PDA

View Full Version : question on 250r a-arms on 300ex??

330EXman
02-06-2002, 05:20 AM
i am buying 250r arms for my 300ex and was wondering exactly howe much do these extend my front end each side. also if anyone has any extended arms for sale let me know

02-06-2002, 09:27 AM
We did that to a 300ex on our race team and it worked great!!! We did also change the shocks to a set of blaster shocks, kept cost down a bit. We had to cut the tops of the shock where the bolt goes through. The stance differential was surely noticable. Not positive of exactly how much wider but it was noticable.:blah

rhino99
02-06-2002, 10:53 AM
I believe they widen it +2 on each side if I am not mistaken. Thats the same as most aftermarket arms, also if you get the a-arms from an 86 model, they are adjustable as well, like good aftermarket arms for castor and camber. I may have a set of 86 arms for sale, waiting on someone to reply to me about them, but I would like to sell the whole frontend together, the shocks, a-arms and tie rods. If you are interested,you can e-mail me at rhino99@hotmail.com

SUPER_DAVE
02-06-2002, 04:23 PM
Will the stock 250r tie rods fit the 300ex if you put stock 250r a arms on????????????
???????????????????

rhino99
02-06-2002, 06:05 PM
I think they have to be used when using the longer a-arms, but could be wrong?

330EXman
02-06-2002, 07:58 PM
ya i know all the things bolt right up you need to use the 250r tie rods and all. i just wanted to know what kind of width change i can expect?

Live2Ride300
02-11-2002, 03:30 PM
If you put 250R or 400EX shocks on the front of a 300EX, you need to put a new shock tower in to mount them? Or can you buy a bolt on product for this?? Ive heard about this product, but havent seen it, anyone know about it?? Thanks for help in advance

"BLAHH"300!!
02-12-2002, 12:40 PM
you need to cut the top shock mout on the 300 off to put on the 250r shocks right..?...ok...this is to make room for the longer shoks right..?...ok...how much higher would the top mount have to be..how much would you have to raise it...?....also....i saw on....
....BLACKGUYONA400..i saw in a pic he posted of his 400 with this brace kinda thing to make his bike sit a little lower...the shoks were going streight up and down..but would something like this work.instead of cutting the old mounts off.(.it would bolt on where the other shock mounts are..)..(incase i wanted to swap back to the stock stance.)..maybe for selling."...have something like his set up..only have it to where the shocks would still have about the same 'angle' as the stock stance...?....couldn't this work....?

TRX250XFIRE
02-12-2002, 05:14 PM
when u were talking about tie rods u reminded me of something, i called my local honda shop and asked for a price on a 300EX tie rod, they said 30 dollors. then for a 400EX they were olny like 10 or something. y is it such a differnce in price?

"BLAHH"300!!
02-12-2002, 11:41 PM
i went to service honda lookin around for an air-box and rear tire's for the stock 400ex for a freind.....he paid 10 more here in town for the tires and $14.00 too much for the air box....
i looked at the front fender's for his bike so he could shave his stock set and have a spare set....then i looked at rear fender's for his bike and my 300ex.....300ex stock rears' for $160.00 or somethin' like that....400ex stock rears were $68.00 around there...a huge differance in prices there....now i have a question....if i go stock fesnder's for the rear on my 300ex i'll want to get the cheeper 400ex style rears.....can i use my seat with these 400ex stock rear fender's....will the seat latch match up in the right place....will it match up around my gas tank...side panels..and rear of the bike like it does on the 300's rear's...or will it have big gaps in all these places...unless i get the 400 fronts to match it....(witch i don't want to do)...it's a 3 not a 4..

countypark
02-13-2002, 04:39 PM
I have this set up.

You need a new upper shock mount. Only one on the market right now is a "cut off the old and weld on the new" for about 200 bucks.

I have designed and built a bolt on kit that will require no welding.

My 94 300EX has stock 400 EX a-arms, shocks and tierods. You need the tierods because of the length. It makes your front end about 2 inches wider and will let you use any 250R or 400ex shocks that are made to stock length. The a-arms bolt right on. You can run triple rate shocks with this set-up. I am going to be putting on a set of comp. adj. Elka's with SSD (the same ones Chad Duvall uses in the GNCC series).

There is one problem that I am working on. The new arms allow you to turn your wheels so far that the tierod ends slip over the a-arm and can get stuck. I am working on adding stops to the steering shaft to eliminate this problem. I have the steering shaft off my wheeler right now and I am designing a stop that will be held on with screw or a nut and bolt. If I design it for a screw it would require a hole to be drilled and tapped in the steering stops, if I design it for a nut and bolt it would just require a hole to be drilled.

Anyway the system will not require and welding, grinding or cutting. I think the hardest thing is pulling the steering shaft because you need to take off the plastic and stuff. It may be possible to drill the stops without pulling the shaft.

When I get these bugs worked out I'm going to start selling them at County Park Racing, along with the Elka Suspension stuff. Email me if interested at countyparkracing@hotmail.com

R-Crazy
02-13-2002, 09:23 PM
this is pretty dumb, but i have to learn. What are tie rods?

dave

TRX250XFIRE
02-14-2002, 04:24 AM
Tie rods are the small metal bar that goes from ur stearing stem to ur front wheels. they are usally gold in color. its what moves ur wheels when u turn ur handle bars,

Live2Ride300
02-14-2002, 01:56 PM
Hey countypark-
do you have any pics of ur set up? it sounds awesome

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 10:26 PM
what's the 350x swingar'm and shock do for you...+ or anything...

02-15-2002, 05:50 PM
I have made a setup to put 250r shocks on a 300ex.It was all bolt on to.I used stock 300ex a-arms though.I ended up scraping the idea and buying some used 300ex shocks again.

I e-mailed country park with a pic of my setup and he said it was pretty similar to his setup.The shock where a big upgrade!They worked great.

86 250r A-arms are not a direct bolt on.The bushing where the A-arms mount onto the frame are wider than the 87-89.I have the stock A-arms of my 86 and they won't fit.This was one of the changes.U can however either grind the bushings down or use 87-89 bushings.The only reason I haven't put mine on is because the boots are torn.I plan on having the powdercoat like the frame and getting new ball joints and bushings though.

I just orded a new tie-rod for my 300ex today it was 15 bucks with tax.So I was happpy.

86 trx250r
97 300ex

countypark
02-16-2002, 10:37 AM
The 350X swingarm is about 1 inch longer than the stock 300EX swingarm.

It allows you to mount a 350X shock on the rear which is a much better shock then the stocker. The 350X shock is rebuildable and has compression and rebound adjustment.

They are both easy to find on ebay. I paid less than 200 for the swingarm and shock.

Two spacers must be added to the swingarm mount for it to work. We are thinking about selling the spacers at County Park Racing for all of you guys who don't have access to a machine shop.

I am trying to build a quad that will compete with the 400EX in the woods and also have reverse. Trail riders tend to get into situations where reverse is a heck of alot nicer then getting off and pulling on your quad.

The stock 300 engine and chassis doesn't even come close to the 400 so I put together the suspension package with the Fourstroke Tech 330 Big Bore Kit in hopes of keeping up with the 400's.

Since I am only doing cross country racing Mickey Dunlap, TC, and PROFAB have all told me to run a stock cam with the big bore kit, and not to do any porting or polishing. They all said the motor will have more then enough power to stay competative in the woods as well as reduce the amount of clutching and shifting.

The motor mods that I am doing are relatively inexpensive which will allow me to spend more money on my suspension. I plan on getting the complete Elka SSD system.

Another advantage my quad will have is in the GNCC series. They added a new class called the Sport ATV class. It is open to 350CC and under quads. 250R's and Banshees are not included in this class. Only 350 Warriors, 300 Lakota's, 250X, 300EX, 250EX, 250 Mojave's, 200 Blasters, and the Suzuki quadsports 230/250.

The only one close to my quad in this class will be the warrior.