PDA

View Full Version : 450es shift problem

jsjs97
10-22-2003, 08:10 PM
I have a problem with a 2001 450 es. It will not shift, it starts fine and will shift with the manual shifter but the electronic shifter will do nothing. Any ideas. I have checked the fuses, have turned key on and off repeatedly and have disconnected the battery. It happened the evenig after it had been ridden in a shallow pond. Started it and loaded it on the trailer and it was fine, but the next day when we went to unload it, it started fine but no luck shifting.(and it was not in gear on the trailer i have heard that will screw them up) Any suggestions would be appreciated.

yzrider04
10-22-2003, 08:44 PM
My rancher did that before and my dad fixed it somehow.........i dont know how

F-16Guy
10-24-2003, 06:48 PM
Take it to the dealer. My Dad's 450es did the same thing, it had something to do with a sensor out of adjustment. It's a quick fix if you take it in. BTW, did your gear indicator on the display start flashing when you got stuck in gear? You may have gotten the solenoid wet, but you'd think everything would be water tight.

BlazingYamahaYz
10-25-2003, 10:07 AM
my friend has the same exact problem, he has a 2002 rancher ES full time 4x4....and after ridding in the river, it has trouble shifting, and you can NOT shut it off in gear, otherwise you have to use the manual shifter and a ratchet to get it back into neutral...it is the sensor, you should take it to the dealer or fix it yourself, but its like the gear position sensor, and if it gets wet, it gets all screwed up.....

Woody_YFZ
10-27-2003, 11:53 PM
My cousins 450ES has the same problem, but all he has to do is turn the key off and it usually works again. It just happens spuratically.

F-16Guy
10-28-2003, 02:22 PM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
My cousins 450ES has the same problem, but all he has to do is turn the key off and it usually works again. It just happens spuratically.
That's what my Dad's Foreman would do. In fifth, the gear indicator would start blinking and it would stop shifting. Once he turned the key off for a few minutes and back on, it would work fine. I think it turned out to be the gear position sensor.

jsjs97
10-30-2003, 05:30 PM
Turned out to be moisture in the shift motor itself. We just took the motor off cleaned up the brushes and all was good. Thanks for the sugestions.