PDA

View Full Version : Modifying Oil Restrictors, Huh?

BBW
10-21-2003, 12:29 PM
Not to relight the oil cooler/restrictor discussion but I have a couple observations that I would like to make. The first is the issue of oil restrictors. Having some experience with oil restrictors in general (I’ve built several big block jet boat motors) I think modifying, bypassing, or removing oil restrictors is playing with fire. An important point that was missed about this, while the restrictors may regulate the amount of oil that goes to any certain point, it also keeps a certain amount of needed oil in other places. Modifying a restrictor to allow more oil to flow to one place means less oil in another. Liquid will take the path of least resistance.
The second question I would like to pose is the benefits of changing the oil cooler at all and what the real benefits are or are not. I did a considerable amount of research prior to buying my 400. I’ve talked to a lot of people that own one, some that ride the crap out of them, and some that ride like Grandma (Okay, some grandma’s). This machine has been around for awhile and the one constant was, DEPENDABILITY! Honda engineered a good machine (that’s why we all have one) and while it certainly can’t hurt to upgrade the cooler I, would be very leery about messing with restrictors.

L.Vegas400
10-21-2003, 03:03 PM
are you talking about it possibly being bad to add a restictor the extra cooler, or about needing one added. i missed the last part of that thread last time.

ReconRider25
10-21-2003, 07:22 PM
i think hes saying "why bother messing with it. it does fine the way it is" ?

L.Vegas400
10-21-2003, 09:31 PM
when the first topic came up about this, i thought about it, that small amount of passageway between your filter and where the new line starts only lets so much through anyway. its like puting larger tips on an exhaust, it doesnt make it flow anybetter, now larger tube from the port back would.

BBW
10-22-2003, 12:27 PM
I think ReconRider hit it right on, why mess with something that’s working. For many, probably most of us, restrictors are not something to mess with. If the correct amount of oil was not getting where it was supposed to go when it was supposed to go there, we would all be riding Yamaha’s.