PDA

View Full Version : new 416ex but wheres my oil?

yzbill
10-19-2003, 11:37 PM
I just put a 87mm je piston in with a hotcams stage 2 seems to run good but goes through about 1/4 quart of oil in a tank of gas? Rings were gapped and everything seems to have been done right? what is the problem? The only thing i can think of is the rings still need to seat but alrwady 8hours on new top end!

stupid driver
10-20-2003, 06:10 AM
did you replace your valve seals? i have been told that when you do a cam/piston combo it is a smart thing to do. are you burning blue smoke? also, check to make sure they didnt send ya the wrong sized rings

a1965gt
10-20-2003, 09:44 AM
Im having the same problem with my new 416 and I did replace the valve seals.
Mine does blow a little blue smoke occasionaly after sitting for a couple days which would make me think it is the valve seals or guides.
If it smokes while your riding it im guessing it would be the rings...
Either way, mine still runs good so im not going to mess with it until the season is over.:ermm:

yzbill
10-20-2003, 04:04 PM
it blows a tiny amount of white smoke but not alot and the plug does not have oil deposits on it. Also i did not replace the valve seals as the original engine only had 15hours on it!! Also i gapped the top ring to .014 and bottom to .013. What if i didnt break it in long enough would this cause it to burn oil? I am used to two strokes and they dont need to be broken in as long.

stupid driver
10-20-2003, 06:21 PM
you may have an external oil leak somewhere on the quad. Check the lines over, and hunt for any oil on the outside of the motor

TRX_Thumper
10-20-2003, 08:10 PM
my je 416 pours the white smoke for the first 10 minutes then will puff a little blue while riding and uses a fairly good amount of oil but hey its runnin the best it ever has