PDA

View Full Version : how do i get the bolt out that connects the swinger to the motor

Juggalo
10-23-2003, 05:09 PM
i am tryin to pull my motor and i can't get the swingarm pivot bolt out that connects to the back of the motor. does it just push out? i tried hammering it and it still didn't come out! is there a trick or is it just stuck? i'm trying to pull my motor out and the bushing on the pivot bolt is dead too so i need to get that out of there!

stupid driver
10-23-2003, 05:15 PM
first, jack the swingarm up so that there is no weight on the bolt joint. Next, take a rubber mallot, and tap the end of it. If it aint budgin, turn the bolt head a few times to try and loosen it up. When the bolt comes through far enough that you cant hit it w/ the mallet anymore, take a bolt of a smaller size and use that to reach the bolt.

Bill Fuller
10-23-2003, 05:27 PM
Ah the ol stuck pivot bolt....The best advice I can give is to use an air impact hammer with a blunt end and drive it out.Put a socket on the bolt and turn it first and tip the quad up on it's side and soak the bolt with a penetrating oil(WD-40).You will most likely destroy the bolt removing it just don't go and start beating it with a hammer or you will have to grind the end down when it mushrooms out to get it to go through the motor.If this don't work than weld a piece of all thread on the head side (side with no threads) about a 12in. piece then get a piece of pipe 1 1/2 diameter 10in. long and put it over the all thread (against the frame) next find a couple of strong washers or find a piece of metal and drill a hole in it so the all thread will pass through but will still sit on the pipe.Next get a nut and put it on the all thread and us this as a puller as your buddy taps on the threaded side of the pivot bolt.Again don't whack it use the puller to do the work unless you have a die grinder readily available.Now you know why it is recommended that you remove the swingarm and coat the pivot bolt every 6 months.Apply a thick coat of anti sieze on the pivot bolt every time you remove it.Now would also be a good time to replace the needle bearings in the swing arm.Hope this helps.

10-23-2003, 05:53 PM
Might have ta cut the mofo out like I did and many others..:(

mxracer111
10-23-2003, 06:39 PM
when this happens it is usually from the stock hollow bolts bending just a bit.... thats all it takes..... rust you could get to break loose easily and the bolt would come out with a few hard hits..... my experience with this definatly concludes that the bolts bend..... i always rund a solid stainless steel pivot bolt, which we have machined and sell on our website. dont bother replacing your with a stock bolt....it will just bend again.... make sure you get a solid stainless steel bolt.... we offer them and i know baldwin motorsports also offers a similar bolt! but they do still need to be greased up good once in a while

jmoney45
10-23-2003, 06:42 PM
Now I see what I have to look forward when I tear it down this winter. :cuss:

YLW400
10-23-2003, 06:46 PM
Yea, me too..I have neglected to never-seize it since i have had it.....I like many others wil find out the hard way:D

user101
10-23-2003, 07:11 PM
i tried everything. the best advice ican give u is to beat the crap out of it with a hammer. put the nut on the threaded part and just beat on it and turn it with a impact wrench.

lil400exman
10-23-2003, 08:23 PM
took a sawzall to mine and had it out in about 5 minutes and just replaced all the goods in there................make sure u keep it greased well and u wont have this problem!;)

Juggalo
10-23-2003, 10:49 PM
thanks for all the tips everybody. i'll try that stuff out tommarow and let ya know how it turns out!

10-24-2003, 06:36 AM
Originally posted by Juggalo
thanks for all the tips everybody. i'll try that stuff out tommarow and let ya know how it turns out!

The one suggestion i can make that is a must. Go ahead and order another bolt because you WILL ruin that bolt getting it out. Don't waste to much time beating on it.. Cut the POS out and be done with it. New bushing kit from pivot works is a good idea too.

wyndzer
10-24-2003, 06:41 AM
Use B F H and pray;)

MOFO
10-24-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by wyndzer
Use B F H and pray;)

thats gonna be my technique this winter... :(

Pappy
10-24-2003, 06:49 AM
on one of my 400ex's i had no choice but to cut the bolt. i took a saw-zall and cut right beside the frame and swingarm. then the engine came out and i was able to remove the remainder of the bolt. ive done several in this manner and its the fastest way if they are stuck. beating them with a hammer will tear the frame up. ive seen the frame crack and bend from using a BFH.

Pappy
10-24-2003, 06:52 AM
:)

Pappy
10-24-2003, 06:53 AM
the problem ive seen more times then not is that the sleeve rusts to the bolt. even after a week or more being soaked with PB blaster some of them just wont come out.

10-24-2003, 07:04 AM
I sprayed or should i say soaked mine down with PB blaster everyday before and after work and I also turned it to work anything loose. I did this for a week before attempting to beat it out. YOu destroy other things beating it out, just like Pappy said..

Juggalo are ya gettin skeeert yet...:eek2:

Pappy
10-24-2003, 07:08 AM
when it gets really really bad ....the swing arm can be trashed:eek:

10-24-2003, 07:13 AM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Pappy
10-24-2003, 07:14 AM
oh my:eek: not the plasma cutter:devil:

MOFO
10-24-2003, 07:28 AM
ok, my BMFH will not leave the toolbox. :o

10-24-2003, 07:31 AM
Last time I helped someone remove their pivot bolt we somehow ended up with this before the night was over...:huh

MOFO
10-24-2003, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Last time I helped someone remove their pivot bolt we somehow ended up with this before the night was over...:huh

almost looks like knighttimes alcohol injected 400EX we worked on a few years ago. :devil:

Doibugu2
10-24-2003, 08:34 AM
How many times does Rico have to tell you guys to grease that bolt? He was even nice enough to warn us at the begining of the year.

I'm glad I listed to you Rico, I actually took it out before I went to the Ironman to grease it again. Took longer to get the tools out of my tool box, then it did to get the bolt out!:devil:

Have fun guys!:eek:

Juggalo
10-24-2003, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Rico

Juggalo are ya gettin skeeert yet...:eek2:

i'm gettin real scared. i'm just about to go out there and try it, but i'm thinkin i'll just have to bust out the sawzall. i need a new bushing kit too because i think the bushing on the right is torn up, theres a ton of side to side play in my swingarm at that point and theres like little strips of plastic around the side. i'm hopin the swingarm is still ok.

Doibugu2
10-24-2003, 10:28 AM
cut that sucker out, get some new bearings, and you'll be good to go.

Take it apart and fix it so it is right.

Tommy 17
10-24-2003, 01:28 PM
i grease mine ever 3 months or so and it comes right out...

i use belray waterproof grease on mine and it is perfectly fine...

lil400exman
10-24-2003, 01:41 PM
i'm gettin real scared. i'm just about to go out there and try it, but i'm thinkin i'll just have to bust out the sawzall. i need a new bushing kit too because i think the bushing on the right is torn up, theres a ton of side to side play in my swingarm at that point and theres like little strips of plastic around the side. i'm hopin the swingarm is still ok.
dont buy pivot works. I used them and they were in abd shape in a few months. use oem!;)

10-24-2003, 02:18 PM
I tapped mine out with a rubber mallet, then when i couldnt reach it anymore, i took a 5 inch punch and hammered it the rest of the way. Came out just fine.:cool:

Juggalo
10-24-2003, 03:13 PM
well today i used a rubber mallet, no luck. used an aluminum hammer. still no luck. used a 3 lb sledge. sucker wouldn't budge. then i got out the 8 lb sledge and it still didn't move!! i didn't have a sawzall on hand today but i'm barrowin my friends tonite and hopefully i can cut that beast outta there.

hondafox440
10-24-2003, 03:40 PM
Where exactly do you cut it with the Sawzall? Between the swingarm and engine or cut the head off and hammer it through?

MOFO
10-24-2003, 04:58 PM
well today i used a rubber mallet

LMFAO, that was wishful thinking... :D

Chanman420q
10-25-2003, 11:50 AM
i think there saying between the swinger and the motor.... Right? if so can u re-use the swing arm? or would u have to buy a new one? i want to do a winter tear down but this is scaring me:o

hondarider2006
10-25-2003, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i want to do a winter tear down but this is scaring me:o

same here....hope it goes good for me!:eek:

Doibugu2
10-25-2003, 05:37 PM
Originally posted by Chanman420q
i think there saying between the swinger and the motor.... Right? if so can u re-use the swing arm? or would u have to buy a new one? i want to do a winter tear down but this is scaring me:o

There is a gap of about 2 inches where the swinger attaches to the frame. That is where you cut. So your not cutting the swingarm, just the bolt.

If you only bought your quad last year and your taking it apart this year, you have a pretty good chance that it is still okay. If it is older than 2 years then, you better start praying.:D

pnut420
10-25-2003, 06:23 PM
If anyone has this problem and you know it is not coming out, just go ahead and bust out the plasma cutter or sawzall, I used a sawzall and it cut it like butter. And yeah it is the gap between the motor and the swingarm, I also used a easy out on the bolt and tried to yurn it out first, then I cut the bolt and two and then spun the bolt out, the other side I just used a punch to get that bolt out the rest of the way, dont sweat it and dont waste to much time, you will need a new bolt and bushings is it is froze anyway. :p

Live2Ride300
10-26-2003, 07:10 AM
Try turning it with an impact gun, then get out the air chisel or air hammer, and heat it up with some map gas. If that fails then

pnut420-
If anyone has this problem and you know it is not coming out, just go ahead and bust out the plasma cutter or sawzall, I used a sawzall and it cut it like butter. And yeah it is the gap between the motor and the swingarm, I also used a easy out on the bolt and tried to yurn it out first, then I cut the bolt and two and then spun the bolt out, the other side I just used a punch to get that bolt out the rest of the way, dont sweat it and dont waste to much time, you will need a new bolt and bushings is it is froze anyway.

Juggalo
10-26-2003, 02:47 PM
welp got the sawzall out today, but a carbide blade on that sucker, and it would not cut it!! it barley made a scratch on the bushing! so i dunno what now. my dad wants to thread the bolt and pull it out with a puller but i dunno how well thats gonna work because the bolts definatley bent and i couldn't get that sucker moved with the BFH either. so i guess i will have to try a few more of the ideas. but no luck so far!

Live2Ride300
10-26-2003, 04:00 PM
Plasma cutter:devil:

Crawl69
10-27-2003, 12:58 PM
I think I might have to go to church on sunday, cause the guy I bought mine off of never took it out, so I know I'm screwed.

HondaRacing23
06-13-2005, 09:20 PM
I got my swing arm bolt out byt cutting the arm in half like a few of them pics. the arm is junk and in the $hit can now. But the other half of the bolt that i cutt it still stuck in the motor. i have soaked it in castle thurst pent. oil few two days now and it wont come out. I dont want to heat it up to hot let along hit it with a hammer to hard and crack the motor. has anyone else had this or seen this problem? if yuo have what did you do.??? need help. the motor is off because im getting my frame POWDER coated so thats kinda a plus i guess. NEED HELP. THANKS:confused: :confused: :( :( :( :(

duke416ex
06-14-2005, 02:45 PM
Holy crap you cut your swinger to get the bolt out:eek2: :eek2: A little extreme for me. Juggalo, I tried cutting on mine and it didn't get through the bushing either. Not all of us have the luxury of a plasma cutter, but if you have acetolene torches you can get it out. The torches will cut through the bushing no prob, and even though they won't cut aluminum, the bolt is not a heavy grade and the heat from the torch melted right through mine no prob. After that I was able to get everything else out. Just watch where you point the torch not to over heat any gaskets or rubber seals. Good luck.

FoxRacing81
06-14-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by duke416ex
Holy crap you cut your swinger to get the bolt out:eek2: :eek2: A little extreme for me. Juggalo, I tried cutting on mine and it didn't get through the bushing either. Not all of us have the luxury of a plasma cutter, but if you have acetolene torches you can get it out. The torches will cut through the bushing no prob, and even though they won't cut aluminum, the bolt is not a heavy grade and the heat from the torch melted right through mine no prob. After that I was able to get everything else out. Just watch where you point the torch not to over heat any gaskets or rubber seals. Good luck.

Haha...good advice...but this thread is about 2 years old!

Juggalo
06-14-2005, 11:03 PM
yeah i ended up having to use a cutting torch to get mine out. it was a pain in the *** for sure. i have a billet stainless bolt now so hopefully that wont happen next time.

duke416ex
06-15-2005, 07:18 AM
doh!!!:ermm: I didn't look at the dates stupid me:scary:

HondaRacing23
06-15-2005, 07:09 PM
I GOT IT OUT PRETTY EASY THEY WAY WE DID IT AT WORK...