View Full Version : help! peice of bearing stuck in axle carrier

mikealexander88
10-21-2003, 07:26 PM
I went out riding today and jumped a few teraces and i noticed it was like a brake was draging, so i looked at the back and and the side of the axle right by the sprocket was so hot that when i spit on it it sizzled. I let it cool down then rode it home. i got everything taken apart fine except i can't get the outer ring of the bearing out of the carrier. it is a double row carrier and has 1 huge bearing on each side. the one on the brake side slid out no problem but the other one had broken in 1/2 in the center peice, and all the balls were all over when i took it apart. i cannot get the outer ring out of the carrier! i have tried heating it, and pounding the sh*t out of it but it just won't go. Any help is appreciated! i would like it ready to go again for sunday. I would like to know if i should put 2 more of these extra wide bearings in or get 4 of the stock size and put those in. thanks for all the help- mike

300expower
10-21-2003, 07:42 PM
try to put a little electric weld on it, it will make it go smaller, and you might be able to take it out, and if your still not, it will make something to put a good flat head screwdriver and hammer it, i did it like this, 3 hours of benediction!

killed300ex
10-21-2003, 08:03 PM
Asetaline tourch easiest and quickest way how i take out all of my bearings now
killed

mikealexander88
10-21-2003, 08:06 PM
electric weld? i have cleaned the area VERY well that it is at, is there any way to break that outer ring? the inside one broke from jumping the teraces i think, so they are not completly industructable. thanks for the help- mike

danney f
10-21-2003, 08:12 PM
If you can get to it good enough. You may want to try a drimel with a small cut off wheel. Cut the outer ring to where you can maybe pry it loose. Be carful not to cut too deep and cut into your carrier.

Meek
10-22-2003, 01:18 AM
Originally posted by danney f
If you can get to it good enough. You may want to try a drimel with a small cut off wheel. Cut the outer ring to where you can maybe pry it loose. Be carful not to cut too deep and cut into your carrier.

That is how I got mine out.

Greg Z
10-22-2003, 04:53 AM
EDIT

read post wrong

Admin
10-22-2003, 05:25 AM
It sounds like you might just be better off buy a new carrier with Bearings. By the time you spend the money on new bearings and get the old bearing out the Burgard Bearing Carrier special would have been a better choice.

Wish you luck!

nuclearkielbasa
10-22-2003, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by EXriders Admin
It sounds like you might just be better off buy a new carrier with Bearings. By the time you spend the money on new bearings and get the old bearing out the Burgard Bearing Carrier special would have been a better choice.

Wish you luck!

I agree. But if you must use this one, grind through the outer race of the bearing with a dremel tool in a few places and it will fall right out.

mikealexander88
10-23-2003, 06:59 PM
well after destroying about 2 sawzall bits, a roto zip bit, and 2 drill bits we got the idea of welding a plate to it and pressing it out with the hydrolic press, we spent 10 minutes welding/ pressing it out, and we spent like 2 hours hammering on it and i know how i will get them out next time:eek2: thanks for all your help guys- mike