Chanman420q
10-18-2003, 01:08 PM
Ok i decided on this for my engine

416 Bore
TC GNCC 926 Cam
Heavy Duty Cam Chain
Porting
HD Valve Springs

Now I want to send my Head off to get the Porting done to a good engine builder. But i also dont want a 2 month wait. Who do suggest? and Which Piston Do u suggest. I also wanted to know what tools im going to need. I have the Basic Socket Wrech, Tourge Wrench... Screw Drivers ETC. Would i need anything else past this? And do i need to take my clutch off to replace the Cam Chain? I remember reading something on that but wasnt sure. Any other ideas to have done to my motor would be nice as well, or something else to run instead

An What should i expect from this motor? Where do u think would be on the Dyno?

Thanx to anyone leaves positive information :cool:

speedy400
10-18-2003, 06:13 PM
well you'll need-
basic socket set with extentions
basic normal metric wrenched
torque wrench
LOCKTIGHT!!!!!
metric allen wrenches up to 10 mm
cant think of too much more....
porting, its easy do it yourself, I'm ported my 1st quad at 14yrs old, worked out GREAT,I ported my 416 a few months ago also.Just get some pointers and get a dremmle and its all you need.
-darren

hondafox440
10-18-2003, 07:08 PM
You'll need a ring compressor. You can make one out of a few hose clamps if you don't want to buy one.

Eric Gorr (www.ericgorr.com) is an excellent engine builder, but I am not positive if he does 4 strokes. Give him a call and see. He works wonder on 2 strokes.

Do you have a service manual? I have one in PDF format I can send you if you don't.

Chanman420q
10-18-2003, 07:16 PM
ill be getting one when i order the piston. Is there anything else i should do to the motor while its open

hondafox440
10-18-2003, 07:22 PM
Your manual will cover maintenance things such as checking the rod for lower end bearing play, etc.

Oh, and I swear by Wiseco pistons. I run them in all my machines. Wiseco pistons and Cometic gaskets.

Chanman420q
10-18-2003, 08:07 PM
yeah if there compression ratios werent so off i prolly would run one too.......

cals400ex
10-18-2003, 11:27 PM
i am running a ross piston and i like it. i would personally get the ross or je. the ross will be a little ligher than the je. i didn't use a ring compressor. i used my fingers and didn't have any problem once you get the idea. you may need a razor blade to scrape off the old gaskets. the base cylinder gasket will take some time to get off. i would personally leave the porting to professionals if it was me. just doing clean up will be fine though. i read too many articles where "bigger intake ports gave less power on the dyno." you can do it if you want, but i wouldn't. i don't know much about the tc cams so i don't know if you need rockers with that cam or not. also, i don't know if you should get heavy duty springs if that is just a drop in cam. it may be alright, i don't know. i would get some assembly lube for your cam when you install it. also, use some contact cleaner or something similar to spray down your cam before installation because even some of the best companies don't get all of the shavings off of the cam. your clutch will need to come off when replacing the timing chain. i have see dyno results in the mid to upper 30's for 416's. finally, the most important thing, the service manual will take you step by step through the procedure. i wouldn't do it until you get the manual. good luck

Chanman420q
10-19-2003, 12:32 PM
How many Horses should my engine be pushing do u think?

josh
10-19-2003, 01:20 PM
not sure about power, all the tools listed above will be needed, and you might also wanna head down to nappa auto parts or autozone or w/e and get a vavle spring compressor so you can change those springs out the right way, do everything by the manual and you'll deffinately need to put some locktight on all the bolts inside the motor with the right torque specifications, uh......besides all that you'll need is some patience and maybe a friend or somebody who really knows what they're doing to go through and double check your work, oooo, and make sure u put the piston in the correct way, arrow points to exhaust, i found that out the hard way.....lol I felt pretty dumb, but ya, don't substitute any standard tools for metric, u'll be sorry, and i would really recommend using a J.E. piston, my dads friend had a 440 with one all built up the same way ur doin, it was extremely reliable anywere he went with it, absolutely no problems hands down with it, I think they are built to last, and a few grams lighter on another piston won't really mean anything besides possible reliability issues, i'd go with a J.E. u won't be dissapointed, and a hot cams stage II might be another good choice for that setup, but just take your time with the rebuild and do it right the first time, don't be affraid to double and tripple check all the bolts for tightness and everything else, your gonna be lookin into some serious jetting changes with that also, have fun and post the results,

Josh