PDA

View Full Version : Shock bushing freeplay (PEP)

JOEX
10-20-2003, 08:15 PM
I recently picked up a set of used PEP front shocks. I have them installed and noticed some freeplay in the lower bushings on both sides. It seems to be close to 1/16" up and down. The side to side freeplay is very minimal if any.

I did some comparison measuring and I think the hole on the shock itself might be out of round, more of an oval shape rather than round.

How much of this is normal? Where do I get new bushings if needed? How do I get the right size?

Joe

Pappy
10-20-2003, 08:50 PM
whats the movement once they are installed?

if new bushings are required let me know and ill get ya a set:)

JOEX
10-20-2003, 08:56 PM
One side is completely installed, waiting on the upper a-arm for the other side. Both sides have play but the one that is not completed is easier to move of course.

I'm still a little concerned about the out of roundness on the shock itself. I need to do some more accurate measuring to see if they are actually out of round.

Joe

JOEX
10-21-2003, 12:30 PM
OK, I don't think I need to be concerned about the out of roundness of the shock itself.

The bushing is the thin sleeve that the two pices the bolt goes through (collars?) rest in, correct?
Don't laugh, i'm still learning!:p

If so, they are definatly shot. Just by looking at them I can see less material on the upper and lower portions compared to the sides.

How do I go about replacing them? Do I need to get them directly from PEP? About how much $? Should I do the uppers as well?

Thanks, Joe

JOEX
10-21-2003, 08:56 PM
BUMP.....

It seem this is a subject that either no one knows about or are not willing to share:(

I did a search of the site for 'bushings' and came up with 503 threads. Several with the same questions. Sifted through them and came up with nothing:(

Somebody has to know something:confused:

Joe

cdalejef
10-21-2003, 08:59 PM
Call Baldwin for the replacement bushings. They aren't very expensive.

JOEX
10-21-2003, 09:11 PM
Thanks Jeff.

Any tips on how to remove the old ones?

Joe

bmw500hp
10-21-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by Pappy
whats the movement once they are installed?

if new bushings are required let me know and ill get ya a set:)

I had two sets of peps, both of em were that way. Personally it didn't bother me but if you "like it tight" lol Maybe ya didn't see this post Joe,

pappy's gotcha covered! :cool:

pnut420
10-21-2003, 10:52 PM
I just picked up a used set as well, I just checked them out and my bushings were like new, the only concern I have is the clunk they make when fully extended:confused:

JOEX
10-21-2003, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by bmw500hp
I had two sets of peps, both of em were that way. Personally it didn't bother me but if you "like it tight" lol Maybe ya didn't see this post Joe,

pappy's gotcha covered! :cool:
In most cases I like it tighter than looser:D This is one of those cases;) The movement is substantial IMO.

I would still like to know how to remove and replace them.........:)

Joe

JOEX
10-21-2003, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
I just picked up a used set as well, I just checked them out and my bushings were like new, the only concern I have is the clunk they make when fully extended:confused:
Wish I could help but I haven't got that far yet:(

Joe

cdalejef
10-22-2003, 06:43 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Thanks Jeff.

Any tips on how to remove the old ones?

Joe I use a socket and tap them out.

ds19
01-15-2011, 08:09 PM
I need the upper bushings I have 450r shocks on my can am and I need The thicker bushings like kawi bushing yfz or can am. Does anyone have any pep upper bushings off a kfx yfz or can am? I have call sf like 5 times with no answer can someone email me if they have these?
pandasroc@hotmail.com

Mrs. SFRacing
01-16-2011, 10:45 AM
Its just not as easy as putting new spacers in the shocks eyes,i did get your call during the holidays and i believe i returned a email to you,whats the c to c on the shocks you have? What a arm on the can am are you running?

ds19
01-16-2011, 11:30 AM
they are 20.5 inches center to center. and Im running these with epic a arms. I dont understand why isn't it as easy as puting different shock eyes in there? If I put different shock eyes in then it would fit the upper mount. They are the right length and in my opinion they ride better than any shocks I have ever had, and I have rode fox elka and axis?

Mrs. SFRacing
01-17-2011, 12:51 PM
The compressed and exteded lengths of the shocks may be off,that is the difference in the 2 builds as well as front to back weight bias and the atv weight as a complete unit.

ds19
01-17-2011, 06:13 PM
Ok so they might not be ideal. but they ride good enough for me will you please just sell me the right eyelets to make it fit right?