PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuilt time... Info needed.

daiglea
10-22-2003, 07:05 AM
I want to rebuilt my engine to be as performant and reliable as possible. What would i need. I am thinking of going to a 416. I can get the wiesco 416 piston kit. harden rockers, tatanium springs, new gasket kit, new clutch and springs, valve seals. What else am i missing. What kind of cam and cam chains are the best.

slosh13
10-22-2003, 07:31 AM
It all depends on how much your willing to spend and how fast you wanna go. I race MX so i based my motor on the type of riding i do. My personal mods are Wiseco 11:1 piston, Ported/polished, bored cylinder to a 416, Hotcam Stage 2 cam, steel flex gaskets, and i believe thats it. With a drop in cam, you will not need to hang hardened rockers and springs. Unless you want to go for a cam that needs them then go for it.:) But i found out that the best bang for your buck drop-in cam is the Hotcam stage2. You just cant beat the price or the performance. I am using my stock cam chain. I feel it is personally the strongest you can get and buying an aftermarket one doesnt differ that much. There are post on here about the CRF450 dirt bike cam chain fitting on the 400ex, but im not familiar with that setup so i cant tell you if it works any different. I hope that gives you some indication on where to go from here and remember keep them WHEELZ UP!!!:devil:

slosh13
10-22-2003, 07:32 AM
It all depends on how much your willing to spend and how fast you wanna go. I race MX so i based my motor on the type of riding i do. My personal mods are Wiseco 11:1 piston, Ported/polished, bored cylinder to a 416, Hotcam Stage 2 cam, steel flex gaskets, and i believe thats it and it cost me around $400. With a drop in cam, you will not need to have hardened rockers and springs. Unless you want to go for a cam that needs them then go for it.:) But i found out that the best bang for your buck drop-in cam is the Hotcam stage2. You just cant beat the price or the performance. I am using my stock cam chain. I feel it is personally the strongest you can get and buying an aftermarket one doesnt differ that much. There are posts on here about the CRF450 dirt bike cam chain fitting on the 400ex, but im not familiar with that setup so i cant tell you if it works any different. I hope that gives you some indication on where to go from here and remember keep them WHEELZ UP!!!:devil:

slosh13
10-22-2003, 07:33 AM
sorry for the first post i had some spelling errors and i wanted to fix them but instead i guess i just sbmitted my reply again:rolleyes: sorry bout that.

skemp
10-22-2003, 07:27 PM
I wouldn't get a Wiseco piston. Go for a Ross or JE piston. The CRF450 cam chain will fit in your motor. I ate through 3 stock cam chains on my built 416 before getting fed up and trying the CRF chain. Not only is it stronger than the 400ex chain, but it is also half the price! Go for a TC Racing MX or XC cam or a Hotcams stage 1 or stage 2 cam depending on your riding style/environment.

speedy
10-23-2003, 02:49 PM
How do u port and polish the head like you had done??

Steve-o 400EX
10-23-2003, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by skemp
I wouldn't get a Wiseco piston. Go for a Ross or JE piston. The CRF450 cam chain will fit in your motor. I ate through 3 stock cam chains on my built 416 before getting fed up and trying the CRF chain. Not only is it stronger than the 400ex chain, but it is also half the price! Go for a TC Racing MX or XC cam or a Hotcams stage 1 or stage 2 cam depending on your riding style/environment.

I agree. Go withe the ross or JE piston, I have a JE and it gives great power. They are also lighter and rev a little quicker. Mine has killer power all the way through the powerband. I also recommend a hotcams stage 2. This is the best all around cam and you dont need to get hard faced rockers with it.