PDA

View Full Version : 2005 trx 450r???

dwcrash
10-23-2003, 07:41 PM
I heard at a local harescrambles that the second year 450r will come with electric start. I figured this was just another rumor ,but has anyone else heard anything?

Woody_YFZ
10-23-2003, 11:49 PM
That would be nice, but I doubt it will happen. I think they're trying to make it more of a race machine and that will just make it heavier. You never know though.

MIA450R
10-24-2003, 08:05 AM
Considering the problems with the Yamaha 450 electrics, and the added weight, I kinda doubt Honda will go that route...

But who knows.

ATC83
10-24-2003, 08:42 AM
I've heard that rumor too. I heard that the reason Honda didn't put an electric start on the TRX450 is because they were forced to release the bike early and the testing on the electric start was not finished. Honda will be releasing a CRF450X dirt bike with electric start in 2005 and I heard that Honda plans to use this design on the TRX450. Of coarse these are all rumors but Honda would never release an electric start version of the 450 on an atv before the dirt bike. There dirt bikes alway get the new technology first.

Cody_300ex
10-24-2003, 11:39 AM
there will propley be a company that makes a electric start for it Eventually.

Bretmd94
10-24-2003, 11:43 AM
Thats probably good, they shoudl have it as an option. Im glad there isnt though elec strat though. One less thing to take off. :blah:

RobRacing
10-24-2003, 08:14 PM
Electric start is just another pain in the ***. I can't believe that people are to lazy to kick the quad over. To me it feels more like a true machine when you kick instead of push. E-start would also add a couple 10 pounds and a big hassle so why even bother. That's just my 2 cents.

Baley69
10-25-2003, 05:03 AM
All I have to say is after January I'll never buy another 80$ battery again.

10-25-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by Baley69
All I have to say is after January I'll never buy another 80$ battery again.

80?????? there 28 bucks from honda, i kinda like no battery and all those wires

Bretmd94
10-27-2003, 11:34 AM
I just had to deal with a dead battery in my 400 because i left the dumb key on. Its not going to happen with my new 450 when i get it. :D

AlaskaTRX
11-01-2003, 05:12 PM
Personally, I would rather have just a kick start. I think Honda did the right thing with a kick only machine. The people that this quad is targeted for will appreciate it for sure. I hope that Yamaha puts a kick start on the YFZ stock next year, because I don't want to have to buy that damn GYT-R kit for it...

dirtriderex
11-02-2003, 03:02 PM
NO ONE KNOWS JACK IT. When Honda comes out they keep it the way it is. Best quad ever

11-02-2003, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by RobRacing
Electric start is just another pain in the ***. I can't believe that people are to lazy to kick the quad over. To me it feels more like a true machine when you kick instead of push. E-start would also add a couple 10 pounds and a big hassle so why even bother. That's just my 2 cents.

yeah you wont say that when you accidently stall it sometime and everyone passes you why you pull out your kicker and kick, ive stalled and hit the button and never lost a beat in a corner

alias
11-03-2003, 01:49 PM
KICK START 4LIFE

Ryan
11-03-2003, 02:46 PM
If your racing XC and you accidently stall up a hill, or anywhere in the race when your really tired, its not gonna be fun to start it. And on the starts, (dead engine start), its probably easier to grab the holeshot with an eletric starter.

Out_Sider
11-05-2003, 05:41 PM
If your racing XC and you accidently stall up a hill, or anywhere in the race when your really tired, its not gonna be fun to start it. And on the starts, (dead engine start), its probably easier to grab the holeshot with an eletric starter.

Exactly...u wont see me ever racing xc with a kick start!! Even tho i really like honda...and once i turn 16 and sell my 330, i'll probably get either a highly modded 440ex or a YFZ450...because im not gonna race without e start. Even tho i really like how the 450r looks and everything...e start is somin i need

jgfarmsracer
11-05-2003, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by ATC83
I've heard that rumor too. I heard that the reason Honda didn't put an electric start on the TRX450 is because they were forced to release the bike early and the testing on the electric start was not finished. Honda will be releasing a CRF450X dirt bike with electric start in 2005 and I heard that Honda plans to use this design on the TRX450. Of coarse these are all rumors but Honda would never release an electric start version of the 450 on an atv before the dirt bike. There dirt bikes alway get the new technology first.

this is what i have heard too from my dealer

markeg192
11-05-2003, 07:29 PM
Hey Jason where were you Sunday? Hope to see you at the RFGP at the end of the month. I hear they're paying back so you might cash in.

dirtriderex
11-05-2003, 08:47 PM
yeah I heard that next year Honda is going to come out with fuel injection, alluminum frame, and of coarse a reverse and e-start for all you pusseys:rolleyes:

markeg192
11-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Originally posted by dirtriderex
yeah I heard that next year Honda is going to come out with fuel injection, alluminum frame, and of coarse a reverse and e-start for all you pusseys:rolleyes:

What no cd player?

Woody_YFZ
11-05-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
What no cd player?

No kidding what's up with that?? I'm not buying one without a CD player. LOL

bigz-71
11-06-2003, 11:54 AM
i heard they were going to be mp3 players too. LOL!!!
:blah:

bigz-71
11-06-2003, 11:57 AM
and by the way for all of yall that want electric start and reverse, why dont yall talk to honda and see if yall can get the automatic version so yall dont have to shift any gears. you know shifting those gears is a lot of work. i hope yall can handle it. i cant wait for the 450R to get out. i think its going to be the shyt! i figured honda waited this long that the quad will be the bomb. i love my 400ex so i figured i would not go wrong with buying an R.

jgfarmsracer
11-06-2003, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by markeg192
Hey Jason where were you Sunday? Hope to see you at the RFGP at the end of the month. I hear they're paying back so you might cash in.

i had a big party sat. night didn't feel so good sun. morning

Where is this RFGP?

markeg192
11-06-2003, 01:07 PM
http://www.rfgp.net/Home.htm

Fort Smith Arkansas and it's closer than the Thayer race. It's river bottom so it's flat,sandy and fast. You'd be a contender to win this one Jason.

400grl
11-08-2003, 07:21 AM
I've never had a kick start until my Banshee - it's pretty fun! Except when it's cold out and the shee is feeling crabby - then I get a little bit of a work out!!! But on the flip side, I have stalled my 440 in the air on a jump and started it again before I landed.....that is something that was nice to have!! :)

I like the fact that the 450r will have kick and no reverse.......I don't even know how to use reverse, so it would be a waste on me! :)

markeg192
11-09-2003, 05:33 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 400grl
I've never had a kick start until my Banshee - it's pretty fun! Except when it's cold out and the shee is feeling crabby - then I get a little bit of a work out!!! But on the flip side, I have stalled my 440 in the air on a jump and started it again before I landed.....that is something that was nice to have!! :)

I like the fact that the 450r will have kick and no reverse.......I don't even know how to use reverse, so it would be a waste on me! :) [/QUOTE

All the guys whinning about reverse and electric start should try to be more like 400grl.

QuadMatt
11-09-2003, 05:46 PM
Kick start may be cool, but to be competitive in dead start competition, e start is a must. It is the standard of 4 stroke ATV's.

If i didnt race i wouldnt really mind. But, the 450R is supposed to be a race machine, meaning it really needs to have e start.

jb500ex
11-09-2003, 06:00 PM
oh yeah, the old 250r's did real bad in dead start races!

markeg192
11-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Kick start is usually quicker than electric start. the thing is you gotta start first kick.

QuadMatt
11-09-2003, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by jb500ex
oh yeah, the old 250r's did real bad in dead start races!

Actually, 250R's do really well in dead starts. But thanks for your friendly supportive insightful input.

kwatts400
11-09-2003, 11:47 PM
When I had my 400ex, my friends were always waiting for me to get going, even after I changed the jetting on it. They both ride r's. While out riding, when the engines were hot, there wasn't a big difference in start times between the bikes. The sad part was, I had a brand new bike, and had to put a battery charger on it the night before a ride. So if e-start is a big concern, just remember that if you only ride once a month like I do, you have to add in the additional cost of replacing batteries and buying a battery tender. I think it's great that Honda is making this a kickstart bike, and now I will have 2 to kick over, an 89 r and an 04 r.

jb500ex
11-10-2003, 05:24 PM
quadmatt, thats what i was saying. i was replying to a post that was before me.

dwcrash
11-11-2003, 08:58 AM
yeah I heard that next year Honda is going to come out with fuel injection, alluminum frame, and of coarse a reverse and e-start for all you pusseys:rolleyes: :mad: :mad: PUSSEYS huh, Lets get together for a friendly little race sometimes! I was only asking a freaking question! Whats with the attitudes anyways?:mad: :mad:

dirtriderex
11-11-2003, 07:22 PM
when it comes down to racing you don't need a e-start. I'm just getting aggrivated with all the negative input. I'ev been waiting for honda, and now I'm getting one and I'm sick of everyone bashing the 450r. Sure you can use an e-start in dead starts, but it's a luxery not a necessity. I don't see your question just a bash. so chill out:grr:

QuadMatt
11-11-2003, 10:59 PM
If e-start is an advantage, and everyone else in the race has it , then that counts as a necessity to me.

dirtriderex
11-12-2003, 06:48 AM
heck at the harescrambles I go to the 250r's (kickstart) whoop everyone butt. sometimes you have to give a little to gain alot. It shaves off battery problems and weight. don't abree get the yfz i'm sure it's just as good:rolleyes:

markeg192
11-12-2003, 08:47 AM
when it comes down to racing you don't need a e-start. I'm just getting aggrivated with all the negative input. I'ev been waiting for honda, and now I'm getting one and I'm sick of everyone bashing the 450r. Sure you can use an e-start in dead starts, but it's a luxery not a necessity. I don't see your question just a bash. so chill out:grr:

I think the bashing comes fron people who can't afford one and people who spent thier money on a Z/KFX-YFZ and are now afraid those bikes won't be so fast now.

86atc250r
11-12-2003, 09:50 AM
RFGP - You'd be a contender to win this one Jason

Keep in mind that Jathan will likely be racing with us at the RFGP & if he shows up you can figure where 1st place money will go (and if his brother shows up, you can figure on where 2nd place money will go).....

dirtriderex
11-12-2003, 10:30 AM
markeg, I hear you on that one:D

markeg192
11-12-2003, 02:05 PM
Originally posted by 86atc250r
RFGP - You'd be a contender to win this one Jason

Keep in mind that Jathan will likely be racing with us at the RFGP & if he shows up you can figure where 1st place money will go (and if his brother shows up, you can figure on where 2nd place money will go).....

Well dang if those guys are that fast and you'll be there Gabe and it only pays out 5 places. Only 2 open places then! I'm glad I'm slow and will be in the back.:(

86atc250r
11-12-2003, 02:12 PM
I'm just hoping to not break my handlebars again this year :)

Jathan's team has taken 2nd overall in the 12hr race two years in a row - he's way fast.... He races a conversion CRF450 on an aftermarket chassis.

markeg192
11-12-2003, 02:22 PM
Hey Gabe can you ride there other than the RFGP? Also do you know what the kids course will consist of?

dwcrash
11-13-2003, 06:07 AM
when it comes down to racing you don't need a e-start. I'm just getting aggrivated with all the negative input. I'ev been waiting for honda, and now I'm getting one and I'm sick of everyone bashing the 450r. Sure you can use an e-start in dead starts, but it's a luxery not a necessity. I don't see your question just a bash. so chill out:grr: :D I've been waiting for Honda a long time too! I was not bashing, I was asking.:D

dirtriderex
11-13-2003, 09:08 PM
ok, I didn't mean to offend you:D

3rdtimescharm
11-13-2003, 09:50 PM
I say it doesnt matter if you have a start button or a kicker. its all the rider. I have beat everything on the line to the first turn with my push button 4 stroke and I have done the same on my kick start 250R.
Honda will only build a machine with so much technology in it to compete with the other bikes. Not bashing the new 450, but look at it. and you guys are all talking about what OTHER bike they had that was better. well its not out for sale. they only need to make just so many improvment to out sell Yamaha.

dirtriderex
11-14-2003, 06:53 AM
I agree with the rider thing, but hondas not cheap, look at the 400ex, fisrt big 4-stoke racer. hondas got the money they only make it more practical for the average joe to buy one. besides what else does it need a fcr carb, there is no proof that this butterfly carb will suck. If your 1-2 inches of more travel will make or breake you thats sad. I raced harescrambles on my stock 400 and wooped alot of z400's, 660rapters, and them other oversized hogs.

ATC83
11-14-2003, 07:31 AM
I agree with the rider thing, but hondas not cheap, look at the 400ex, fisrt big 4-stoke racer. hondas got the money they only make it more practical for the average joe to buy one. besides what else does it need a fcr carb, there is no proof that this butterfly carb will suck. If your 1-2 inches of more travel will make or breake you thats sad. I raced harescrambles on my stock 400 and wooped alot of z400's, 660rapters, and them other oversized hogs.

The point is about the carb is this, every modern high performance four stroke manufactured today from Ducati to Honda, used the FCR carb. What pisses me off and I think a lot of people on this forum is that we don't want to plunk down our hard earned money on a quad that doesn't have the most cutting edge technology on it. I know that when I bought my YZF450 I was buying a quad with the most advanced technology produced today. That can't be said for the TRX450. I will gaurantee you that Tim Farr's race quad will have an FCR carb. I hate to say this being a life time Honda man but this is where Yamaha is really ahead of Honda. Yamaha offers almost everythig that there factory riders use through there GYT-R products. Just try and get some of the high tech items on Carmicheals or any of there factory riders bikes.

markeg192
11-14-2003, 08:35 AM
BLAH BLAH BLAH Honda has always won more races and they still will . And all you Yamaha guys dont think about it but Yamaha has made the most powerful Quad and fastest quad since 1987,Ever hear of Banshee? Where were you guys with that bike?

86atc250r
11-14-2003, 09:05 AM
ATC83 - sounds to me like you are being blinded by "new bike euphoria"....

Just like all the quads before it, when the trx comes out you'll hear reviews from many new owners who will proclaim that it's far better than anything else ever produced, whether it is or not.

We heard it with the Raptor, we heard it with the LTZ/KFZ, we heard it with the V-Force, etc. etc. etc.

Yamaha offers almost everything on the works bikes thru GYTR? Yeah.. There are no "works" YFZs & you can't buy the unobtainium used on factory works dirtbikes.

Besides, there is better stuff offered thru the aftermarket for less cost than the GYTR stuff.

You're basing all your thoughts on the perception that the FCR is cutting edge and the carb they used is not?

What else is "cutting edge" on the YFZ? Yes, it has a good engine - so does the TRX (maybe even a superior engine). It has better shocks than previously used on ATVs - so does the TRX. It has "gull wing" conrol arms --- tell me, what are the advantages of "gull wing" arms? - more travel? No. More reliability? No. More ground clearance? No. What else does it have that's "Cutting edge"?

A conventional constructed steel frame? Honda based geometry? A seat of granite? Improved Banshee chain adjuster?

Lets go back to the carb... Honda's explanation for using this carb is it doesn't require a push/pull throttle system to meet their safety requirements like the FCR does. So what did they do? They used a different series carb that's larger to compensate for the performance difference between a FCR and a round slide carb.

Do you think you will gain much performance going from a 42mm round slide carb to a 40mm FCR?

I've went from a 35.5mm round slide carb to a 39mm FCR & while it made an impressive difference, I don't think it would have made nearly (if any) difference had my 400EX been equipped with a 41mm conventional carb from the factory --- same difference with the 450.

Besides, if the carb's the main thing that's bothering you, for the difference in MSRP, you can buy a brand new 40mm FCR (which is better than the carb used on the YFZ anyway) and be at the same cost level as a new YFZ anyway.

It fine that you like your YFZ, that's really OK. You don't need to come here and justify it to us. They'll both be good quads, for some of us the TRX has more advantages & that's why we are buying it instead. For some people, the YFZ fits their needs better & that's why they'll buy it.

Will either of these crowds have a distinct & clear cut advantage over the other? More than likely, no.

Pappy
11-14-2003, 09:14 AM
ahhhh gabe lays it out in fine fashion:cool:

i dont get why people bash other brands. if you truly think one is so much better then the other then by all means buy that one and let it do the talking on the track:macho

MOFO
11-14-2003, 09:30 AM
I was buying a quad with the most advanced technology produced today.

if this was true, you would have bought a Cannondale IMO.

Pappy
11-14-2003, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by MOFO
if this was true, you would have bought a Cannondale IMO.

IMO my ***....thats the truth. cannondale put it out there and didnt make it financially. the cdale is awesome and has more to offer then any other quad produced...for now:devil:

ATC83
11-14-2003, 09:44 AM
Here's the thing, I've been in motocross probably long before half of the kids on the forum were even born. For many many years honda was leader and for the most part what yamaha put together was really not that great. This started to change in the late nineties as Yamaha started to eclipse Honda in almost all catagories including 125 and 250 two stroke and 250 and 450 four stroke motocross bikes. Yamaha really changed and almost completely focused on racing and it shows in what they produce. My point is this, what I'm looking for in a quad is a YZ or CR on four wheels. This means no compromises. What Yamaha produced is a YZ on four wheels. Honda did not produce a CR on four wheels. You said it yourself 86atc250r, Honda compramised for "safety reasons". Well I'm not interested in safety reasons. I'm looking for a closed coarse racing machine and Yamaha has produced the closest thing to it. In addition Yamaha offers you all the performance goodies to make it a real performer through GYT-R. I don't see Honda offering a 13:1 piston. As for Cannondale, you may realize they are out of buisiness. I will have to wait and see what Dinili produces.

Wingnut
11-14-2003, 10:36 AM
What Yamaha produced is a YZ on four wheels.

I'd call it a WR on four wheels. After all it does have headlights! Oh well, its still better than my four wheeled XR.:(

86atc250r
11-14-2003, 10:46 AM
I think you're mistaken & it will show when these two quads compete at the track ---- now it will not matter if you are on red or blue as it has in the past, you can win with either - isn't that the way it is with the bikes?

I also don't see your point with the GYTR stuff - unless you like paying more for something than it's worth, more options exist in the aftermarket.

As for Honda dominating in the past - that's true.... It's about time Yamaha stepped up to the plate. The good thing is, now that there's finally another "Real" player, everyone wins because of the competition. How much better is the YZ450 than the YZ400? Do you think all these changes would have come about if not for the CRF450R?

Do you think the YFZ would have come about if the meager 400EX didn't spank the Raptor in competition?

BTW, when was the last time you saw a YZ with an E-start? Smells like compromise to me.

When was the last time you saw a YZ with a restrictive forestry approved silencer & spark arrestor? Lights? Battery?

If the YFZ was built as more of a "closed course race quad" than the TRX why isn't it closer to 50" wide than the standard "sport quad" width?

It's been reported by several now that have actually ridden both that the TRX is at least as powerful as the YFZ - I'm having trouble seeing where you think compromises have been made (by Honda only) that will make the TRX non-competitive with the YFZ. Please enlighten me...

I'll agree that compromises have been made by *both* Yamaha and Honda that keep both these quads from attaining the true status of the "closed course" race bikes straight from the factory. However, they are both great platforms for building a "closed course" race quad.

You're looking thru the eyes of new bike euphoria & not seeing what's in front of you.

kwatts400
11-14-2003, 11:11 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, being a bike enthusiast, but aren't Ducati's fuel injected? And they dont have an aluminum frame either, it has a round tube, steel frame. One more thing about the Ducati, Guess who makes the suspension for it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,SHOWA. Yeah, they are great bikes, but they are really expensive & so is the maintainance on them. If you wanted cutting edge, you would have a quad with fuel injection,aluminum frame,& ohlins shocks straight from the factory, i.e. Cannondale. I'm sure part of the reason that they are out of business right now is that most people who said that they wanted a cutting edge quad, went out and bought a z400, raptor, or a 400ex. I think Honda and Yamaha had Cannondale in mind when they decided just how far to go with these bikes.

As for the statement about not caring about safety, that is the main reason we didn't have new sport quads for so long. Safety issues were the exact reason that Honda quit making the r back in 89.

ATC83
11-14-2003, 11:53 AM
86atc250r, my point about GYT-R is that Yamaha has put in the extra effort to supply there "works" parts to the public. I not nessecarily talking about what they are offering for the YFZ450, although they have some great stuff, but I'm talking about what the have for there motocross bikes, for example the titanium subframes and billet parts that are right of Ferrys and Reeds bike. Honda does not do this.

As for electric start, it is the future of 4-stroke motocross bikes. Cannondale may have pioneered the electric start 4-stroke motocross bike but both Honda and Yamaha are working on ultra light e-starts for there motocross bikes. Motocross Action Magazine built an e-start YZ450 last year using the ultra light battery that Doug Duback sells for the YZ450F. Its only good for two start but if you have ever wiped out on a moto you know how dam important an e-start button can be on a high compression 4-stroke motocross bike. In additon the longer you wait to start before the gate drops the more power you get. Unfortuneatly you only get a few seconds at the starting gate. As soon as Honda and Yamaha can get the weight down to the AMA limit with a battery and e-start that bikes will have them. I would say thats only about five years away.

Bretmd94
11-14-2003, 12:46 PM
blah blah blah.

Im going with 86atc250r. The Yamaha is no more of a race bike than the TRX appears to be. They both are more race in some ways, but neither are full on race bikes out of the box.

Compare both to the Gas Gas 300 and 450. The Gas Gas actually has a wide stance stock, and also has a Chromoly Frame where the YFZ and TRX both still have the weak mild steel frames.

We can argue all day about which is more of a race quad, but after you put exhaust, extra motor work, wider A-arms, aftermarket shocks (because i dont care if they have dumb piggybacks I would rather have some Elka's) and different tires; Theres really not going to be much difference at all, and all the stock vs stock crap will mean NOTHING.

The two bikes are very evenly matched. So after all the after market stuff is put on for racing, Its going to end up being the rider that makes the difference.

And I like having kickstart only. So there. :blah:

MIA450R
11-18-2003, 05:49 PM
You/we *HOPE* the 2 are evenly matched.

No shootouts have been done yet, by the magazines or by your riding buddies. Only initial rides and speculations thusfar.

We wait...

hsr
11-18-2003, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Bretmd94
blah blah blah.

Im going with 86atc250r. The Yamaha is no more of a race bike than the TRX appears to be. They both are more race in some ways, but neither are full on race bikes out of the box.

Compare both to the Gas Gas 300 and 450. The Gas Gas actually has a wide stance stock, and also has a Chromoly Frame where the YFZ and TRX both still have the weak mild steel frames.

We can argue all day about which is more of a race quad, but after you put exhaust, extra motor work, wider A-arms, aftermarket shocks (because i dont care if they have dumb piggybacks I would rather have some Elka's) and different tires; Theres really not going to be much difference at all, and all the stock vs stock crap will mean NOTHING.

The two bikes are very evenly matched. So after all the after market stuff is put on for racing, Its going to end up being the rider that makes the difference.

And I like having kickstart only. So there. :blah:

yepper :)

rtyfz450
11-19-2003, 09:05 AM
I think you're mistaken & it will show when these two quads compete at the track ---- now it will not matter if you are on red or blue as it has in the past, you can win with either - isn't that the way it is with the bikes?

I also don't see your point with the GYTR stuff - unless you like paying more for something than it's worth, more options exist in the aftermarket.

As for Honda dominating in the past - that's true.... It's about time Yamaha stepped up to the plate. The good thing is, now that there's finally another "Real" player, everyone wins because of the competition. How much better is the YZ450 than the YZ400? Do you think all these changes would have come about if not for the CRF450R?

Do you think the YFZ would have come about if the meager 400EX didn't spank the Raptor in competition?

BTW, when was the last time you saw a YZ with an E-start? Smells like compromise to me.

When was the last time you saw a YZ with a restrictive forestry approved silencer & spark arrestor? Lights? Battery?

If the YFZ was built as more of a "closed course race quad" than the TRX why isn't it closer to 50" wide than the standard "sport quad" width?

It's been reported by several now that have actually ridden both that the TRX is at least as powerful as the YFZ - I'm having trouble seeing where you think compromises have been made (by Honda only) that will make the TRX non-competitive with the YFZ. Please enlighten me...

I'll agree that compromises have been made by *both* Yamaha and Honda that keep both these quads from attaining the true status of the "closed course" race bikes straight from the factory. However, they are both great platforms for building a "closed course" race quad.

You're looking thru the eyes of new bike euphoria & not seeing what's in front of you.

man there is not alot to agrue with there. 86atc250r is right. I have a problem with the butterfly carb only because I believe it was changed for cost effectiveness and maybe alittle for safety. The thing is the fcr doesn't need to have two cables to put it on the r. I only have one cable to mine and without torrs it works fine. However I highly doubt it will make or break the bike and you can always get the carb later. Honda had a different route than yamha in dealing with safety and there is nothing wrong with it.

the thing about the spark arrestor and lights and all that is the truth both companies need these things to sell quads. it is a issue witht the consumer safety counsel.

3rdtimescharm
11-19-2003, 09:36 AM
They could make them more race ready, but they wont. as far as being 50inches wide, i dont want that and many other trail riders wont like it either. They all put out what they need to, to make the sale. its all about the $$$$$ for them. and everyone need to chill for a while till your dealer has a new Honda in. then lets hear what you have to say.

86atc250r
11-19-2003, 01:58 PM
The thing is the fcr doesn't need to have two cables to put it on the r. I only have one cable to mine and without torrs it works fine.

I'll agree with that... I run a single cable on my FCR on my 400EX and have never had any trouble. However.....

When you purchase an FCR the documentation has in big, bold letters "USE ONLY WITH PUSH/PULL THROTTLE SYSTEMS". The liability factor is likely what Honda's corporate lawyers are looking at.

BadTRX450R
12-09-2003, 12:39 AM
we have a gas gas dealer about 3 blocks from my house. i was seriously looking at the wild 300. but parts are extremely expensive, but the gas gas quads are as reace ready as a peep could ask for. i ride mainly trails so i chose the honda for the narrower stance and the reliability i know is gonna be there, and ive rode red since i was 5yrs old. dont get me wrong ive owned other machines, but honda has always had the performance and reliability! thats why theyre #1. as for the YZF450 its a great quad but the seat kills, and there are a few probs that make me nervous (a-arms.water pump, startor issues) more than i wanna deal with :D

PS: i get my 450r in feb ... #10 on list, the longest wait of my life LOL :blah:

biohazard1.2
12-09-2003, 04:27 AM
Originally posted by MIA450R
Considering the problems with the Yamaha 450 electrics, and the added weight, I kinda doubt Honda will go that route...

But who knows.

Are you sure you know what you are talking about? I have had mine for a while now with heavy riding and have had NO PROBLEMS:
No Problems starting, racing and beating any other quad (stock) that I have come up against.

This is drag racing and short course racing in sand and some hard pack. All in FL.

Electrical Problems...weight? not likely.

putzld
12-09-2003, 07:45 AM
The elctrical charging problem with YFZ's has been well documented and even noted in some magazines. IT cost somebody a race, I cant remember who though.

86atc250r
12-09-2003, 08:19 AM
I have had mine for a while now with heavy riding and have had NO PROBLEMS:

One thing people have a tendency to either forget or not think about is that even if a particular model has a well documented problem, no everyone that owns that vehicle will have that problem.

Just because yours hasn't exhibited any problems doesn't mean none exist.

For instance - did everyone that owned a 2001 Raptor have a transmission go bad? No. But that was a VERY well documented problem with that model.

Likewise, if you had experienced a problem it doesn't necessarily mean there exists a widespread issue.

That said, there are a few YFZ issues I've seen already. Among them are sticking transmissions, weak lower control arms, and an alarming rate of twisted or broken swingarms.

The oldest YFZ's are less than 5 months old at this point. It will take far longer to tell if the YFZ is going to have any serious reliability issues - it's still practically a brand new model & many times, things that turn into serious issues and patterns of failure won't show up immediately.

joe1l
12-09-2003, 09:24 AM
I think all 4 strokes should come with an electric start.....after all they are all slow, so they should 1 advantage over the 2 strokes :eek2:

markeg192
12-09-2003, 09:38 AM
Originally posted by joe1l
I think all 4 strokes should come with an electric start.....after all they are all slow, so they should 1 advantage over the 2 strokes :eek2:

Now theres a fresh opinion. LOL

Hammer trx450r
12-09-2003, 02:02 PM
its like joe read my mind:huh

merrill
12-09-2003, 03:04 PM
want to see a broken swingarm, http://www.level3atvracing.com/EnterNewCaamxRider.htm

I have also had the problem with the sticking transmission, The electrical problem I have heard of has to do with removing the battery and then trying to run the lights. If you want lights, leave the battery on.
Every quad I have ever owned has had a broken swingarm(never this bad), so that doesn't bother me. I knew I needed an aftermarket one. The bike is very fast and light (only an HMF pipe and jetting). I am getting a new trx in jan, so I'll know first hand which is better(for me).
http://www.level3atvracing.com/EnterNewCaamxRider.htm