PDA

View Full Version : polaris predator

rap169
10-19-2003, 05:10 PM
i rode one today and am not impressed! I was thinking it was gonna be awesome. Well i admit its pretty fast, but it has hardly any torque. Bottom end just sucks. Mid and top end is decent. ITs not my style though. I like alot of low end grunt along with a stong top end. I guess it might be good for the dunes, but not trails. It seems like its built very well too. Grease zerks on a-arms, and rear axle carrier. Thats always a plus. If i had to rate it on a 1-10 scale...um maybe a 6
its prob faster than a 400ex, but i would buy a 400 first. I have yet to try a c-dale or raptor or a z400. and im dying to get on a new 450r when they come out.

TroyLeePred03
10-19-2003, 06:08 PM
first of all yes it wasnt designed for low end torque but thats fixable...the pred is DOHC thus meaning most power is made in the upper RPMS....a 400ex is SOHC thus producing more power in the lower rpms or more torque....the pred hits very hard in the midrange and carries up into the rev limiter which is like 8k i believe....to fix the "lacking low end" an airbox mod kit, exhaust,k&n filter, and rejett will cure that....they are also geared higher in 1st and 2nd gears so they arent very quick right off neways...they fixed that for 04 tho with an updated gear box...once u hit 3rd tho the pred takes off and really shows wat it has...and why would u buy a 400ex first...predator has better overall handling which is a result from the better supsension , zero bumpsteer, and long travel suspension design...the shocks are better and the 04 front shocks are even nicer...the motor has more potential than the 400ex...the only thing id get a 400ex for is the numerous parts available and the weight....the preds weight isnt that noticeable at all..also daryl rath has his pred down to 380 wet and theres rumors for an 05 full on racer so ill keep looking into those rumors...tLP

rap169
10-19-2003, 08:30 PM
yes i did mention that it pulled hard in the top end, but i just didnt care for it. Maybe if i could take it on a long ride i would maybe have a differnet opinion, but for the short ride i took it on ...which was like 10 min, i wasnt too impressed. Just my opinion.

TroyLeePred03
10-19-2003, 08:35 PM
*87TRX 250X
wiesco 12:1 piston
WB race cam
400ex carb
Uni filter, open air box
WB pipe and silencer
Tinners scoops
AC racing nerfs
DG bumper
Reverse mod
400ex front suspension
Raptor rear shock
lonestar +4 axle
cr low bend aluminum bars
20x11x9 carlisle rears on ITP t-9
21x7x10 holeshot fronts
13T front and 35T rear NAcs racing sprockets
custom powdercoating and polishing*

Not much to compare too...lol

rap169
10-19-2003, 10:29 PM
Not much to compare too...lol

hahahah that was funny!!!!!!!!!!
:grr:

Well i have ridden a bunch of 400's some with mods done. I am not dissing them saying that they suck and can be beat by every quad...im just sayin that i wasnt too impressed. And just for the record.....i know some people with 400s that have a hard time runnin with my little 250 on tight trails. Prob my skills :D , i have been riding for 19 years now. But its a quick quad.

QuadJunkies
10-19-2003, 10:40 PM
Originally posted by TroyLeePred03
*87TRX 250X
wiesco 12:1 piston
WB race cam
400ex carb
Uni filter, open air box
WB pipe and silencer
Tinners scoops
AC racing nerfs
DG bumper
Reverse mod
400ex front suspension
Raptor rear shock
lonestar +4 axle
cr low bend aluminum bars
20x11x9 carlisle rears on ITP t-9
21x7x10 holeshot fronts
13T front and 35T rear NAcs racing sprockets
custom powdercoating and polishing*

Not much to compare too...lol The Predator isnt for everyone;) I wish I had our Predators power in my 400ex!!!:eek: that mid range is awesome! I hate the Seat, and the shifter is set wrong for my liking, I think we fixed some of the bottom end on ours, but not completely. I personally didnt care for the Z400 myself. I think out of all the quads I have rode, it would be one of my least favorites, my most favorite would have to be the 250R and the new Yami..... I love my 400 it just lack the power.......:(

oldsandman
10-20-2003, 11:05 AM
TLD PRED. I'm glad that you like your pred so much and are proud of it. I'm sure also that rap 169 likes his 250x and is proud of it. That said their really is no reason for you to rip on his ride! Be happy with what you have but always know somebody somewhere has somthing better...

sweet300ex
10-20-2003, 12:58 PM
I was really impressed with the top end on them, but my 300ex had alot better low end then it did