PDA

View Full Version : Dodge Stealth

300_14_racer
10-20-2003, 02:49 PM
anyone know anything about dodge stealths? im looking at a 1991 non turbo stealth. right now i have a 95 cougar. and i was thinking about trading for the stealth. i was wondering if anyone knows about the stealths if there any prob.s with them?. i was also wondering if they are fast cars when they arent turbos. and would it be faster then the cougar? so im prety much just looking for a few answers and ppls opinion on this type of car and how fast they are?:p

MOFO
10-20-2003, 02:52 PM
They are slow with any motor you get with them...very heavy cars. They are also known for being HIGH maint. cars... I almost bought a Mit 3000GT VR4 years ago.... after doing research about them and talking to a few owners, I quickly turned away.

BTW, the 3000GT and Stealth were the same cars basically.

300_14_racer
10-20-2003, 03:04 PM
ya i know there pretty much the same. and ive herd there fast and ive herd there slow so i donno. but ive always thought they were light cars

hondafox440
10-20-2003, 03:07 PM
I haven't heard of the Stealth/3000GTs being slow. They are some of the quickest and best handling 6 cylinders out there. The base model is pretty weak at around 164HP/185ft-lbs, but the ES and R/T at 222HP/217ft-lbs isn't bad, and the R/T Turbo at 300HP/307ft-lbs is very respectable. At 3800lbs it is heavy, but it doesn't feel that way when driving. I have only heard great things about reliability in these cars as well. Read some reviews on it. Owners say it handles great, is quick, feels light and responsive, and is a great all around car. I don't think you will be dissapointed.

300_14_racer
10-20-2003, 03:19 PM
yeah they sound like decent cars. but what do you think would be better a 95 merc. cougar or a 91 stealth for a 16 year old?

remlapr
10-20-2003, 03:24 PM
One of my buddies had a 92 (I think it was) VR4 several years back. It was an auto though. I drove it a couple of times and though "this thing has 300hp??". Not very fast for that much hp, probably the weight that made it slow. And compare to the all wheel drive turbo talon I had at the time it did not handle well at all, way too much body roll for a "sports car". I have also heard they are a maintenance nightmare. I would stay away from it.

300_14_racer
10-20-2003, 03:27 PM
ya. im not sure ill take it for a drive and see if its fast. anyone else know anything about these cars?

hondafox440
10-20-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by remlapr
One of my buddies had a 92 (I think it was) VR4 several years back. It was an auto though. I drove it a couple of times and though "this thing has 300hp??". Not very fast for that much hp, probably the weight that made it slow. And compare to the all wheel drive turbo talon I had at the time it did not handle well at all, way too much body roll for a "sports car". I have also heard they are a maintenance nightmare. I would stay away from it.

You couldn't get the automatic transmission in either the VR-4 3000GT or the R/T Turbo Stealth in 92.

remlapr
10-20-2003, 03:43 PM
hmm - well it was around 94 that he had the car and it was turbo, so you tell me. Maybe it wasn't the all-wheel drive then?

Actually - maybe it was a stick, that was almost ten years ago, I'm getting old. Either way it wasn't that fast and it didn't handle that well, that I do remember :o

hondafox440
10-20-2003, 03:48 PM
I kneo for a fact you couldn't get an automatic in the Turboed version of either the 3000GT or Stealth through 1994 (the site with the specs is slow as hell today so I don't feel like going through all the years, but to the best of my knowledge you couldn't get an auto with the Turboed models, and all Turboed models are AWD).

You could however get the 5 speed manual from 91-93, and the 5 or 6 speed manual in 94+.

MOFO
10-20-2003, 04:03 PM
I agree with Remlapr, on paper they might not seem heavy, but get behind the wheel and they sure do feel heavy. I know the person who started this thread was not asking about a VR4, but I dont see how the regular version would be any better than the VR4.

Just my opinion of the car after driving it.

Glow Plug
10-20-2003, 04:04 PM
there pretty nice cars but there wayyyyyyyyyyyy under powered compaired to others in its class

300_14_racer
10-20-2003, 04:31 PM
ya i have the car right now it seems nice but. i think somethings wrong with it i mean it has no power at all it like its stuck in a high gear its a automatic. but when im going and i shift it into low it doesnt downshift. so i donno i mean it starts and revs and sounds good but the power isnt there at all. it seems like something wrong with the tranny or something but the nice thing is $2100

JLanphear
10-21-2003, 09:26 AM
I dunno, but the hot ones are pretty fast....A little under 6 seconds to 60, and just over 14 to isn't too shabby...but as the other guys said, not record breaking by any means. That's faster than a lot of the 80's and 90's Corvette's though....in a straight line.

I was actually considering a 3000gt when I was shopping for cars, because I wanted something fast I could drive all winter. A rear wheel drive sports car is a real pain up here, and I figure an all wheel drive one might just work.

10-21-2003, 10:00 AM
Saying a VR4 is slow, is like saying a 330PV is slow campared to other quads.

A VR4 does around 170mph stock. STOCK!! Thats pretty damn fast for a 6 cylinder. They may be heavy, but they have better handleing then any American made car.

VR4 are turbos and only come in Stick.

Now my buddy has a V6 3000gt, auto, non turbo. That car doesn't have much power. You guys are def. driving the wrong model.

wurrCRAZY
10-21-2003, 10:03 AM
I have 2 friends w/ stealth's and they dont have any problems w/ theres... they are both manuals and I have drove ashley. Her's does a 15.2 in the 1/4 mile... not bad w/ 18" chrome wheels

atl855
10-21-2003, 10:12 AM
i have an 88 mazda rx7 that i am trying to sell, it has a rotary that produces a lot of hp and is quick for it's size and weight

Juggalo
10-21-2003, 02:27 PM
give it up nobody wants your damn RX-7. 16 second quarter mile is NOT fast.

a friend of mine has a the turbo R/t stealth, not all wheel drive and auto. its pretty quick and handles well. however hes putting a 6 speed trans in it (its sitting in his garage qaiting for the swap) and nitrous (thats sittin around waiting for the install too). car should be pretty quick with that set up. he told me getting the turbo without all wheel drive is the way to go because the AWD adds a ton of weight.

MOFO
10-22-2003, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by Curt
Saying a VR4 is slow, is like saying a 330PV is slow campared to other quads.

A VR4 does around 170mph stock. STOCK!! Thats pretty damn fast for a 6 cylinder. They may be heavy, but they have better handleing then any American made car.

VR4 are turbos and only come in Stick.

Now my buddy has a V6 3000gt, auto, non turbo. That car doesn't have much power. You guys are def. driving the wrong model.

I personally test drove a 94 3000GT VR4 (45,000 miles on it) with all the bells and whistles.... 6speed, TWIN turbo, AWD and 4WS (4 wheel steering). I had a 88 Firebird Formula 350 (350TPI & WS6 pkg) at the time, this was a rare car. I had a few things done to it (borla exhuast, K&N, chip'd, MAF, bigger TB & B&M shift kit), and I know my Firebird would have easily beat this 3000GT. I was NOT impressed at all by its performance after reading the specs on paper. The AWD and 4WS killed this car. My firebird felt alot lighter than this car... :eek2: