PDA

View Full Version : Hey guyz really need your answer on this one

Nate's96 300ex
02-06-2002, 05:40 PM
Alright today me and my friend went to my grandpas shop and he brought his 300ex and he doesnt take good care of his 4 wheeler like me and when he saw mine he almost cried cuz it looked so good and when we raced i smoked him so he wants to get it running real good so im helpin him out well anyways he wanted to change his oil so i was like alright and so i get 2 coffee cans out and we drain the oil when i use the coffee cans it fills it pretty much all the way up if not more than that well so we pulled the drain plug and in less then a second all oil was completly out i was like WOW is that all of it and i stuck my finger in it and it went to the the first line on my pointer finger about 1 and a half finger nail lengths!!! so PLEASE tell me the chances of his valves not being burned up:huh :confused:

02-06-2002, 05:52 PM
I'd say filler up and run it.. See what it does. If it runs good and dont sound like he has any problems then run her till she pukes.

If you start it and it smokes like crazy, I'd say the oil control ring and bottom compression ring are probly wore out and possibly the exhaust valves. We have had some problems with soft exhaust valves, so we ended up buying the kibblewhite valves. If it smokes tear it down and look inside...

my 2 cents

no scence tearing it down to look inside before you put oil in it and start it, If you go through all the trouble of tearing it down your buddie is probly just going to smoke it again, so runt he poo out if it..

Nate's96 300ex
02-06-2002, 05:55 PM
it seems to be runnin ok but i dont see how that little of oil can make it a lubricate every part i could be wrong:huh

02-06-2002, 05:59 PM
A little oil can't lube everthing... He probly just got lucky.. If it runs good, run it.. Don't waste your money just yet..

Nate's96 300ex
02-06-2002, 06:02 PM
its been running like this for over 3 months he also has a wierd spark plug its like a r3ha9??? something like that and its way smaller then stock cuz the stock spark plug wrench wont even fit on it it goes over it i mean this thing chatters like a mo fo

SGA
02-07-2002, 07:51 AM
Change the oil & filter, and listen. if no heavy knocking is coming from the motor, adjust the valves, correct the plug, clean the air filter, etc. It should be o/k. i've helped plenty of people work on thier rides, but i let them do the work & i supervise. this teaches them that they can do it themselves. you can help some one like that but the chances are good they are not going to take care of it after you help. thats why i let them do the work themselves. my 400 rarely gives me trouble because i stay on top of important things like the spark plug fluid & the handlebar grip grease fittings.:p