PDA

View Full Version : My Carb is draining gas out?

quadman21
10-20-2003, 05:01 AM
My Quad has been acting funny lately. At my last race it would cut out like it was starving for air or maybe fuel. I assumed it was my vent hose clogging up, so I ripped it off. It ran a little better. Well, I rode it last night for the first time after the race. I rode if for about 15 minutes. When I pulled into the garage I could hear fuel draining out of the bottom overflow hose. The one located at the bottom of the Carb. ??? Any suggestions? Is it dirty or something:confused:

hollywood43
10-20-2003, 08:04 AM
Usually that means your float is sticking. Try to tap the bowl of the carb with the handle of a screwdriver and see if that helps. If not, pull the carb and give it a good cleaning. Chances are either your float is sticking or you have something blocking the needle from fitting correctly in its seat.

quadman21
10-20-2003, 08:48 AM
Thanks, I'll check it out this evening.

foxhonda_400ex
10-20-2003, 09:27 AM
If you have this problem on a regular basis, i would recomend taking your carb apart and replacing the float valve, and give everything a good cleaning. if you don't you might go on an extended ride and you will be losing fuel on the trip and then end up somewhere empty, when you thought you had plenty of gas. and you think you have reserve, but it still leaks out in reserve and you dont' make it home. sounds alot easier to clean the carb, huh? wish i would have done that.

quadman21
10-20-2003, 09:38 AM
This is the first time this has ever happened. I guess I'll just take it apart tonight and clean the bowl out. Hopefully the problem will present itself when I take the bottom off the Carb.

sprtrx300ex
10-20-2003, 02:00 PM
Also cheack your float bowl drain screw and make sure it is all the way in.

mcmike
10-20-2003, 03:08 PM
Its either your carb bowl drain screw, or trash behind it. The screw isn't seating. Just pull the screw completely out, let gas drain out for a few seconds, and put it back. If it still leaks, order a new screw.

quadman21
10-21-2003, 04:52 AM
Thanks for your replys. Last night I took the bottom off the carb and checked it out. Although it did have some sediment and even a peice of leaf??? in it, it was the float valve. The float valve had a rig build up on the rubber tip. This caused the float valve not to seat properly. So the gas continued to flow into the bowl even though the float itself was closed. So I scraped off the ring of build up with my fingernail (carefully), sprayed some WD-40 on the rubber tip to soften it, and re-installed it. It works fine now. Thanks again!