PDA

View Full Version : 450R A-Arms?

bigz-71
10-24-2003, 12:11 AM
i was wanting to buy some a-arms for my 450r once i get it and i wanted to know what kind i should get. i think i want long travel. i was going to go with elka shocks. i have heard that they are the best. i was going to leave the stock alone for right now and get it revalved later. i am going to put an axle it as well. well the axle is going to be an rpm axle. i have a 400ex with a-arms, axle, wheels, and a lot of other mods. i have just rec. a-arms and on this quad i want to step it up. i also have works middle line shock. they only cost me $450. i did not have a grand to put on shocks back then but i am saving for the shocks now so i can put them on the 450R. but i am just curious about what a-arms should i go with. i really like roll design but i have heard that they are about $1200 bucks. i did not want to spend that kind of money on a-arms but i was looking at a grand or a little under a grand. any advice is very much welcomed here.

YTZ250#1
10-24-2003, 12:35 AM
I had Houser A arms and elka shocks on my 400ex and was in love with them until my wife had the Quad stolen from me.And as soon as I can proove she was involved she is gone.

bigz-71
10-24-2003, 02:51 PM
thats got to suck. your own wife stole your bike. i will look into the hosiers. thanks. well good luck on finding out who stole your bike.

ThomsonRacing
10-24-2003, 04:29 PM
Houser makes an excellent set of long-travel a-arms. I run them on my 400ex with PEP shocks and the quad handles awesome. They run about $800 (for the 400ex), but they require long travel shocks...I am not saying that you can't run the stock 450R shocks, but you are not going to get full benefit of the Long Travel A-Arms then. Some things to note because I gathered that you don't want to spend a lot of money...To go to long travel, you will need the a-arms (about $800)...long travel shocks (about $1,200)...and if you race or ride anywhere where the max width of the machine is 50" (they check this at all of the National's)...you need to by new front wheels with a 4x1 offset instead of the standard 3x2...I believe that the only wheels that are sold with this offset (4x1) are Ultimate wheels with or without beadlocks and of course you have to buy 2 (at least $100/each). So anyway, you get the idea...it isn't cheap.

A couple of other notes...the houser a-arms (for my 400ex anyway, I assume the front ends of the 450R and 400ex are the same) do not have a lot of adjustments that can be made (camber, caster). You pretty much bolt them on and you have what you have. I have a friend that makes a-arms, etc. and can make them for about any quad out there. The benefit of this is I know he can weld two different shock mounts on the a-arms...This will allow you to not have to buy shocks and wheels and a-arms all at once. And if eventually you buy new shocks (I recommend PEP's, there are a lot more people out there that can work on these if they ever need revalved, rebuilt, etc than there are for about any other shock) you just use the other shock mount, but I think you are able to use the same 3x2 offset wheels with the stock shocks or long travel shocks. Check out www.soreracing.com. I know he is getting a new site built so it may be down, but you can ask him for the details. Good Luck!

10-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by YTZ250#1
I had Houser A arms and elka shocks on my 400ex and was in love with them until my wife had the Quad stolen from me.And as soon as I can proove she was involved she is gone. sorry man but thats the funniest thing iv'e ever heard...:blah:

YTZ250#1
10-24-2003, 07:17 PM
She claims that she had nothing to do with it,but I think she was
pissed that I spent more time with the quad than I did with her.
It was taken 1yr ago on the 13th of this month and I have no real leads on it.My $10,000 baby is gone,and if I catch the guy he's dead.

bigz-71
10-26-2003, 12:26 PM
you mentioned that i will have to get new wheels, well that is only a 100 dollars and when i am spending 2 grand thats nothing. i already know its not going to be cheap but i want to do it the right way instead of just finding some cheap parts. i want good reliable parts. i am planing on doing all at the same time. 800 dollars for a-arms sounds good. i was thinking like 1000-1200. and then another 1000 for shocks. i am looking to spend 2000 on the a-arms and shocks. i know i need brake lines and now wheels, but those things are things that i will have to just bite the bullet and buy because i will need them.

i would like to get them chrome platted. i like it to shine. i am sure that will be extra, so i might just choose red. i will just have to see how christmas goes (figure how my pops want to spend on them, hopefully). i am buying the shocks out of my pocket, so no he does not buy everything. but thats about it.

do you know how much chrome is and is it extra or is it a choice you can get for 800 dollars? the houser sounds like a really good a-arm. i am going to check into them.

thanks!

Jersey450R
10-17-2004, 07:13 AM
check out JRD arms man. they have a deal; arms, stell braided lines, and custom axis shocke for like 2400 man.

asdf450r
10-17-2004, 10:32 AM
and i thought i was the only guy who spent more time with his ride than his girl :blah:

That sucks... :/

Ex_Rider43
10-17-2004, 04:46 PM
that must be 1 happy couple!!

R3Concepts
10-17-2004, 04:58 PM
Bigz71- I thought you already had LPC arms and Elkas? Anyway Thomson Racing, half of what you said is good and the other half...well. The 450r and 400ex are not the same and quite different actually. An a-arm that uses 2 shock mounts, one for 16inch standard travel shocks, and one for 19 or 20 inch long travel shocks is not a good idea. Buy one or the other. You can be under 50" with LT arms on a 450R if they are +2, and still run 3+2 offset wheels. Although I run 4+1 ultimates on my bike, the 3+2 will work just fine, but you will notice more bump steer without a stabalizer. ITP also makes a cheaper version of a 4+1 wheel, the T9, which sells for around 50 bucks. You recommend PEP shocks, which I do also, and they are only 895 for 20 click zps. Also you cannot run stock 450R shocks with LT arms like you say you can. Also caster adjustments on arms are not a huge deal. Most arms with preset caster via solid bushing style mounts are set between positive 4 and 6 degrees. Caster makes the bike turn faster and the average Joe would never know the difference. All aftermarket arms are camber adjustable, via ball joints or heim joints, depending on the style of spindle mounts, and its not you get what you get.

450r-tt-racer
10-17-2004, 09:06 PM
i have viper a arms on mine and i love them if you would like info on them give legacy atv a call or look them up at legacyatv.com

allmixedup047
10-17-2004, 09:22 PM
this thread is one year old!:huh

JrdSHIFT450r
10-18-2004, 07:38 PM
JRD man im tellin you:D

Martin Blair
10-18-2004, 09:40 PM
Originally posted by allmixedup047
this thread is one year old!:huh

lol :D