PDA

View Full Version : Rebuild done, don't have the guts to fire it up

StreetLegalEX
10-22-2003, 01:40 AM
Well, my concern being the Camshaft and timing....

I made some digital pictures of how everything was when I tore it all apart, and I restored it in just the same way.

When I turn the engine over, It seems to be moving ok, building compression etc.
Can I ruin anything if my timing is off?
How do I check if my timing is correct?

Some pictures of how I removed/installed everything:

http://www.users.skynet.be/quadracer/images/nokkenas.JPG

Note, I DID allign the 2 horizontal lines of the sprocket with the head, but I made this pic to view the position of the chain (the white marking on it) related to the sprocket, to be able to redo this.

http://www.users.skynet.be/quadracer/images/tandwiel.JPG

slosh13
10-22-2003, 07:48 AM
well going by your second photo your timing is indeed off. There are three marks on the cam sprocket and they need to line up accordingly. There will be three marks on the sprocket. Make sure that the top mark is straight up vertical and the other two lines on either side of the vertical line must be horizontal to each other. What im trying to say is the top mark up and down and the two other ones sideways.

And to check it on your left side of your crankcase there will be two holes. The top one is where to indicate the T-MARK and the second bigger opening is where you turn it. Take your cam sprocket and make sure that the marks are lined up as above. Then you take a 17 or 18mm socket and insert it into the bigger hole in the crankcase. Turn COUNTER-CLOCKWISE until you see the t-mark. If your cam sprockt marks are aligned when you reach the tmark then youve completed the timing. It may seem more difficult than it actually is but its really not. It you own a manual it will help you very much. I dont think i forgot anything but if i did plz anyone else dont be afraid to add. Hope this helps.:)

StreetLegalEX
10-22-2003, 09:33 AM
Ok thanks, but what I don't get, I took these pics BEFORE I tore it apart....and it always ran fine....
Maybe I wasn't on TDC when I tore it apart?

And I reinstalled things in the exact same way...

So what U are saying is, I should actually flip my sprocket.(so 2 horizontal markings are level with head and the third one pointing up) Should the cam lobes face be facing down? (there are actually two pairs of lobes, which ones should point down, 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th?)

Thanks for all the help. I do have a manual but I am confused because when I tore it together I found the OUT marking to be up as you can see in the pics.

MIKE400EX
10-22-2003, 10:45 AM
That factory white paint blotch on the chain means nothing. The number of teeth on either sprocket does not divide into the number of chain links evenly, so if you keep rotating the crank, the paint blotch will "move" in relation to a given tooth or timing mark (lessens the timing set wear). Just set the flywheel at TDC, point the cam lobes approx. down, and align the horizontal marks on the cam sprocket so that they are parallel to the cover gasket surface with the other cam sprocket mark pointing upwards. If the marks don't line up perfectly (ideal conditions), then chances are the total jug height may have been changed (decked, different/no base gasket etc..) or the chain has stretched. A shorter jug height or stretched chain will retard the cam, ie.. the sprocket alignment marks will be closer to 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock than 9 and 3. Conversly a taller jug height will advance the cam, so the marks will approach 10 & 4 o'clock. If they're not close enough for you're liking, put the cam chain tensioner in and check them again - that's the way a running engine sees it. You can always slot the cam sprocket bolt holes to gain some adjustability if you want everything "dead nuts".

wilkin250r
10-22-2003, 12:19 PM
To answer your first question, yes, you can screw up all kinds of things if your timing is off. If your valves open at the wrong time (like when your piston is traveling upwards) then your piston could stike your valves, ruining both...

slosh13
10-22-2003, 12:20 PM
That factory white paint blotch on the chain means nothing. The number of teeth on either sprocket does not divide into the number of chain links evenly, so if you keep rotating the crank, the paint blotch will "move" in relation to a given tooth or timing mark (lessens the timing set wear). Just set the flywheel at TDC, point the cam lobes approx. down, and align the horizontal marks on the cam sprocket so that they are parallel to the cover gasket surface with the other cam sprocket mark pointing upwards. If the marks don't line up perfectly (ideal conditions), then chances are the total jug height may have been changed (decked, different/no base gasket etc..) or the chain has stretched. A shorter jug height or stretched chain will retard the cam, ie.. the sprocket alignment marks will be closer to 8 o'clock and 2 o'clock than 9 and 3. Conversly a taller jug height will advance the cam, so the marks will approach 10 & 4 o'clock. If they're not close enough for you're liking, put the cam chain tensioner in and check them again - that's the way a running engine sees it. You can always slot the cam sprocket bolt holes to gain some adjustability if you want everything "dead nuts".

ya wut he said :D

knighttime
10-22-2003, 12:25 PM
it looks like you know what your doin for the most part, but why not spend and extra $50 and get the service manual from helminc.com. that way you'll know for sure what your doing.:eek2:

slosh13
10-22-2003, 12:47 PM
Its definately worth the $50-$60 for the Honda manual. Its saved me many a times.:eek2:

SERVICE HONDA:)

TRX400EX '99-'00 61HN101 1 week 40.00
TRX400EX '99-'03 61HN104 1 week 40.00

10-22-2003, 12:51 PM
$6 on ebay ;)

slosh13
10-22-2003, 01:08 PM
haha forgot that.... good call;)

400exride.red
10-22-2003, 10:06 PM
i used a clmers manual and found it very helpful was around $20 at my honda dealer. also not sure if it makes a diff or not but i would re check w tensioner installed just couse im paranoid myself good luck

StreetLegalEX
10-23-2003, 02:59 AM
Thanks for all answers, it's really helpfull.

I have a Clymer manual, but since this is my first time I want to be certain I am doing it right, and the manual goes by all of this pretty fast without going into much detail.

StreetLegalEX
10-23-2003, 12:30 PM
Well, I'm proud to say that it fired up on the first touch of the button!

I had the timing right all along, it was just that it was on exhaust/intake stroke.

Thanks for all the help!