PDA

View Full Version : would a leakin valve head gasket cause ...

speedy
10-21-2003, 09:47 PM
i have a valve head gasket leaking and i was needing to know if this could cause me to loose power on top end ??

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-22-2003, 03:14 AM
Do you mean head gasket or valve cover gasket?

stupid driver
10-22-2003, 06:05 AM
if its the head gasket, it is gonna eventually blow, and your not gonna have any compression, so it wont even run. If its the valve seals, your bikes gonna be eatin a lotta oil. i would get it fixed it i was you.

StreetLegalEX
10-22-2003, 06:13 AM
If it's only the valve head gasket that is leaking then that wouldn't make you lose power.

If your Head Gasket is leaking, that would certainly make you lose compression and power. You can see it's leaking when you blip the throttle in neutral (you should see a puff coming out of the engine) or when under full load. (krtsj krtsj sound)
At least that's what happened to me.

You shouldn't keep running it with a bad gasket like I did, cause it will make your head/cilinder twist.

From what I've heard leaking valvehead gasket isn't a huge problem, just some oil leaking (make sure you check your oil level!!) but get it fixed anyway.

slosh13
10-22-2003, 08:00 AM
dont run this risk of hutrting your motor anymore than need be. I recommend getting it fixed.
new stock 400ex head gasket from service honda
12251-HN1-003 $17.05
new stock 400ex valve cover gasket from service honda
12391-KCY-671 $20.95

:)

StreetLegalEX
10-24-2003, 10:09 AM
Have the same prob, this is the second time I put a new gasket, and it still leaks....maybe the headvalve cover has bent or something like that.
Gonna try liquid-gasket later.

L.Vegas400
10-24-2003, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by StreetLegalEX
personally i would stick with a gasket only. the valve cover is part of what holds your cam in place, the bottom of the cover is the top part of the cam journal. the specs of the gasket are so it doesnt get too tight or too loose around the cam.

StreetLegalEX
10-24-2003, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by StreetLegalEX
Have the same prob, this is the second time I put a new gasket, and it still leaks....maybe the headvalve cover has bent or something like that.

Ok, that's true.
But it's between that or forever leaking oil...