PDA

View Full Version : 300ex axle bearings

jtej
10-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Ok i'm sick and tired of replacing my axle bearings every 3 months at $50 a pop. Any fairly low cost suggestion on how to remedy this? I have seen double row and tapered carriers what are the +/- of these two. any help would be great.

Derf
10-20-2003, 10:27 AM
Holy crap, every 3 months:eek:
Are you bearings just wearing out or are they packed full of crud?
Do you do alot of water crossings and/or mud puddles?
The stock "sealed" bearings cant take much of that crap. Pack them super good with grease. I've even seen people pack the carrier full too. Just a thought.

brokeitin3
10-20-2003, 10:41 AM
if you want info on the stock bearings and seals send me a pm. i can get them for less then $20 bucks a pop.

drip
10-20-2003, 11:41 AM
You may want to check eBay. I get 400ex bearings for $18.75 and they are the exact same thing as the 300ex bearings.

jtej
10-20-2003, 01:41 PM
I ride mostly in creeks, trails (dry and muddy), and rarely a mud pit. I don't know what it is but after about 4-5 good rides the bearings are shot. Of course a good ride is about 100 miles a day for 2-3 days and about 10 of those miles are in creeks and rivers. Now last year i went to silver lake sand dunes in michigan put brand new bearings in the day before we left, they lasted 2 days then kaplooie.

I don't know, is it how much i ride, where i ride, what i ride?

I get my next paycheck in 2 weeks so i may have to get 3-4 sets of bearings for only 20 bucks a shot!

On a possibly related side note, even with brand new bearings in my axle still has about 1/8" of play in it. Is this b/c the axle is wore where the bearings ride on it or something else? If it is the axle wore, anyone have a cheap stock axle they would want to sell?

Thaks a lot
J.T.

4wheelboy
10-20-2003, 04:21 PM
DAM DUDE my quads a 2000 and still on the stock bearings.:eek2:

Derf
10-20-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by jtej
On a possibly related side note, even with brand new bearings in my axle still has about 1/8" of play in it. Is this b/c the axle is wore where the bearings ride on it or something else?

Your axle may be bent and not ride in the carrier correctly. That may in turn worn out the openings of the carrier. Just a thought.