PDA

View Full Version : bigger oil coolers for 400ex????

Adams44
02-06-2002, 08:52 PM
Anyone know of bigger oil coolers for 400ex???? I have had a 426 fairly modified for one race season and I really need to get rid of some heat. I would like to find a bigger oil cooler that ideally would bolt up to the 400ex. I don't know if I would be that lucky.
I will be running OMF scoops this year, but would like to run a bigger cooler.

Has anyone done this yet??

Thanks

beerock
02-06-2002, 09:00 PM
my friend has it done to his, it is possible. someone in here has got to have it done.

like chef

or hot440

Chef
02-06-2002, 09:48 PM
I dont have the bigger cooler, but I do have the pingry's oversize tank. Its $275, but it helps quite a bit. Dont know if you have it already, but heres a pic of it on the quad,

Moto92
02-06-2002, 10:20 PM
Check out http://www.fourstroketech.com
Click on new products for the 400EX Cool kit. Its not a bigger oil cooler but a second one. It sounds like a steal at only $115 with engine temps 50 degrees cooler.
I would like to know if anyone has installed one of these yet and what they think of it, because I want one.

02-06-2002, 11:06 PM
Hott440

do the really close exhaust pipes heat up the tank at all?????

Adams44
02-07-2002, 07:10 AM
Thanks for your help.

I checked out fourstroke tech's oil cooler and emailed him with some questions about it.

The tank for $275 lowers the oil 12 degrees and adds one quart capacity, which is nice - but so is the rediculous price.

The second oil cooler claims to lower the oil 50+ degrees and is $115, with a few concerns, which I will post after he answers them (I don't want to say something false).

Chef

Do you run a stabilizer? Does the tank interfere with your stablizer motion?

Adams44
02-07-2002, 07:12 AM
CHEF

P.S. How in the h$@l do you keep your motor fins that clean!!??

SporTrax400
02-07-2002, 08:52 AM
will the motor be able to pump the oil through the cooler fast enough?
Greg

beerock
02-07-2002, 09:46 AM
oops, thats what I meant chef. a oversize tank.

sorry......

SporTrax400 theres no need for the pump to pump the oil through faster.
the oversize tank takes more oil (a quart more) which gives the oil more time to cool before being recirculated.

You may think its a rediculous price, but that extra quart also makes the oil last longer and that helps alot more than you know. alot of oils break down after a certain amount of hours on it. That oil tank gives it longer life, THUS giving your engine longer life.

I think the extra cooler would be a plus, along with the pingry's oversize tank.
both of them in combination should give a hp increase that you will notice after pro longed rides.

Matt Fisher
02-07-2002, 09:56 AM
Actually, an oversize tank will keep the temps down for a longer period of time than the stocker. But, eventually the temp will rise to near the original level. It will be slightly lower due to the tank being a larger heat sink.

A larger oil cooler however, will actually keep the temp down on a long-term basis.

If anyone has info on the Mickey Dunlap setup, please post it. I'd really like to understand where/how the inlet and outlets are setup.

SporTrax400
02-07-2002, 01:34 PM
Hey Beerock I am talking about putting that bigger oil cooler on, not the oversized oil tank. I would think you would need a bigger oil pump to move all that oil through the oil cooler, but maybe not, just a thought.

Greg

Chef
02-07-2002, 11:16 PM
lol, everyone is calling me chef now..

The pipes arent as close as they look, its just the angle. There is probably 2 and a half to 3 inches between the tank and pipes. I dont think it heats up the tank, but I've never stuck my hand in there to find out, either. I will try that..lol

I dont quite know what you mean by stabilizer, but if you are talking about the TT/Flat Track swaybar, no I dont run one. But I plan on it soon, because I plan on racing some circle track. I will let you know what I find out.

About the motor fins, I pretty much just dont get it muddy...and only ride in the sand. (Actually, those pics were taken the day after I got the motor back and got it put together, so I think they must do something that makes it clean.) They are still that clean to this day, though!

Braff1
02-09-2002, 05:03 AM
I e-mailed Mickey Dunlap about the connections, how, where, and why. The connections starts in the right side clutch cover. This is where the oil gets the hottest. From here the oil goes to the cooler and returns to the head cover above the cam journal, bathing the cam with cool oil. He says all you need to do is drill and tap the holes in the covers or if you send them to him he will do it for 20$. The cooler mounts behind the front frame, next to the shock mounts and includes a gaurd for the cooler.

Matt Fisher
02-09-2002, 08:08 AM
I'll have to take mine apart to fully understand it. I'd guess he taps into an oil galley at the clutch, since it needs to be under pressure in order to flow through the cooler. Which raises the question- where was that galley going to? Really don't want to tap into it if it's heading to some bearings.