PDA

View Full Version : DG Baja Swing Arm Skid Plate

kerby400ex
10-25-2003, 08:24 PM
I have a DG Baja Skid Plate on my EX. When I'm hillclimbing and there's ruts in the trail, I usually end up getting hung....something nobody wants half-way up a hill. The plate goes straight across the back, if I notch it out in the middle, will this weaken the plate too much?

muff
10-26-2003, 02:26 PM
I think if you made a nice little arc between them it would still be kinda stong, but you do have to realize you can still get stuck no matter how much you cut

theres 3 ways to prevent getting hung up
1. Buy bigger tires
2. Carry more speed
3. Don't use a skid plate

since you say you ride trails keep the skidplate on, most mx'rs dont...next time try to carry more speed into the bottom of the hill, it will help get you over the top even if you are sliding on your skidplate

kerby400ex
10-27-2003, 11:55 AM
Hey muff....thanks for the reply. I think I'm going to notch it out a little bit. I'll keep everone informed on how things turn out. And if that still doesn't do the trick I'll go a size bigger on the tires.

muff
10-27-2003, 12:54 PM
anytime, digging it out will solve the issue

also welcome to the site :blah:

Badger_Skid
10-29-2003, 06:52 AM
If you do notch it out take some more time and maybe put a gusset on the sides, if you bend an aluminum skidplate and have to bend it back you crack the materal where you can't see it. The gussets can be made out of any aluminum lying around but 5052 or 6061 wouild be a beter choice, find a good tig welder and ask for a nice weld. He'll know what to do but heating it in an oven for a bit will help the welding also.

Just one more inch of ground clearance makes a big difference.

Just my .02, good luck on those hills.

kerby400ex
10-31-2003, 09:12 PM
Thanks for the reply also. I talked to a buddy and he suggested the same thing about talking to a tig welder. I'm at school right now, but as soon as i go home. I'll ask around.