PDA

View Full Version : Lt250r

honda_250x_87
10-24-2003, 09:30 PM
hey, tomorrow im goin ta look at a late 80's LT250R, im gettin it fer pretty cheap.. trading my 90' kx80 for it ($400). it needs a new sleeve and maybe a piston. so i was wonderin, are they junk? what should i look for? i am gettin a brand new bike in a couple of months, so i really dont care about it as long as i get 3-4 months out of it.. do u think its worth fixing? thanks

-Craig

Guy400
10-25-2003, 03:15 PM
What year exactly are you looking at? You already know the top end is trashed so make sure you check the frame for cracks (at every weld on the LT frame). Check the back end of swingarm and make sure both chain adjustment studs are there because they're prone to breaking off. Check wheel bearings, any slop in the steering stem (lower bushing known to wear) and other normal wear-and-tear areas. The engine/tranny is going to be a big question mark so good luck.

Greg Z
10-25-2003, 04:28 PM
look at the a-arms look at EVERYTHING

Lt's are prone to breaking frames

my friend LT250r it was an 88 and his a-arm fell off while riding he was lucky to have a helmet on:p

revolution86
10-26-2003, 07:45 PM
they're hella fast. the '87+ models were actually faster than the TRX250R. But they didn't handle near as good and the frame geometry sucked for MX, even though they had a good bit of suspension travel... It'll probably still outhandle a Banshee, though.

They came stock with powervalve! that's definitely an added bonus.

if I was building a 250 class flat track quad on a budget, I'd get a Quadracer for sure, no doubt about it.

And there's also a good bit of aftermarket for them. not as big as the TRX250R, but theres still big bore kits, pipes, A-arms, swingarms, axles... You name it. They even used to make chromoly frames for them with 250R geometry, but they're hard to get now.

All in all, I think that you got a hell of a deal. people nowadays just don't know what they're getting rid of when they give away these great machines.