PDA

View Full Version : she's aliiiive...

Glamis400ex
10-21-2003, 08:14 PM
Ok, just fired up the newly rebuilt 416. I didn't let it idle to long...like 30 seconds, but I noticed immediately that the head pipe was smoking, like it had some oil or water that was evaporating as it got hotter. Is this from the fact that I have a fresh bore with no time on it and the extra friction in the cylinder is causing extra heat. Smelled a little like oil too.

BTW, seemed to sound pretty healthy, was just curious about the steam coming of the pipe.

Glamis

L.Vegas400
10-21-2003, 09:33 PM
maybe you dripped a bit on it or there was some on your hands when you assembled it. mine also sounded like a tuba instead of a trumpet. congrats.:macho

Bad Habit
10-21-2003, 09:47 PM
Ya, mine smoked quite a bit also when I fired mine up for the first time. Talk about making you pucker.:eek: I'm sure it's just all the oil residue and what not that's on everything.

One tip, I put a big fan infront of my bike when I broke the cam in. That sucker was getting hot with no air moving around the motor setting in the garage.

Glamis400ex
10-21-2003, 10:12 PM
Well, this is my second rebuild on the 400ex. I did the 416 a little bit ago, but noticed what I believed to be oil mixed with copper sealant from the head gasket....long story.

Anyhow, I freaked a little bit and did not want to wonder every time I went riding if THIS was going to be the day I blew a head gasket, so I had FDO Racing do the HD head studs for me. (that's a whole 'nother story by itself)

The cam was already broke in, but noticed that when I put it back together the first time I had used RTV, not a base gasket because I ruined it installing it. :eek: The cam oil passage that starts at the cylinder base and runs up the side of the cylinder was about 40% blocked by the RTV, so I'm glad, in a sense, the head leaked becase I noticed the cam was starving for oil. Slight marks on the cam journals. Coulda been alot worse

But, I now have the Jegs secondary oil cooler. I made sure that when I was about to fire it up, I dumped about 5 oz. of oil right in the head cover hole cap and filled the stainless lines of the Jegs braided lines with 8 oz too, just to be safe. All in all, it took about 2 and 1/2 quarts. That may change as I actually go out and ride it, I'll keep a close eye on it.

The maiden voyage will be Halloween:) ....wish me luck....I'm praying I did it right...

Glamis

Red00Honda400EX
10-21-2003, 10:33 PM
Mine did that after my first rebuild. Touching things with just your hands will make them like that. The natural grease of your hands combined with the oil from the rebuild will make it smoke rather badly. Mine also turned bright hot red and I was running rich throughout the whole RPM range.

RIDER11X
10-21-2003, 10:39 PM
Originally posted by Red00Honda400EX
Mine did that after my first rebuild. Touching things with just your hands will make them like that. The natural grease of your hands combined with the oil from the rebuild will make it smoke rather badly. Mine also turned bright hot red and I was running rich throughout the whole RPM range.

Those syptoms are usually a sign of a lean condition.:huh

Dune Surfer
10-21-2003, 11:13 PM
Congrats dude:D Good job on getting it back together. Now I'm down after a crash with a rail.:( I won't be ready for halloween) ##@!&&^% Axle, hub, wheel, handle bars ect..

Glamis400ex
10-22-2003, 06:07 AM
That's a bummer Tony...:( I was kinda hoping you could meet some of my family where we ride ...on the other side.

How in the heck did you hit a rail??? or did it hit you?!?

sorry to hear.

Glamis

Silverfox@C&DRacing
10-22-2003, 09:05 AM
Glad to see it running, I may need to be corrected by I am sure that you can't have a lean condition at idle. My bike was the same way after my rebuild.

Dune surfer sorry to hear about the run in with the rail. I am sure that did not feel too good. :(

MIKE400EX
10-22-2003, 10:53 AM
Amazing how much smoke a little oil film will produce! Good job!!!!
Now go ride it around the house for a while to break it in - before you go beat the daylights out of it at the dunes. :macho

RIDER11X
10-22-2003, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Silverfox@C&DRacing
I may need to be corrected by I am sure that you can't have a lean condition at idle. My bike was the same way after my rebuild.
:(

It would be possible to have a lean condition at any part of your throttle range, with idle being affected by your pilot jet. However, this may be a common thing for some reason after a rebuild.

The smoke was most likely assembly lube burning off which is normal. A fresh motor should have a film of assembly oil all through it when assembled and whatever is not needed will burn off quickly. Cheap insurance. ;)

knighttime
10-22-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Yellow416ex
One tip, I put a big fan infront of my bike when I broke the cam in. That sucker was getting hot with no air moving around the motor setting in the garage.

thats really not a good tip at all. Although it must have been ok for you, a cam should NOT be broken in at idle. It should be broken it while running at low to mid rpms without straining the engine.:blah:

Bad Habit
10-22-2003, 12:46 PM
Originally posted by knighttime
thats really not a good tip at all. Although it must have been ok for you, a cam should NOT be broken in at idle. It should be broken it while running at low to mid rpms without straining the engine.:blah:

I never said it was at idle. It was held around 2500 rpms (actually varried the engine speed periodically) for about 15 min. I wouln't have put a fan infront of it or worried about overheating if it was just idling. So:blah: back at ya.

:D

knighttime
10-22-2003, 01:58 PM
Originally posted by Yellow416ex
I never said it was at idle. It was held around 2500 rpms (actually varried the engine speed periodically) for about 15 min. I wouln't have put a fan infront of it or worried about overheating if it was just idling. So:blah: back at ya.

:D

:eek2:

Colby@C&DRacing
10-22-2003, 02:23 PM
Originally posted by RIDER11X
It would be possible to have a lean condition at any part of your throttle range, with idle being affected by your pilot jet. However, this may be a common thing for some reason after a rebuild.

The smoke was most likely assembly lube burning off which is normal. A fresh motor should have a film of assembly oil all through it when assembled and whatever is not needed will burn off quickly. Cheap insurance. ;)

What silverfox was getting at was that glamis's bike ran fine he only took the top end apart to change head studs and put in a new head gasket. So he already has rejetted and did not disturb the carb.

Yes being lean happens alot right after a rebuild but not in this case because it was not the first startup of a fresh motor

exatak199
10-22-2003, 02:57 PM
it not broken in yet so it wil take time for the rings to set. all rebilds will burn a little oil at first as long as it stops after it broken in.

Dune Surfer
10-22-2003, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
That's a bummer Tony...:( I was kinda hoping you could meet some of my family where we ride ...on the other side.

How in the heck did you hit a rail??? or did it hit you?!?

sorry to hear.

Glamis

I might be able to make it. I am ordering parts tommorrow. If they get here in time were on:D
The rail and I were going head on hauling arse, he started to turn left then changed his mind and lost control and spun out. We were both going balls out and when he spun out his rear end swung around and nailed me. I was wide open in 5th when we hit:( I had to eject going 50-60 mph and dive over the back of his rail. Pretty crazy. The quad and rail hit so hard he and the guy I was riding with thought I was dead. I live a charmed life. Not a scratch:D

Glamis400ex
10-22-2003, 06:32 PM
holy $hit, that's nuts.

For those of you that don't know Tony (Dune Surfer), For a guy his age, NOBODY goes harder or more aggro than Tony. I've ridden with him, believe me.

Not that your old dude, but your'e not exactly a spring chicken either...:D

Glamis

mopar 400
10-22-2003, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
holy $hit, that's nuts.

For those of you that don't know Tony (Dune Surfer), For a guy his age, NOBODY goes harder or more aggro than Tony. I've ridden with him, believe me.

Not that your old dude, but your'e not exactly a spring chicken either...:D

Glamis TONY, knows only one speed. FAST.....: Great guy to throw the hammer down with. A lot fun to ride with... Hell where about the same age.. :macho

RIDER11X
10-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
What silverfox was getting at was that glamis's bike ran fine he only took the top end apart to change head studs and put in a new head gasket. So he already has rejetted and did not disturb the carb.

Yes being lean happens alot right after a rebuild but not in this case because it was not the first startup of a fresh motor :eek: Oooohhhh, I see. :o

Dune Surfer
10-22-2003, 11:16 PM
Gotta ride hard now, before I'm to old for my right thumb not to work anymore. LMAO. I like to ride fast but not beyond my comfort level.:D And come on Guys I'm not that old.;)

Dune Surfer
10-22-2003, 11:18 PM
Originally posted by mopar 400
TONY, knows only one speed. FAST.....: Great guy to throw the hammer down with. A lot fun to ride with... Hell where about the same age.. :macho

See I'm not old!! and your one to talk:p I'm not the only one who rides fast. Hell I needed a bigger bike just to keep up.

Glamis400ex
10-23-2003, 06:03 AM
Tony,

we love ya bud, we're just messing with ya.;) As far as needing a faster bike, I think going with the Pred was the way to go, you'd never get the 400ex to go fast enough for your liking.

I'll get in touch with you this weekend to see if you can go for Halloween.

Glamis

Dune Surfer
10-23-2003, 06:08 PM
I ordered my parts today, they should be here by Wed. It could still happen:D

dirty habits400
10-23-2003, 06:29 PM
hay glamis how does ur 416 do going up olds or comp hill and have u raced any raptors if so how did u do

Glamis400ex
10-23-2003, 06:52 PM
Dirty Habit,

I JUST got it back together and haven't even broke it in yet. By Thanksgiving I'll know how I stack up against the Rap's.

Tony, if it doesn't happen this trip, you're always welcome with us at Turkey Day.

Glamis

F-16Guy
10-23-2003, 10:45 PM
Mopar,
Al and I aren't going to make it to Glamis in November. I have UTA (reserve duty), and Al's gonna be out of town. Feb looks good though, maybe we can all hook up then.
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=77061