check out the % of the 440 stroker. Also the stroker will have awesome power off the line.

Waynes400ex
10-27-2003, 05:31 PM
Like I said earlier I was going to get this done also. Another thing that made me decide not to do it was that powroll told me that the highest compression they offer is something like 10.8 to 1 , i ask them why and they said i would be blowing headgasket quite often if i went above 10.8 to 1 with a stroker. But i still wonder what the power of the stroker is like?

10-27-2003, 05:33 PM
good thing i got a 10.8:1 piston...:D...o well im still debating on wether to do it or not

GoLikeHell
10-27-2003, 05:56 PM
I am using a 463 stroker from FDO right now. I can not give you a complete report on the kit due to waiting for the Edelbrock carb to be reworked for proper fueling (trying this first before buying a new carb). But I will say even with the bike not running right, the power and torque is unreal! Ask oynot400 about the stroker kits from FDO, I bought mine from him.

Thanks
Mark