PDA

View Full Version : Oil leak

airheadedduner
10-25-2003, 10:03 PM
My EX is leaking oil from the oil filter cover since I have put it together, only leaving a spot about the size of a dime in a week on my floor, but still leaking. Are you supposed to but a new oring on it everytime you take it off?? There is nothing on the o-ring and it is tightened down good but is still leaking. When you unbolt it it pulls off with quite a bit of resistence.

10-25-2003, 10:12 PM
ya it will be kinda hard to get off always...i dunno if u need to replace the ring...i never did and i have changed it like 10 times since i had the bike...many of them because of my rebuild...but...are u sure that u put the filter on correctly...the side in front in front and not in rear...and that it pressed on the spring right and didnt slide out or anything? this could be the problem...otherwise it sounds like its just not sealing...it could be that ring u are talkin about...or maybe the bolts loosened and it began leaking...check some of these...eliminate answers...and u will find out what it was

airheadedduner
10-25-2003, 10:18 PM
I took it apart again after I put it back together. The filter and spring are in right. Before it would constantly drip. I havn't even riddin it yet besides starting it up in the driveway so the bolts couldn't have worked loose.

JOEX
10-25-2003, 10:51 PM
I'd say look at and feel the o-ring very closely. There could some very minor damage to it. And make sure it seating in the groove properly.

Also look at the mating surfaces of the cover and the case for burr's or gouges.

Mine is always a bit tight getting off too.

Joe

Live2Ride300
10-25-2003, 11:38 PM
EX? What happened to your R?

cals400ex
10-27-2003, 09:06 AM
i would just go to autozone next time and buy one of their filters. they carry stp filters for the 400ex. the # is smo-15. they probally won't realize they carry filters for atvs. i usually tell them they do but they say they don't. i think it is in their computers as motorcycles. the honda's all use the same filter until you get to the 500cc's. this filter comes with a new gasket too. i would make sure nothing is cracked on the case around and right below the filter. i would also get one of these filters and replace the gasket that the filter comes with. they are only like $4-5 for the filter and gasket.