PDA

View Full Version : Stronger Steering Stem---Awesome

02-06-2002, 09:35 AM
I did a mod to my stock steering stem that cost me a total of 15.00 and it makes the world of difference. Mine was bent in several spots that caused the steering to be just like I had a dampener on it maxed out. I had a local shop get piece of solid steel, cut the top and bottom out of the bent one, reweld them on to the solid, it is as straight as new, looks great and in total added a whopping 4 lbs. Big Deal!!! But hey to save 300.00+ dollars for a new one, I'll give it a whirl!!!! So far its been awesome, no bends!!!:blah

oynot400
02-06-2002, 10:24 AM
I have thought of doing that to mine instead of buying a $300 one. :rolleyes:

Moto92
02-06-2002, 10:28 PM
I would keep an eye on those welds. If you ever landed a jump and one of them snapped you would go right over the front of the quad...still holding your bars.

barbwire44
02-08-2002, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by fearthisracer
I would keep an eye on those welds. If you ever landed a jump and one of them snapped you would go right over the front of the quad...still holding your bars.

Not being smart ...but did you ever really look closely at the welds on you're 400ex? They are of the poorest quality i have seen from a manufacturer. Just set the 400 side by side with any other brand of bike and you will see what I mean. So i would have faith in just about any garage mechanics welds on a steering stem, after seeing what honda has gotten away with lately.:D

Taco
02-08-2002, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by barbwire44

Not being smart ...but did you ever really look closely at the welds on you're 400ex? They are of the poorest quality i have seen from a manufacturer. Just set the 400 side by side with any other brand of bike and you will see what I mean. So i would have faith in just about any garage mechanics welds on a steering stem, after seeing what honda has gotten away with lately.:D

Mabye thats only on FIFO 400s?

barbwire44
02-09-2002, 05:53 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Tacostrk

Mabye thats only on FIFO 400s? [/QUOTe

Hey Tacostrk,

You better watch out, I heard on the news today there gonna start cracking down on west virginians livin with their sisters....LOL!

Taco
02-09-2002, 06:53 AM
hardy f***in har

barbwire44
02-09-2002, 06:56 AM
Originally posted by Tacostrk
hardy f***in har

Hey taco,

LOL!.......did you ever hear that song from david allen coe. Called the three biggest lies?.....LOL!.............I can email it to you if ya like.:devil

Taco
02-09-2002, 08:18 AM
yup ive heard it.:blah