PDA

View Full Version : clutch lifter?

exatak199
10-22-2003, 03:01 PM
any one have problems with this? it's #10 on the chart.
http://servicehonda.com/hard%20parts/atv/trx400ex/clutch.jpg

10-22-2003, 08:37 PM
hell yah man...i just ordered my new pin & gaskets for $25.00 shipped from C&D racing...the clutch is so loose now that i have to use spacers for it to work...whats wrong with yours & how did it happen? they said it was a common problem with 400ex's

Wingnut
10-22-2003, 08:48 PM
I've had one break before. Easy fix considering how much it scared me.:p

10-23-2003, 05:18 AM
what all will i have to do? is the only new part that i need to fix this #10 & the new gasket?

UglyMotha™
10-23-2003, 07:42 AM
it's cake all you gotta do is pull the side cover then take your pressure plate out (unbolt the 5 bolts with springs) swap out the old pin with the new one torque the 5 bolts back down the there right specs and reinstall side cover with new gasket and you done bout a 30min job

10-23-2003, 07:53 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
it's cake all you gotta do is pull the side cover then take your pressure plate out (unbolt the 5 bolts with springs) swap out the old pin with the new one torque the 5 bolts back down the there right specs and reinstall side cover with new gasket and you done bout a 30min job

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/i'm%20with%20stupid.gif

Wingnut
10-23-2003, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™

Be sure to drain the oil first, it makes the job a lot cleaner.:p

Crazy400exman, I don't see how the lifter pin would have just worn out to where you need spacers, there is a bearing between it and the pressure plate. Make sure your clutch cable is adjusted right at the lever and the engine ends. A lot of people don't realize that it can be adjusted at the engine. Move the nuts back toward the rear of the 400 to take out any slack.

10-23-2003, 11:54 AM
yah...iv'e messed with both of them now & it wont work....it has no come to a point where i have to use spacers & those barely even work now :( is this piece broken? will there be a loose part inside the clutch i should look for?

Wingnut
10-23-2003, 12:59 PM
If it was broken then the clutch wouldn't disengage at all. They are hardened steel and will just break instead of warping or streatching. If it is broken the broken piece will be between the shaft and side cover. Also, make sure the holes in the clutch lever and perch aren't enlarged and throwing off the leverage.

10-23-2003, 01:45 PM
well it does the same thing with my stock clutch & my ez pull so i am thinking its the lifter pin...also, when you said it would break did you mean bend? it makes no sense

Wingnut
10-23-2003, 02:46 PM
The flat disk on the end of the lifter pin will break off. When that happens there is nothing for the shaft (the one mounted to the inside of clutch cover) to grab and the clutch won't work at all. I can't under stand why the clutch would come so far out of adjustment like your's has. The only thing I can think of that would be the problem is the clutch plates have worn out that bad, but it would be slipping if that was the case.

H_W
10-23-2003, 02:47 PM
I had to replace my clutch lifter pin about a year ago. The round piece on the end will break off. I don't think it will bend. It is very simple to fix, like was stated earlier.

10-23-2003, 07:30 PM
so you think its my pin by the symptoms i gave you? i hope its not my plates....i guess il find out soon enough when my ne wpin comes in & I go inside to change it.

desertsandrider
10-23-2003, 09:01 PM
mine "snapped" about a year ago...when i was 30 miles from anywhere...but like everyone said...easy fix............and that piece will break with a snap.....no stretching

10-24-2003, 05:17 AM
so when yours snapped you were never able to rig something up to work untill your new pin came in? my clutch still works great, the cable is just really loose & I has to use spacers at the adjustment spot up by the handlebars.

H_W
10-24-2003, 02:09 PM
If your clutch lifter pin is broke, the clutch will not disengage. This means it will not work. The lifter pin is what pulls the plates apart when the cable is pulled.

10-24-2003, 03:51 PM
so you think my plates are worn? what do you think is the problem? the cable is brand new & it is the right one.

UglyMotha™
10-24-2003, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Crazy400exMan
so you think my plates are worn? what do you think is the problem? the cable is brand new & it is the right one.

you need to just replace the clutch boss, pressure plate, fibers and steels, and you'll be fine again and the basket if it shows excessive wear your lifter pin is fine, i just worked on a yz125 that had the exact same problem i ended up just double stacking two sets of steel plate to take up the extra slop, its just a temporary fix though

10-24-2003, 04:40 PM
jesus christ this is bad...i have no mechanical knowledge & I was hoping it was just my clutch lifter pin....when the cable is loose my thing will go all the way back & forth...does that mean anything?...it didnt do that when the clutch was working good. also, this thing was just like this one time, it didnt gradually go to being like this & it isnt getting any worse.

exatak199
10-24-2003, 05:30 PM
when my lifter the little headof it broke off and it all most whent in to the gear box but a easy fix and not bad for a $12.50canadian. and a month later my clutch cabel whent and to day ( know isnt the right fourm) my lower A-arm mount broke and the frame is cracked above the upper front shock mount but with a little welding I should bee rideing tomarrow:blah:

10-30-2003, 01:04 PM
well i have the new pin & the gasket so should I start to work or not? should I buy the whole new clutch?

Kawboyz beware
10-30-2003, 07:55 PM
my friend broke one on his 2000 400ex when it was only like a month after the release of the 2000. When he Ordered one the Guy at Cycle Design in Mass said he was the first one to order that part from Honda.

10-30-2003, 08:36 PM
what were they symptoms when it breaks?